Pure Sixty Four Mean Street 50 Review Part Two

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mzero, Dec 20, 2009.

1. mzero

mzero Supporting Member

EFFECTS
    I came from an arch top Jazz background, and hadn’t used effects much in many years. But a few years ago I started looking for a more personal sound, and have enthusiastically embraced effects. Though I don’t have many, I explored many options over the last couple of years to find exactly what I wanted.

First of all, when I first started working with Mark, we decided that my clean sound was what was most important, that I didn’t want to give up anything with my clean sound, so we decided on the 50 watt amp, and that I would use pedals for my new found interest in overdrive, which I wanted to have at low volume, meaning acoustic Jazz volume! Which I came to understand in terms of tube amps as being against physics, thanks to Mark. But there are some great pedals out there, and I have had a lot of fun exploring them. And I can say that they ALL worked amazingly well with my amp. Here is a list of those I remember: Zen Drive and Zen Drive 2, Fulltone Trower, Fulltone Fulldrive, Fulltone OCD, Jetter gain stage, T-Rex Moeller, T-rex Mudhoney, Love Pedal Hand Wired Eternity, Love Pedal Kanji, Love Pedal Tchula, BJFE Honey Bee, BJFE Baby Blue Over Drive, Mad Professor Little Green Wonder, Xotic BB... hummm, anything else?

I ended up keeping the BJFE because I felt that they worked the best WITH the amp and felt the most dynamic. I run from my guitar into a BJFE Sea Blue EQ - BJFE Honey Bee - BJFE Baby Blue OD. I have had two Honey Bees by the way, and both were different, and my Baby Blue OD has a real fuzz quality to it. In any case, these pedals work very well with the Mean Street 50, and I can get very rich overdrive at acoustic Jazz volumes. I also kept a Love Pedal Tchula, which doesn’t have a volume knob and boosts the signal too much for acoustic Jazz, but has an incredible blues sound with the amp.

In addition I have used tremelo and vibe pedals, loopers, fuzz pedals, all of which sounded great. The only one of these I kept was a BJFE Sea Blue vibe (I guess I really like the BJFE pedals), because I prefer the frequency modulation to other volume effects like a trem pedal. The only pedal I didn’t like through the amp was a compressor, but I think that is more because I don’t care for compressor pedals in general, as they work against the tone I hear. There is a beautiful natural tube compression that I really like in my amp, but for some reason compressing the sound before the amp doesn’t work to my ear.

One other note, if you use a few pedals, a signal buffer is a good idea. Even with good cables, I was able to hear a difference in the tone pretty quickly when adding pedals. The worst offenders were the vibe pedals it seems, so I have mine in a loop on my small board. The amp is so sensitive that you will notice changes in your set up before the amp... of course you may like what you hear! But it is a good idea to experiment a little with cables and position of effects, and maybe a buffer if you use a few or more effects with the Pure Sixty Four.

Because the Mean Street 50 is so responsive the sky is really the limits in terms of effects, and in my experience the amp takes effects very well across the board.

CONCLUSION
    I guess you probably got the idea that I love my amp! I fully recommend Mark and Pure Sixty Four without reservation. I think Mark is the answer to anyone who is passionate about guitar tone, especially those who have been looking for a special amp that FINALLY gives the dream sound and exceeds expectations. Mark has models on his site mostly so that people have a way to understand the range of what he makes, but the truth is, every single amp is a custom amp, made specifically for the player. So he doesn’t make a stock model. Can you imagine how much you would pay to have Two Rock build you a custom amp? (I am not dissing Two Rock here, I just mention them because of the cost of their amps... they make very fine amps, I just happen to feel that a custom amp was better for my needs).

Remember that I wanted a super clean amp with great clarity and warmth, enormous depth and complexity and three dimensionality, and I wanted it pretty light and prefer to use a single 1x12 cabinet. Seems like a tall order to see it written here... but Mark rose to the challenge... if that is not what you are looking for, I have every confidence that Mark can make your perfect amp too. He listens to your needs, AND he HEARS you. You just can’t loose in my mind.

