1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Push-pull for tapped Humbucker?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by JingleJungle, Jul 6, 2006.

1. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

I had a HB wound w/ a tap @ 75% of the winds (full DC resistance is 13.5 KOhm, alnico V mag).
    I'm just wondering...can I use a plain push-push (or pull) DPDT pot in order to access both windings or must I use something more exotic?
    I happened on this guy's schematics collection and I notice that he is indeed using a 6 way on-on-on switch on the schematics that call for a tap.

Any suggestions?

Thx,

JJ

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Does your pickup have six leads, plus an independent ground for the base? That is what it would have if each coil had a true tap -- each coil would have one beginning, one middle (tap), and one full end. A push/pull with a DPDT is what you need.

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Eddie Carlino told me that push-push pots are less likeley to pop when switching. If you want to explore this, he can be reached at Carlino Guitars after 3PM.

stratzrus

4. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

OK, here I am again...
    Yes, the p.up has indeed 6 leads + indipendent ground.
    Guess I'm cool w/ the push-push pot, then.

FWIW however I've noticed that the ones Nik Huber uses (Yamaha IIRC - and fairly expensive) every now and then do pop.
    Why is that, BTW?

Best,

JJ

5. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Push/push pots also seem to be more prone to failure than push/pulls. Why that is, I don't know.

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Thanks Jim, I hadn't heard about reliability issues with push/push pots.

If true, maybe it's because they require some sort of spring action to return from in to out, unlike push/pull. More parts often equal less reliability, but it would be interesting to know the failure rate and expected mechanical life of the two.

stratzrus

7. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

I agree, I've had mine replaced twice, they only lasted a few months, next time will replace with Push/pull.
    E.B.

8. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Yup, I'll second the push/push failure problem. I've had several go bad in just a few month's time. Went back to push/pull pots.