Pure nickel strings

katarzis

Which is your favorate pure nickel strings?
I use the Gibson vintage reissue for a while now and tried the rotosound which i liked very much.
Are there any pure nickel coated strings? - Like Elixir but pure nickel?
Thanks.

17/10/2011:
Conclusions:

Rotosound Pure Nickel - Sustain is good. Tight fit. Strings with punch. Not too bright or mellow. Last nice. 9 out of 10.
Gibson Vintage Reissue/Les Paul - Sustain is good. Very tight fit. Strings with punch. Sounds mellow. Last nice. 8 out of 10.
Thomastic Blues Sliders - Gauges are all wrong - heavy basses and skinny third string. Silk wire damage the tone. 5 out of 10.
Newtone Nickel Masters - Sound and feel wonderfull. Very close to the Rotosound PN but a little stiffier. Sound is bright with a lot of articulation. 10 out of 10
Newtone Burns - Same as Nickel Masters. 10 out of 10.
Pyramid Nickel Classics - Treble strings feel tight, wound strings feel soft, kind of strange to the touch. Sound is warm and piano like. 8 ot of 10.
SIT pure nickel - nothing special, to soft to my taste. low output. 6 ot of 10.
GHS Nickel masters Big Core - sounds good but you might as well use .011. 6 out of 10.
Fender Pure Nickel - Went dead very fast. Soft strings. Sound is good. 7 out of 10.
GHS Nickel Masters - Bass strings feel like sanding paper. 3 out of 10.
DR Pure Nickel - Very nice. Sounds great. not to tight or soft. 8 out of 10.
Ernie Ball Pure Nickel - Too wick and soft. Low output. 5 out of 10.
Curt Mangan - Bright strings. not too tight. 8 out of 10.

Last edited:

corn husk bag

Hi Katarsis,
I started using Snake Oil pure nickels about a month and a half ago or so. I tried most everything else but the Snake Oils are my favorite strings for tonal quality and playability.

Kind Regards,
Steve

tazzboy

Silver Supporting Member
Right Now I am using GHS strings. But I am going to try out SOB as soon as Dean Mails my order out to me.

Dean where's my Strings?

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Right Now I am using GHS strings. But I am going to try out SOB as soon as Dean Mails my order out to me.

Dean where's my Strings?

I used to be a loyal SOB user, but after finding out how smoothly wound GHS strings are, and after dealing with SOB's extended delivery times, I've converted to GHS.

DraggAmps

I used to be a loyal SOB user, but after finding out how smoothly wound GHS strings are, and after dealing with SOB's extended delivery times, I've converted to GHS.
The GHS are comparable? Have you tried Pyramid? I've mostly played metal for my guitar playing "career" and only started playing blues and rock a couple years ago, so strings haven't mattered a whole lot to me as long as they were thick! I've been buying tons of "boutique" picks lately and I want to try some of the "better" strings than the Cleartones I've been using. I'm kind of worried about ordering Snake Oils.

AkrW

Silver Supporting Member
Ernie Ball Rock'N'Roll feel and sound really good on my old Les Paul.

katarzis

I tried the snake oil, they are very good strings, but i prefered the Gibson vintage reissue/les paul (same strings), and the Rotosound Pure Nickel - blues players - you should really try the Rotosound.

I've used lots of nickel strings including Snake Oil

I switched from Snake Oil to Fender's new USA-made pure nickel strings (made in their new USA factory) and they're good strings

Pyramid nickels are also good, and Ernie Ball pure nickels. There is very little difference between pyramid, ernie ball, fender(usa) and snake oil when it comes to their pure nickel strings although i've gotten a bad string in pyramids once or twice

Fenders new USA-made strings are awesome.. much better than the strings they used to produce

Best regards -T

Seegs

While I love what nickel strings do the unwound strings I find that I have to tweak the string heights (no polepieces) of my wound strings on my single coil guitars to get enough articulation and clarity out of the wound strings...

It's kind of a tradeoff because I love to have a very tight...percussive pianoy bass end...with nickels that is not there...

I am experimenting with SOS nickels and have sort of reached a compromise that I am comfortable with...fwiw...I have never had delivery issues with Dean...he has always done right by me and has even called me in Germany a few times...great guy in my book...

