Push/Pull Pot Upgrade for Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FrankieSixxxgun, Feb 2, 2019.

1. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Hey fellas and ladies, it's been a minute since I been on here because all of my stuff works good and (most of) my GAS has been sated, but I'm back! I got a 2011 Les Paul Studio Deluxe with stock everything. I like the pickups (490R and some kinda Burst Bucker), but both of my volume pots are failing. Might as well upgrade! Both pots are push/pull and I want to keep it that way, so it seems like my options are limited. Who's making the good stuff these days?

2. J Factor

J Factor Silver Supporting Member

I just put some CTS push/pull tone pots in my Epi LP a few months ago, along with fresh CTS volume pots and some Suhr SSV/SSH+ pickups.

The standard CTS volume pots have a stiff feel at first, but seem nice quality. The long-shaft push/pull tone pots have an easier feel to twist, but they have some shaft play in either up or down position and rattle a little bit. I don't hear it while playing at all, so they don't vibrate sympathetically, but when you grab them to push or pull you can feel it.

Love the new sounds, btw. Those Suhrs sound phenomenal in hum or single mode.

FrankieSixxxgun likes this.
  3. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

CTS would be my usual go-to as well, but I see companies like DiMarzio and Ernie Ball selling them these days. They just rebranded CTS or something?

And yeah man, I love the push/pull tones. That bridge pickup on one coil is cowboy twanging all day!

4. edward

edward Supporting Member

You may also consider a push/push pot. I replaced my neck pup tone pot's push/pull on an LP with a push/push (I had never before used one so this was an experiment for me) and I so much prefer it. To actuate a push/push is faster and more intuitive to me when mid-song, live. Just thought I'd through that option in there. Both I had were the DiMarzios IIRC, and had good taper and no issue with either, btw. :)

Edward

Da Geezer and FrankieSixxxgun like this.
  5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

You know I didn't even consider that. That's good food for thought.

6. edward

edward Supporting Member

^^^Neither had I, until someone posted it long ago. I'm now a convert :)
    Just passing on the love, brother :D

Edward

Da Geezer likes this.
  7. J Factor

J Factor Silver Supporting Member

That's a good point, too. I had one of those (may have been stock) in an old '90s Yamaha SE612 and it was super easy.

8. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Another vote for push/push
    I replaced the pushpulls in my LP Special with them, and I ain’t goin' back....sooo easy to operate

9. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Are the tone pots push/pull too? or just regular? I find more durability with standard volume pots and use the tone pots for push/pull jobs. I'm also more particular about sorting volume pots for measured kohms (as volume pots push the tone around even when dimed) -- which is easier for regular pots.

Da Geezer likes this.
  10. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

That’s a good thought....change the tone pots to PP, and then you can get the best quality volume pots without comprising

11. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    The tech I go to recommended Push/Push when wiring Series/Parallel for my 4 conductor HB's - I've now got 3 guitars wired up that way - Live it's just so much easier to make that change and know it's done the first time you go to it.

12. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

I have a Trad Pro IV with push/push and it's not reliable. It doesn't always engage.

13. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I guess I could've done tones instead of volumes for the push/pull, but that's how the guitar is stock. The only reason I'm rewiring it is because the volume pots are starting to give out. The bridge volume sometimes dies when dimed and I gotta jiggle it; otherwise, the guitar sounds great stock. It's one of those few guitars I didn't have the immediate jones to rewire.

I ended up picking up a couple of Mojotone CTS 500k push/pull pots on the cheap from Musicians Friend. Hopefully they'll be here this week because I wanna throw 'em in before my gig in Daytona this weekend. I imagine any 500k pot would open this guitar up a little more, so I'm excited.

14. Kostas

Kostas Member

I prefer push/push myself but it's hard to find good ones, especially measured ones. There is a big variety with the usual pots but noone offers guaranteed 500k push/push pots.