Pure Vintage '65 Jazzmaster Pickups

Artie Fisk

Just got a set of these (and a pre-wired harness with '65 specs) for my Squier JMJM. Only one problem: the packaging doesn't say which pickup is which. One has a red dot, and one has a blue dot. Is the red dot the bridge PU, as I suspect?

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
The red dot is the bridge pickup BUT Fender winds both to around 6.8 ohms. My assumption is that they wind them all to that spec and the ones that fall slightly under 6.8 get a blue dot and the ones that are 6.8 or higher get a red dot. The bottom line is one is probably around 6.5 and the other is probably around 6.8 so if you got them mixed up there would not be any real difference.

AdmiralB

They're the same wind, the polarity is different. Doesn't matter which goes where, but they're hum-cancelling when both on. The dots indicate which is 'north' and which is 'south'.

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
Well there you go. On my set the red dot was slightly hotter but it sounds like that was coincidence. If you have a multimeter you could check both but like I said (and verified in the last post) they are similar output so it likely doesn't matter.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom