1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Push-pull Pots Wiring Idea

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by PanamaCZ, Nov 20, 2005.

1. PanamaCZ

PanamaCZ Member

Anyone have experience with this wiring configuration?

[​IMG]

It produces these pickup configurations:

[​IMG]

Note: The wiring diagram shows both pots in the down position.

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I have no experience with that particular wiring setup. I did wire a super distortion @ the bridge to a three way DPDT mini switch once. What I found out is I only liked the series mode. The other two (parallel and single coil) sounded too thin etc.. Now when I wire up guitars I just go with standard hookups. Unless I'm hooking up an onboard preamp. In which case I may add a DPDT switch for series/parallel. But in my opinion, regular series humbucking just sounds so much better. But you may want to try it just see how you like it. You never know, you may love it.

3. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I would probably turn the bridge pickup around to a) get the outer-coils and inner-coils combinations, which I think will be more distinct and useful than outer neck-inner bridge and inner neck-outer bridge, and b) have two combinations where the bridge inner coil is selected (I find it much more useful than the outer, generally too thin and trebly even if it's a hot humbucker).

I used to have option to wire the neck humbucker in parallel in a Warmoth LP-cloner and it was a very useful, very acoustic-like tone. The outer-coils is Tele-esque and the inner-coils is Neck+Middle-Strat-esque (I've got them both currently in the LP-cloner and they're also stock in my PRS CE22).

Out of curiosity, which pickups are you using and on which guitar?

4. PanamaCZ

PanamaCZ Member

EADGBE and Clorenzo, thanks for the feedback - it's greatly appreciated!

Clorenzo,

I had discovered the wiring configuration you suggest, but didn't want to have to change the orientation of the HBs. These HBs are N/S S/N SD Black Backs in a JET Earlewood.

I have 3 Earlewoods, 1 with 2 volume, 2 tone and 3-way switch with coil-splitting and the other 2 with the 5-way mega-switch. And rather than have 2 guitars with the same tone options, I am considering a different control layout for 1 of these guitars.

The 5-way switch gives the outer-bridge and inner-neck in parallel and is pleasing to my ears, as are their single coil tone when each are active on their own.

I have another guitar with the coil-splitting and phase-shifting option, but don't find the phase-shifting tone as useful (just my opinion for my tastes, not knocking this for others).

I was considering the 5-way switch with 2 push-pull pots, but the tone options appear too numerous to recall which was which.

Mike

5. axpro

axpro Member

Seems pretty interesting, the only thing i can say is that you'd better have a dang good memory!

I can remember a few experiments i did similar in idea (but not scope....WOW that's a lot of options!) but i always found i only like 2 or 3 sounds.

Currently i use a PRS style megaswitch, or a PRS style 5 way rotary mostly... with a few guitars using a 3 way with series/parallel switching... for me at least, a humbucker i parallel seems to be as much single coil sound as i usually need.

All that said, it seems pretty cool... and although it might confuse ya live, it makes for some tough to beat souds in the studio i am sure..

Dave Mc

6. PanamaCZ

PanamaCZ Member

Thanks Dave!

To your point on keeping things straight, I tried to organize the tone push-pull to select between the single coils depending on the position of the volume pot. Volume-down, tone-up: bridge inner, neck outer; volume-up, tone-down: bridge outer, neck inner.

This works fairly well until both pots are up.

With the 5-way and 2 push-pulls, I had 16 different combinations (4 repeated), but some of the combinations were real funky (series, parallel and reverse all at the same time).

Mike