Chow,
Seegs

Last edited:

chervokas

While I love what nickel strings do the unwound strings I find that I have to tweak the string heights (no polepieces) of my wound strings on my single coil guitars to get enough articulation and clarity out of the wound strings...

It's kind of a tradeoff because I love to have a very tight...percussive pianoy bass end...with nickels that is not there...

I am experimenting with SOS nickels and have sort of reached a compromise that I am comfortable with...fwiw...I have never had delivery issues with Dean...he has always done right by me and has even called me in Germany a few times...great guy in my book...

Chow,
Seegs
The unwound strings in a pure nickel set are no different from the unwound strings in any other set--most often they're just plain steel like the plain strings in a steel wrapped set. The nickel is only in the wraps of the wound strings, the plain strings are just regular steel plain strings!

Personally I love pure nickel, round core strings. They're the only kind of strings I use. My favorites are TI Jazz flatwounds but they don't work on every guitar. Among round wounds I like the Pyramid Nickel Classics--they're brighter than some pure nickels. I like the soft and slinky feel of the DR Pure Blues (and the price relative to the Pyramids or TIs) but I have found they kink easily, wear faster, and don't hold pitch or intonate as well as the Pyramids or the TIs.

I think pure nickel strings sound precisely more "piano-like" than nickel plated or steel wrapped strings, but they do have less magnetic material in them so they don't drive the pickups as hard, and of course they're warmer sounding too, so you will have to tweek your eq and set up if you switch to them from steel wraps in particular.

You do have to be careful with round core strings, the Pyramid round core pure nickels in particular--if you don't put a good kink in the string to fix the wrap around the core before cutting, the wrap will come loose of the core and the string will go dead. And in truth the differences in feel between round and hex core are minimal, but the round cores to feel a tad more slinky for a given gauge.

Seegs

The unwound strings in a pure nickel set are no different from the unwound strings in any other set--most often they're just plain steel like the plain strings in a steel wrapped set. The nickel is only in the wraps of the wound strings, the plain strings are just regular steel plain strings!

Personally I love pure nickel, round core strings. They're the only kind of strings I use. My favorites are TI Jazz flatwounds but they don't work on every guitar. Among round wounds I like the Pyramid Nickel Classics--they're brighter than some pure nickels. I like the soft and slinky feel of the DR Pure Blues (and the price relative to the Pyramids or TIs) but I have found they kink easily, wear faster, and don't hold pitch or intonate as well as the Pyramids or the TIs.

I think pure nickel strings sound precisely more "piano-like" than nickel plated or steel wrapped strings, but they do have less magnetic material in them so they don't drive the pickups as hard, and of course they're warmer sounding too, so you will have to tweek your eq and set up if you switch to them from steel wraps in particular.

You do have to be careful with round core strings, the Pyramid round core pure nickels in particular--if you don't put a good kink in the string to fix the wrap around the core before cutting, the wrap will come loose of the core and the string will go dead. And in truth the differences in feel between round and hex core are minimal, but the round cores to feel a tad more slinky for a given gauge.
OK I learned something about point number one...

Point two is just simply not true IME...they are softer sounding in the nickel sets I have tried...

Chow,
Seegs

pennylink

Worth noting though is that some plain strings are different. Pyramid Nickel Classics have silver coated plain strings, i.e. silver over steel (which is not the same as anti-rust coating that Elixir, etc uses). In my experience the silver coating gives the plain strings a warmer tone and an overall better balance alongside the pure nickel wound strings.

LZ_69

I'm really liking the TI flat I have on my strat and will probably start using their round wounds when I use the rest of my spares. Their plain strings are probably the best I've used in terms of life due to the brass plating.

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
Right now I like SOB and Pyramid hex core. They are both expensive, but the extra life and time saved from changing strings makes it worth it. I'd probably use SOB exclusively if they were more readily available.

I like Mangans and D'addario, but they don't last long. DR sound great, but the intonation problems are too much to overcome. Fenders always seem old when you get them, but are ok. I just wish they still made the 10 - 38 set!

bluetweed

I love SOS nickle. I also just tried a set of TI Blues Sliders and these are just as good as the SOS. I don't know they might be better as I just started a set 2 weeks ago, and I have been playing only the SOS for the last 4-5 years and need time to decide.
The string gauge sizes also fit and sound better to me and that's after playing 40+ years.

Trending Topics