1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pushing pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thor, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Thor

Thor Member

Just looking for opinions on what order folks are stacking pedals. Do people find that it is better to push the lighter OD (second in the stack) or use the lighter OD first in the stack to push a more agressive pedal.

For example, would you do Mosferatu > Zen or Zen > Mos?

Cheers,

Ed

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

I don't own either pedal, but why don't you try it both ways and then see which you like more?

3. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Very interesting thread

For now, i prefer to put my fuzz into my OD

then, there are 2 possibilities :

1. I'm playing with my OD and want a more adressive sound > you "push" it with the fuzz

2. I'm playing with my fuzz, guitar volume down, for rythm gated sound > if I want more sustain, I "push" it with my OD

4. Thor

Thor Member

I have noticed that many players are using the fuzz to push an OD.

Thanks for the post,

Ed

5. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I put fuzz at the front, cause it sounds best there in my opinon, then I go:

EQ
    Higher Gain OD
    Lower Gain OD

I prefer the sound of my higher gain od before the lower gain. When they are reversed, the sound is a bit tinny to my ears. I use the eq just to kick it up a notch, so It's kinda like a boost in my rig.

6. Medication

Medication Member

+1 with Bulldog.

I do zvex machine ->swollen pickle -> zvex super duper

Fuzz really beefs up the od. Pushes the amp very nicely and produces a "fuller" sound.

7. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I don't have a fuzz in my chain, but I like my higher gain od (blues pro or small fry) first before my low gain drive (modded bd-2 which I leave on almost all the time).

8. erksin

erksin Member

I subscribe to the 'OD pedal with the best EQ last in the chain' theory...

But there are a lot of variables - how well a certain pedal interacts with your guitar's volume knob, noise when stacking, etc. You just need to experiment for yourself and find what works best for you.

9. Thor

Thor Member

Thanks to all for the great replies.

I guess it would be good to think of a good low gain OD (one that is "amp-like") almost like a preamp, and use other pedals, be they fuzz, distortion or even EQ to push the preamp.

I agree with experimentation - but it's really nice to take some wisdom into the lab before you start :AOK

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

My Tonebone Hot Brit into my DGTM sounds like crap. The tone breaks up and it's horrid. Then again, the DGTM into the Hot Brit doesn't sound great either, just sounds like my Hot Brit with more noise (I generally have them both on at the same time when switching from low to high gain and doing a tap dance :drool)

However, My modded DS-1's sounded great going into my modded SD-1. Gave them a nice, organic smoothness. On the flip side, my Modded MT-2 sounds best after my modded SD-1 for a similar effect.

So again, it's all about experimentation

11. rewog

rewog Member

If I have a pedal that's very touch responsive, or cleans up with pick attack, I'll probably want it first so as not to lose that.
    On the other hand, a pedal that colors the character of your tone - like the Honey Bee - I like last.

12. Thor

Thor Member

Honey Bee looks like a tricky one, as from what I understand it is very touch/pick sensitive, but it also seems to respond very well to being pushed by other pedals....
    Decisions decisions...
    (well, I don't have the HB - maybe I should fix that:jo )

Thanks and Keep the great insight flowin'

Ed