1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pushing the limits on TGP

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Brian Scherzer, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waggclan

waggclan Par 4 Holer Gold Supporting Member

+1... As would most of TGPers.

soulman969, CRAIG4FSU and SteveO like this.
  2. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Supporting Member

Getting a kick out of some of these veiled references. "Uh oh! She's gonna blow!" :D

3. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Rats will be Rats...many notable rats on this site.

In another life, we called them 'CIs'...(Confidential Informants) we paid and cajoled them, made them feel they were part of 'our team' and what they were doing by ratting out their 'buds' was a good thing.
    After we paid them, and squeezed out all they could give us..
    when they were no longer useful..
    we turned them back, discreetly, to the friends and fam they ratted out.
    to paraphrase Gertrude Stein...a rat is a rat, is a rat.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  4. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

I'm apparently the biggest rat of them all!
    I reported one guy a few months ago who was practically begging for it, and somehow I've been the root of everyone's suspensions since haha. the pub linch pin of sorts

CRAIG4FSU and sundog964 like this.
  5. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

missed that, my son...but I think you are being to hard on yourself.
    If you reported him..he probably needed killin'
    Don't sweat the small stuff, Dan.

But, I do know of one sneaky bastid here who rats peeps out, then pretends to be their friend.
    Gonna send his sorry rodent ass a nice assorted cheese plate for Christmas. yassuh!

aynirar27 likes this.
  6. 2leod

2leod Re-Member Gold Supporting Member

38 clicks from the town with a woman's name
    The irony of vague threats against members - in this thread of all places - is quite amusing!

CRAIG4FSU and A-Bone like this.
  7. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

i literally get called out by a few members pretty regularly for allegedly reporting people. I guess everyone needs a hobby :dunno

Im sure there are some who still blame me for Outlaw's exit

CRAIG4FSU likes this.
  8. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I like how staying within the rules doesn't seem to be the first option considered.

Stay within the rules, and no report will matter.

In the case of Rimbaud's tale of CIs, I like the implication, since the complaint is about TGP, that even citizens who report crimes are rats to be dealt with. It's always good to know people's viewpoints!

If it's not about rule-breakers getting caught out when reported by ordinary members, then what does that story have to do with TGP, other than a possible persecution complex?

"I never woulda been caught if not for those rats!"

*laugh*

On the plus side, the mature adults recognize that anyone who gets an infraction is actually the one who broke the rules, not the person reporting it....

el capitan and aynirar27 like this.
  9. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Well if it follows what happened when they put a bunch of Monkeys
    with Typewriters - we'd eventually find a sharp shooter.

SteveO likes this.
  10. teleguy1974

teleguy1974 Member

Except the rules are vague which means enforcement will always be somewhat arbitrary. The line between criticism of a post and a "personal attack" is especially nebulous. And when you have the perpetually victimized (or the person who gets off on being a snitch) reporting anything and everything, could it be sometimes that a mod just wants to make the reports stop? And though I don't see every thread on every sub forum, I've noticed that when there's a single person arguing with a whole bunch of others, it's because the single person is being an ass. Yet some people apparently have been able to convince the mods to frame this as "cyberbullying" :facepalm

Lution, claudel, StanG and 2 others like this.
  11. el capitan

el capitan Member

The infractions say who the asses are.

12. teleguy1974

teleguy1974 Member

Wrong.

Seth L, Rimbaud, claudel and 3 others like this.
  13. claudel

claudel Member

Arbitrary is definitely part of the system.

Those who choose to ignore petty offensive comments rather than report every perceived slight are definitely at a disadvantage as far as collecting demerits.

What constitutes "politics" at any given moment also seems to be especially vague.

teleguy1974 and el capitan like this.
  14. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

Some people are exceedingly arrogant and rude on here, and apparently are unable to see that for themselves.. They see that the population is out to get them. If you think someone is dumb or said something stupid, dont reply with "wow thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard" or something insanely sarcastic that mocks the stupidity you perceive in them. Quit mocking people it's ugly and mean and you're not being sly or clever, its very obvious.

If you truly are so wise you should be able to engage in a non inflammatoy manner, or else just leave it alone because it is not worth your time. Maybe that can be hard to do but it's not about who is right its about being civil.

I have never reported anyone, but have made mental note of the folks that are constantly arrogant and condescending, and honestly they make this place more insufferable than the people whose opinions I can never reconcile.

Anyway the Pub is in an awful state and I'm stepping away. I know I wont be missed. Some of you are okay.

Lution, sanrico and el capitan like this.
  15. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Sort of ironic considering your signature line... Unless you are trying to be ironic with the sig.

But your input is interesting and will actually be missed. Come back when you get bored.

el capitan likes this.
  16. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I think a wonderful way of avoiding such issues is to stick to only defending actual facts and refuting factual claims.

As an example, someone claimed in a cooking topic that Mexicans don't pronounce the hard "G" in "guacamole" and "agua." It was fun to find videos of renowned Mexican singers pronouncing that very letter, and to ask if those famed singers were among the "ignorant know-nothings who don't know their own native language."

If it's a discussion of personal tastes, then there's no reason for me to argue with what another person enjoys.
    I don't think that is the case. Every warning I've ever gotten was well explained and unambiguous, and a minor rule violation.
    I'm doubtful the mods have just invented ad hoc infractions, and that I'm among the rare few who actually gets an explanation of what rules have been violated.
    It is worthwhile to notice that some members recognize their infractions/warnings as fair, while others are simultaneously singled out for unfair treatment.

What do you think is the trigger for the mods to arbitrarily punish an innocent member, possible even engaging in a vendetta of unfairness?

And, is it possible that some members are just in denial about their own bad behavior, instead of being the targets of a volunteer mod force engaging in a targeted conspiracy?

el capitan and NamaEnsou like this.
  17. claudel

claudel Member

The trigger in my particular case seemed to be excessive whining by someone who was previously triggered by something else I posted in other, semi related threads.

I'd guess that it was more a matter of greasing a squeaky wheel than any "vendetta of unfairness"

Hype much?

There was a complete lack of any type of explanation as well, just a generic "Inappropriate Content" which was even more annoying considering that there was no arguing or disrespecting of one another that I noticed in that particular thread.

As usual, YMMV

18. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Well.. the use of the word "triggered" certainly has information. Usually this word is used by those who feel others are being too sensitive, and is often employed by the same people who reach for "snowflake" to argue that others shouldn't complain... while they themselves are complaining and acting like snowflakes.

Do you mind asking a mod to weigh in on your infraction with your permission?

sanrico likes this.
  19. claudel

claudel Member

Are you the moderator's auxiliary?

Seems as if you have all the information you need...

20. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I'm not a representative of the mods, but you're making a claim which seems like BS.

Fortunately, others have given permission for the mods to speak about specifics, so you can remove all doubt about your narrative in the same way.

Barring that eventuality, I'm very confident that my observations about the use by a certain demographic of the word "triggered" explain the situation.

NamaEnsou likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.