Pure Sixty-Four amps!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by T2tele, Apr 6, 2008.

1. T2tele

T2tele Member

I’ve been thinking about how to write an accurate review about Mark and his absolutely incredible sounding amps. I’ve had the 2x6V6 Mean Street for a little over a month now. From my experience in dealing with Mark, and living with his amp, it’s really not possible to write a review about the Pure Sixty-Four amp, without writing a little info about the man that created it… and his thorough/enthusiastic customer service which comes along with every Pure Sixty-Four. When you purchase one of Mark’s amps, you will receive a personalized customer service like none other. Mark genuinely cares and is dedicated to making sure that the amp he delivers to you becomes "your" amp and fits "your" individual playing needs.

Mark is an experienced guitar player first, with seasoned years in the trenches as a gigging musician. He has a lot of experience with most of the great old classic amps, and the newer boutique versions, so he knows what all of the great amps sound like. In Mark’s full time profession, he works in high tech design, materials, circuits and electronics, so he also knows every aspect of what goes into building an amplifier. From the tone and “feel” of this Mean Street that I have in my possession, Mark obviously has a great ear for voicing his amps!

In my first conversations with Mark, I explained to him in detail about what I was looking for in an amp, about how I wasn’t looking to replace, or approach the tone of my Two-Rock Kimock, or even my little home built Tweed Deluxe, as I’m absolutely 100% satisfied with the sound of those two amps, for their signature sound, and in how they fit my own needs. I also went through the list of vintage and new boutique amps that I had been through, and what I liked and disliked about each of them (out of respect for many other fine amp makers, I won’t mention any of their amps). In a couple of phone conversations, I explained to Mark what I was really looking for in a new amp:

1) Rich and fat cleans with reverb.
    2) Wide tonal spectrum, with solid and tight bottom response, with floating harmonics
    in the upper mid range and slightly rolled off highs.
    3) Clarity and open space between notes/chords.
    4) Sustain.
    5) Headroom, without a lot of compression when turning up the volume… ala Fender.
    6) Friendly with pedals.
    7) Reliability, a solid and roadworthy build.
    8) Low background noise, (owning Two-Rock amps has ruined me for owning any amp
    with high background noise levels).
    9) Reasonable price, I’m tired of having to sell off a bunch of my gear to acquire these
    high prices amps.
    10) Cool look, it has to look good!
    11) Customer service and a good warranty.

From the list above, you can see that I’m describing what so many of us are looking for, a great sounding, versatile amp for an affordable (for musicians) price, with great customer service. I have been through so many amps which had certain strong points about them, but fell short in other categories… in high background noise levels, too compressed or collapses when turned up, farty bottom end, so so reverb, irritating high frequencies, incompatible with pedals, lackluster builder support or care? From seeing the glowing reviews on the forums, and hearing from a good friend/great guitar player buddy of mine.. about how fantastic Mark’s amps were, I was curiously skeptical about Pure Sixty-Four amps??

When I first called Mark, I told him that I would be interested in a 6L6 based amp, because I wanted the stereotypical headroom, rounded and rich highs, with balls and oomph that the 6L’s typically deliver. After I described what I was looking for, Mark redirected me towards his 2x6V6 Mean Street, he said to me.. “forget what you have heard from the 2x6V6 based amps out there and trust me, this amp will deliver what you are looking for”… he said "If it doesn't completely deliver what you are looking for, then send it back and I will build you one of my 6L6 Classics". Mark also said "I'm not trying to sell you a cabinet, BUT.. if you really want to hear my amps at their absolute best, then I'll send you out one of my cabinets", so I decided to go with one of his 1x12 closed back/ported front cabs. Man, thank goodness I trusted this guy that I didn’t even know?!

All I can say is... "BELIEVE AND TRUST THE GLOWING REVIEWS"… Mark delivers the goods with this amp and cabinet, as this setup honestly exceeds everything I expected in this style of amp!

The word that Mark uses a lot to describe his amps is… "Organic", and this really is an appropriate word to use for this amp. It is so player friendly, it just does anything you want it to do with ease, all with a beautiful sound stage, pleasing tones, and it has zero background noise... love it! This is by far the most user friendly amp I've ever played through. When you plug into the Mean-Street, it's like the amp just dissapears, your completely hard wired into the music and you really don't even think about the amp... it's "Organic"!

I'll cut it off here for now, and I'll relay what cabs, speakers, guitars and effects I've tried with the Mean-Street in a following post. I’ll get some pictures loaded, this one came in an optional mahogany cabinet, so it is extra purdy!!

Thank you Mark...:AOK

T2

2. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

T2,
    Welcome to the Pure 64 family!! I have 2 of Mark's amps. The 6L6 MSC, and the Nitro. I'm just wondering what I should get next!?! Mark is a very talented builder and I'm confident he could build me an amp that gets any kind of tone I want. I'm one of the lucky ones who's within driving distance of Mark. It's about 200 miles round trip, but I always come back with better tone. :)

Congrats! :BEER

3. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for this....my heart rate jumped up about 20 beats.......Nitro on the way!

4. dspblues

The Nitro is quite the amp... please let me/us know what you think when you get it. Curious to see what other owners think.

5. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

You are a 100% right! I could not agree with you more and I am loving the heck out of mine.
    Enjoy :BEER

6. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

I have the 6L6 version. Very cool.

7. bluetweed

bluetweed Supporting Member

great guy, has some very good ears! Brads amp (6V6) was over the top.

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I was very impressed by the 64 I had but thought it didn't quite suit my style and ended up selling it. Based on my experiences Mark seems quite knowledgeable and extremely dedicated to (actual and former) customers. Now, due to some unusual circumstances I have another 64 coming with one of Mark's cabs.

BTW, the only 'bonus' feature I can think of that might be neat to add is a footswitch to flip between two "curve" settings. So you can jump fender to jtm without fiddling knobs.

9. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

+1 For Pure Sixty Four Amps.
    I am a proud owner of a Pure Sixty Four "Mean Street" courtesy of Zoooombiex (Thanks Chris).
    That's awesome you have another Pure 64 coming!
    My personal experience with Mark at Pure Sixty Four has been awesome and outstanding.
    He really knows his stuff, Mark is such a "Tone Connoisseur" and he has the ability, knowledge and gift to build such a truly amazing amplifier.
    Thanks Mark...

10. dspblues

Wasn't there something funky with the tubes when you got it? Chris, maybe that's why it didn't suit your style? Just wondering.

11. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Yeah, somewhere before me a 12ax7 and a 12at7 got switched ... but it sounded good enough that I never even thought to check it for a problem!

There was also a 12ax7 that seemed weak, but I think that may have happened during shipping as I wasn't hearing the popping that Dean did.

That's partly why I'm checking out another one. It was still a bit of a style mismatch because I've been migrating towards vox-type amps. But I did like the JTM-type settings on the 64. So I figured I'd give it a proper go with one of mark's cabs. It still may not suit my style, but I'd never recommend anything against the amp and definitely nothing against Mark. [he mentioned he was tinkering with an el84 design that might be up right up my alley :)]

12. Mowcheeba

Mowcheeba Member

13. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I've got one on order, cant wait!!

RC

14. dspblues

15. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

T2...thanks man and believe me, your opinion of my amps means a great deal to me!

You're the man!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone...I really appreciate it!

Voice it your way...we all like it a little different and I'm here to help you get your personal tone.

At least I'll do my best to get you there.