Purple Audio MC77 or Distressor

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gtrfinder, Feb 3, 2012.

1. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I need a relatively simple, great sounding single source compressor and I have narrowed it down to the following 2.

Anyone with experience using both of these? I realize that they are both high-quality and consistently get great reviews (depending on who you ask), but I'm buying blind here. I'd be using it for vocals, acoustic instruments, and EXTREMELY small/light percussion.

Thanks!

2. KidArchitect

KidArchitect Member

Oh boy

Tough choices right there

Definitely love both of those

Distressor is so versatile...but the MC77 is gorgeous sounding....not that distressor isnt great sounding...but there is something magical about the MC77...

Lol I dont know, I know you cant go wrong either way!

3. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

I would think that you might have a chance of living close to some shop that can let you borrow the Distressor for a trial or, at worst, half the studios close to you have one and you could pay them $50 or whatever to track/listen to it. Finding a Purple MC77 will be tougher - definitely harder to get a hold of a temp/trial one.

Can you check with some of the studios in town and see if you can find one that has both?

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

What KidArchitect said...

I'd probably go w/the Distressor, if it's your first quality comp, just because it's so versatile.

5. Somniferous

Somniferous Member

I vote distressor as it's way more versatile. You can get absolutely beautiful sounds as well as horrendous(in a good way) sounds out of it.

6. elambo

elambo Member

I strongly prefer the sound of the MC77 but it's less versatile than the Distressor. Still, if I had to choose, I'd go with the MC77 without needing too much thought.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

It really depends what you want. Using an 1176 style compressor gives you a very different sound than using a Distressor.

Horses for courses. These are very different horses.

To get a very rough idea (not an exact idea, compared to the hardware, but what the heck, it might work until you can get your hands on both boxes), download a free trial of one of the many 1176 plugins on the market, and a free trial of the Kush UBK plugin that's made by the folks who designed the Distressor. The Kush is the closest thing in the plugin world that I'm aware of, to a Distressor in terms of sound, even though it's not modeling a Distressor.

See what they do, in general. See what floats your boat.

If it's me, and it's one box that has to do a lot of things, I'd probably go with the classic 1176 style box that's been used forever on everything, and save the Distressor for another time. I like to have the basics before I go on to something more specialized. That's just me. Both are great.

Incidentally, I wouldn't hesitate to call Vintage King and discuss with Mike Nehra. Knows his stuff for sure.