• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Push/Pull Pot uses

I'm going to put a set of SD Antiquities in my PRS McCarty. They're not 4 conductor, so I'll have a push/pull on the tone pot that does nothing. This seems like a waste. Are there any other things I can do with the push/pull besides splitting it?

Please include schematics if you can.

Rob 62

Hmm - I once had a push/pull pot on a Telecaster, and I used it to put the pickups out of phase. Gave a really nasal, honky sound (like James Burton on some Ricky Nelson records), but it really attenuated the volume when in use.

I wonder if you would be able to do something like that, for a Peter Green sound?

derekeugene

Silver Supporting Member
You could do what Gibson calls the 'Pure Bypass".

I did some looking and couldn't find a schematic, I'm sure someone here could provide one.

It basically take the bridge pickup straight to the output jack, bypassing the tone controls. Adds gain, brightness, and removes the little bit of color you get from tone pots.

Rock Johnson

Split
Tap
Phase in/out
Series/parallel
Bypass (blower switch)
Kill switch

Those are pretty much all your options with a push/pull.

I would personally go with series/parallel. Parallel basically sounds like a coil split, but with no hum and less volume drop.

handtrix

I'm going to put a set of SD Antiquities in my PRS McCarty. They're not 4 conductor, so I'll have a push/pull on the tone pot that does nothing. This seems like a waste. Are there any other things I can do with the push/pull besides splitting it?

Please include schematics if you can.
uhh what...?
See Eagle1 post.

rewihendrix

I'd install a tone and volume bypass switch. That way you can set the tone/volume how you like it for rhythm playing and then bypass it for higher gain lead stuff when you wouldn't want any highs cut by the tone pot anyway.

Jason_77

Split
Tap
Phase in/out
Series/parallel
Bypass (blower switch)
Kill switch

Those are pretty much all your options with a push/pull.

I would personally go with series/parallel. Parallel basically sounds like a coil split, but with no hum and less volume drop.
Didn't read past the title, eh? ;)

I'd install a tone and volume bypass switch. That way you can set the tone/volume how you like it for rhythm playing and then bypass it for higher gain lead stuff when you wouldn't want any highs cut by the tone pot anyway.
I'm all for this, but I can't find any schematics to do it.

neoprimitive

I've got 2013 epiphone les paul plus top pro, both volume knobs are push/pull for coil splitting. I don't really use the coils splitting at all, AMD was recently wondering a similar thing. could I have one knob be used for out of phase and the other for series parallel? I love out if phase sounds.

Jason_77

Another thing you can do, if you find your neck pickup muddy or bass heavy, is to use it to switch a cap in series with the pickup lead and the volume pot. The cap will roll off low end. How much low end depends on the value of the cap.

Davo17

Im a huge fan of 50's wiring. It really changes the way the tone and volume interact and it cuts a bit of low mids, while also cleaning up better. I tell my buddies who are unfamiliar with guitar wiring to think of it as a subtle bright switch.

On two of my guitars I have a push/pull to switch between standard and 50's wiring and I love it.

Im a huge fan of 50's wiring. It really changes the way the tone and volume interact and it cuts a bit of low mids, while also cleaning up better. I tell my buddies who are unfamiliar with guitar wiring to think of it as a subtle bright switch.

On two of my guitars I have a push/pull to switch between standard and 50's wiring and I love it.
Awesome idea, do you have a schematic?

Last night I installed the Antiquities. I think I'll leave the whole push/pull thing alone. These pickups just totally transformed the guitar into a beast. I may change out the pot for a better value, but it's absolutely fine as is.

Kostas

Last night I installed the Antiquities. I think I'll leave the whole push/pull thing alone. These pickups just totally transformed the guitar into a beast. I may change out the pot for a better value, but it's absolutely fine as is.
You had the stock pickups before the Antiquities? I'm considering the Seth Lovers for mine (2008 McCarty Korina), so far the stock pickups seem nothing special for my taste.

edward

Silver Supporting Member
Another thing you can do, if you find your neck pickup muddy or bass heavy, is to use it to switch a cap in series with the pickup lead and the volume pot. The cap will roll off low end. How much low end depends on the value of the cap.
Yes, I tried this as is sounded like the perfect use for a push/pull on a 2-conductor pup. BUT, I do not get a tonal difference! Seems like a very easy and straightforward wiring job, but both positions sound the same (with a .037uF and a .060uF...and I confirmed that the dpdt switch works properly). What the heck am I doing wrong...help! ...not to derail the OP, that is... ;)

Edward

Trending Topics

Top Bottom