Pure Nickle Strings?

gman7

For those who have used pure nickle strings:
Do you notice an unbalanced tone between the nickle wound strings, and plain (G,B,E) strings? Is it enough to bother you?

If so do certain guitars/pickups/ scale lengths sound more/less ballanced than others?

BluesHarp

I dont notice any in-balance at all and I use all nickel on everything except acoustic guitars.

You actually want the plain strings to stand out for leads, but its not to where you can tell as you work down that the D strings changes the timbre any more than it changes the pitch.

I really love that bell like vintage sound of all nickel, but I can see that my pickup choices have been chosen based on the sound of the guitar and the strings I use. Even the gauge choice.

Trivia tid bit, I just bought a new set of all nickel flat would thomastik 5 string bass strings and I had to put a second mortgage on my house ( kidding ) to do it. $120 a set.

Nickel sets just cost more, but are worth it imo.

Suave Eddie

Been using Curt Mangan Pure Nickels for a while now and have no idea what you are talking about regarding unbalanced tone.

gman7

What I mean by unbalanced is do you notice that the wound nickle strings are considerably warmer than the plain steel strings in a negative way? ( aside from being a differnt pitch)

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
For those who have used pure nickle strings:
Do you notice an unbalanced tone between the nickle wound strings, and plain (G,B,E) strings? Is it enough to bother you?

If so do certain guitars/pickups/ scale lengths sound more/less ballanced than others?

I find them to be a nice blend through all of the strings.
Happy I went pure nickel on most guitars.

Last edited:

JeffOlson

I hear what you hear, especially with the flat-wound strings I like to use. I almost wish all of the strings were wound! My solution is to lower the treble side of my pickups a bit, and then to pay attention to which strings I am using to solo.

Classical and acoustic guitarists have the same issue.

gman7

Good point! I have a similar issue with my acoustic. Sometimes prefer 80/20 broze strings because they don't sound as drastically differnt from the plain strings as phosphor bronze. But other times I prefer the warmth of phosphors bronze.

Trending Topics