Purging all my Boss Pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slayerbear17, Oct 18, 2019.

1. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

In all my 30+ years of playing I was never a huge fan of Boss Pedals, not sure why, but when choosing pedals Boss was always last on my list.

I don't think I've owned more then 3 or 4 Boss at one time, Noise suppressor, tuner, maybe a few fuzz's and Distortions, so that comes as a bit of a joke.

Maybe the odd one might make it back in the collection, One good thing about them is they always seem to sell easily on the used market.

2. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Member

Good. You don’t deserve them. Sell them to me.

:fisticuffs

wvpv, Neptical, LarryJohn and 36 others like this.
  3. Nacho8807

Nacho8807 Member

I went through a period where I tried to get away from Boss, too.

I was a fool. I loved my DD-6 and CH-1. I'd love them back I want the RV-6 and new Waza versions of the BD-2 and DC-2.

So if you have any of those you can dispose of them to me, please.

4. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I still use the DD-6. I know a lot of guys don't like it very much but I like the tap tempo with the pre-existing foot switch. I still use the CH1 for Cure/Pretenders sounds and it does a good vibrato sound.

rolandk and Nacho8807 like this.
  5. effectsman

effectsman Member

There are some real gems in the BOSS collection. I think they have a great sound which always sits well in a live mix.

Kriig, goddot, martyncrew and 11 others like this.
  6. Moody Tuner

Moody Tuner Member

As a BOSS collector, I love reading these posts. Please price the pedals commensurately with your feelings toward them. Many thanks!

GT100, LarryJohn, cam0122 and 28 others like this.
  7. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Love your avatar. I bought a metal zone when they first came out. After 20 years, I finally figured out how to make it sound good.........turned it off.:)

Not Orange, gght, cam0122 and 14 others like this.
  8. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 Member

Interesting. I Bought the DD-7 and RV-6 within the last year and both are excellent. Oops and the BF-something...3 maybe. That's pretty good too, though it's not on the board right now.

I'm right on the verge of ordering the OD-200, EQ-200, and DD-200, and am curious if there is an RV-200 on the horizon.

9. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

I used Boss pedals all thru the 80's-90's. The only one left on my board is the RC-1. I can honestly say I don't miss any of them!

Vaibhav Joshi and slayerbear17 like this.
  10. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

Not at all meant to be a troll post. I thought I was going to build another pedal board using a NS-2 and a tuner with a few additions as a back up pedal board for gigging or a permanent setup.
    I'm not going to mention what I'm using at the moment, it might upset some people lol except to say I'll be getting more pedals, just not Boss.

Moody Tuner likes this.
  11. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

TU-2 -- AW-2 -- OC-2 -- HF-2 -- PH1r -- SD-1-- Keeley DS1 - Keeley BD2- modded MT2 -- DC-3 -- DM2 -- DD7 -- 12 pedal all Boss board that never leaves my house, but looks and sounds great .....

Deadpool_25 and Pidgin English like this.
  12. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

youve owned 4 pedals of a brand you dont like at the same time. ive got news for you- thats the consumer decisions of a fan.

im sure boss is crushed you dont like them while you continually purchased multiple products at a time over and over again.

13. Madsen

Madsen Member

Boss is hit or miss for me. Some sound great & are solidly built bang for the buck pedals, while others are damn near useless & the waste of a good enclosure.

bigfoamfinger likes this.
  14. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Member

You've got to mod it. I modded mine with a kit that put a germanium diode inside. This thing absolutely breaths fire, and has slight mid bump instead of a mid cut like the stock version. There are a ton of great mods available these days.

Not Orange, wvpv, cam0122 and 4 others like this.
  15. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

I,m sure I wont hurt any feelings.

16. squishcat

squishcat Member

I've been through more fancy gear and hype than I'd care to admit to. I also went through a "boss hate" period after the early 90s -- namely from boutique, true bypass everything etc. BOSS always eventually shows up back on my boards. Tons of headroom, easy to power, bulletproof construction, reasonable prices, easy to replace, sounds excellent. Most important: absolutely solid & dependable live.

It works.

CoachD, LarryJohn, goddot and 8 others like this.
  17. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

Boss have made some really good ones, but some of them have problems with noise or volume that make them disposable, even though the basic sound might be good. For me, if we’re talking compact pedals only, CE-2w, VB-2w, PH-2, HF-2, DS-1 and 2, probably all delays, SD-1w, DC-2w and OC-3 are great. I could use them all day long. I’m not a fan of most of their dirt pedals, though.

18. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

I will say that my vintage MIJ CE2 stymied me for a bit with respect to power - thought it had died only to do some research and learn that it cannot be powered directly off a 9v isolated power supply and needs to be daisy chained...

But generally I agree with all you've said - still have Boss pedals on my board but the CE2 has been retired only because it is old and I have a MD500 in its place ... but it still works like a charm.

19. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

I never liked Boss anything until 4-5 years ago. The new stuff is right up my alley though. An EQ200 is on my xmas list.

FracStrat likes this.
  20. squishcat

squishcat Member

Yes, the ACA 12v thing. I think ACA stopped in 92/3? The daisy chain with another 9v pedal trick you mentioned totally works but may create grounding noise issues (had this an HM-2 and PH-1R i chained). Not really a problem with most modern power that can do 12v.