Pure orange/Lemon oil

mike shaw

Perrier is a carbonated water isn't it? How can they compare it to tap water? Apples and asperigus tips ....

bigtone23

Being that I oil my boards maybe once every year or three, it's virtually a non-issue on the oil used. Usually, it's boiled linseed oil, but I have used extra virgin olive oil on my fingerboards before. It's only a very light application that gets wiped off within a couple minutes. I can't see how that would be harmful.

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member
Our NY tap water could taste good, but it's so heavily chlorinated, it tastes like pool water. You'd have to let it sit overnight or filter it, after which, it's fine. Actually what tastes best around some of the NY area is well water.

Back on topic, there are some orange oils that are pure. i have one that's marketed as a air freshener, but pure orange oil. I've used it once or twice to clean/oil fingerboard. As others have stated, nothing wrong with mineral oil. Frankly I've never seen any fingerboard that was damaged by adding oil, though I don't dispute that such a thing could happen.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Fret Doctor wicked under the frets of my Gibson Les Paul Special and caused damage to the lacquer at the ends of each fret. I will not use it again.

Ron Kirn

Fret Doctor wicked under the frets
that's not necessarily the fault of the Fret Doctor goo... any liquid, water based or oil based, can wick under the finish and cause damage... this is why you use whatever you prefer sparingly... do not "soak" anything unless you really know what you're doing.

rk

Tone Loco

Gold Supporting Member
that's not necessarily the fault of the Fret Doctor goo... any liquid, water based or oil based, can wick under the finish and cause damage... this is why you use whatever you prefer sparingly... do not "soak" anything unless you really know what you're doing.

rk
Yeah I learned this the hard way. Wanted the fretboard darker and let a lot of oil sit for a while. It actually loosened frets. What a mess.

vortexxxx

Silver Supporting Member

rk

I did use it sparingly. It just had a nasty reaction to the nitro at the end of each fret.

Trending Topics