Push/push vs push/pull knob for a strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by piloto117, Jan 24, 2012.

1. piloto117

piloto117 Member

Hi, first post...

Quick question:

Can I use either pot with a strat knob? I'm not too sure if the original strat knob can go all the way down when engaging a push/push pot.
    Also, with the push/pull version, will the strat knob stay in the shaft? I'm not too sure but I have the fear that it will come loose if I start to pull up on it.

Any replies welcome!

2. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

Lots of great builders use both on an S type...no problem. Personally, I would prefer a push/push because the shape of the knob can make it a push/pull a little harder to use with sweaty fingers. As I understand it, though, push/push pots tend to be far less reliable in the long term. There have been some threads where luthiers discuss this problem and the fact that good push/push pots are hard to find.

3. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

I have a push/pull for Tone 2. The height is adjustable if you fiddle with washers under the pickguard.

I shove my Jazz III pick under the knob, and up it goes. I actually have a hard time getting the knob off, with direct force, even. Put some tape on the shaft if your knob is loose.

PS: my switch is for putting the neck pup in series with the others. Much louder than in-parallel.

4. piloto117

piloto117 Member

Great! Thanks guys!
    I'm leaning more towards a push/push pot, seems easier to engage than a push/pull pot. I'm not planning to use it a lot though just occasional use, although I am very aware of the poor reliability these pots represent.