Yes his amps are a little more money than most at the outset, but he has not priced his amps out of site like some other boutique makers. And when I look at all the money I have spent on amps over the years, searching for the sound I wanted, and all the money I have lost selling one amp to get another... well, it may sound strange, but I feel like Mark is saving me money.

Since I got my amp, I heard an Abraxis amp he made with EL 84s that was the most amazing overdrive sound I have ever heard... it blew my mind! I think there is still a youtube clip of it, but the clip was made with a video camera with built in mic, and can’t even approximate how amazing that amp sounded. I have been working with Mark on another amp since then (well, he is working on another amp for me), a 20 watt two 6V6 amp voiced like that amp... the Abraxis was way to loud for me.

So if you are in the market for an amp, get in touch with Mark at Pure Sixty Four... I feel 100% certain you won’t ever look back!

http://puresixtyfour.com/

*** NOTE *** Please note that this is part two of my review, if you haven't seen it yet, check out part one under the heading

Pure Sixty Four Mean Street 50 Review Part One

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Nice review! I owned an early 50 watter........very nice amp and Mark is a pleasure to do business with!

3. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

I have Mean Street Classic with the 6V6's and it is amazing. It is the only amp I have had for over 2 years and it still puts a smile on my face. Glad to hear you are enjoying, Mark truly builds a special amp..

4. Bama93

Bama93 Member

I have 2 of Mark's amps - they are outstanding!!!
    Ditto to everything you said about his customer service - out of the park....

5. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Thanks for both reviews. I will be sure to check them out... :)

6. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

This amp intrigues me . . . .

7. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

Michael,

Thanks for the kind words...nice review!

8. heady dude

heady dude Member

Ive got a Nytro II on the way. Really cant wait.

9. Jimetti

Jimetti Member

Ryan,

Your amp should be finished in about 2 weeks!:dude

10. heady dude

heady dude Member

Seriously?!? I thought it was going to be much longer!
    :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Have a great Christmas Mark!
    :rockin

11. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I have 3 amps on the way! He's fixing the volume knob on my 50w MS, then I've got my Abraxas and 100w MS coming. 2010 will be full of tone.

12. mzero

mzero Supporting Member

Hi.. I am actually getting a second amp from Mark too... a 6V6 model! I am really looking forward to playing that one too... they will be different amps, and I will be exploring a whole new sonic territory for me....

I just can't see playing any other amps but Mark's amps! When you work with the builder directly, you can get exactly what you are looking for, so instead of trying to fit what you hear in to an amp or some combination of amps, you get get the sound you want from the start and get to playing!

13. mzero

mzero Supporting Member

I noticed that you are in the NY/NJ area.... I would totally encourage you to call Mark and go check him out.... he lived in not far from Albany, so its not too far if you have a car... you can also take a train I think, and I'm sure he would meet you.... you are welcome to check out my amp too... I am in Beacon, NY, about half way between NYC and where Mark is... might be better just to continue up to him... I just really can't say enough about Mark or his amps... I don't think you will find a better amp at any price....

14. Bama93

Bama93 Member

Your in for quite a TONE experience!! Congrats
    M

15. tejastubes

tejastubes Member

+1 on that!

16. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

My Meanstreet is an amazing amp, still loving mine 2 years later.

17. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Hah! Copycat! (just kidding of course) Is it like mine or are you Getting any special tweaks I should know about? Are you young to use it with a 2x12? I'd like to get one of Mark's oval port 2x12's but it's a little hard to justify to the "war department" when I already have two of his ported 2x12's.

Let me know when you get it.

18. gweeterman1

gweeterman1 Supporting Member

dude, you will love it! mine is my # 1 at all gigs!
    :rockin

19. Bama93

Bama93 Member

YOu need to get one of his open back 2x12's - its outstanding and VERY different from the ported closed back.
    M

20. Roadeye

Roadeye Member

I heard the 2 6V6 version and it sounded great.