Pushing the limits on TGP

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Brian Scherzer, Dec 16, 2014.

1. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I disagree that "snowflake" is a political term. It's true that the demographic which typically uses it tends to have a narrow political bent, but the word itself is also used to label anyone who criticizes something the user wants to defend, as happened in the recently-closed sexual assault topic.

The great irony is, the term is used to criticize free speech, with the user arguing the wish to be free of criticism, revealing the fragile ego which exemplifies the actual users of the term. If it were purely about the marketplace of ideas, they could just state their case without needing to reach for pejoratives.

2. rambleon

rambleon Supporting Member

I've also noticed a member or 2 with pretty obvious religious themes in their avatars. I can't believe that hasn't been brought to any mod's attention yet.

3. Dave M

Dave M Supporting Member

No, it's not political. Lame attempt. Might as well ban :facepalm, :dude, :mmm, :knitting, :messedup, and many others if "snowflake" is a point of reference.

el capitan likes this.
  4. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I would point out the OP to the recent posters in this thread. You all are doing EXACTLY what Brian is trying to point out. And you do it in this thread of all places. I will echo his sentiment, and will try to live by it more myself over the holidays.

So get back to the spirit of this forum, enjoying our hobby or profession if you are lucky/talented enough!

5. el capitan

el capitan Member

Yep, and one of the principals in this very conversation has used his own avatar to mock political side figures too. Are avatars in play?

Sundog, I think we’re just looking for additional guidance, talking about words that can trigger fighting (shouldn’t we ban ‘trigger’ while we’re at it?), and having a respectful conversation.

I find reading the conversations that have been had here to be helpful. There are basically just a handful of high-level official rules, but tons of interpretation. This thread often helps one get more of a feel. YMMV I guess.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    sundog964 likes this.
  6. Kilometers Davis

Kilometers Davis Member

Yes, it is political. Lame false equivalency.

7. OddJobb

OddJobb Member

,,,How bout them Cowboys,,:D

8. markdub

markdub Supporting Member

Given all the likes above, I’m genuinely interested too in why anyone would deem the word “snowflake” as political in modern day English language.
    Historically, it certainly was, but had an entirely different meaning involving slavery and that was during pre civil war times.
    I thought its modern day use stemmed from the book and movie Fight Club, the connotation of which has to do with one being overly fragile, easily offended, or told that/believing they are special. Maybe I’m just (too) old enough to remember that Tyler D speech vividly.

aynirar27 and sundog964 like this.
  9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I think some words and symbols get appropriated by certain groups and snowflake is certainly one of them. That said, I don't actually think it's always used that way here (though sometimes it obviously is). More often than not, I think it's a red flag that the person using the word isn't a deep thinker or self-aware. It's a clue (to me) that I shouldn't take them very seriously.

10. markdub

Fair points. Generally speaking though I think we should be careful before urging censorship of certain words that might or could be political. It’s a slippery slope and one never know what term some guy or gal in politics will appropriate next.

el capitan likes this.
  11. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I generally agree. In cases where it's framed in an obvious political manner, I can see deleting the post (not that it's up to me). Otherwise, it's just a word. Kind of dimwitted (along with butthurt), but just a word.

el capitan likes this.
  12. jblake

jblake Member

Yep.

marktweedy likes this.
  13. sanrico

sanrico Member

I could actually post several links referring to the modern usage of the word, but guess what? They are all very political. The articles are from LA Times, Daily Telegraph, Time, Forbes and GQ. I linked the Wikipedia post. Anyone interested could Google it, but I imagine those using it in this way are already very well aware of what they are saying, despite their feigned ignorance.

I'm not for banning every word, but if the rules of the forum state there are no politics tolerated, they should stand as such. Or deal with the idea there may be a slanted standard. It's a private forum, so life doesn't have to be fair here.

IAm MI, marktweedy and StanG like this.
  14. markdub

Here’s the first link that came up when I googled it just now:
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-less-lovely-side-of-snowflake
    Its use and meanings have changed a lot over time, but at least according to the Merriam-Webster folks there’s no political monopoly on its usage. IMO, there are words almost everyone would agree are political such as liberal, right wing, etc. I don’t think snowflake is in that same realm but it’s obvious others will disagree.

el capitan, CRAIG4FSU and sundog964 like this.
  15. IAm MI

IAm MI Supporting Member

In all my years here, the two terms most likely (and absolutely intended) to take a thread sideways with personal attacks are:

1) Butthurt, and
    2) Whining/stop whining/you whine/whiner

Both are personal attacks, full stop. As used, either term is a pejorative intended to agitate. But both are, from what I can tell, fully endorsed for use on TGP - for specifically that intent. So long as there is a fully endorsed end around for the forum rules, people will use it, and the rules will be more widely ignored.

aynirar27 likes this.
  16. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

whoever invented the word "butthurt" should be boiled in his own Christmas pudding and have a stake of holly driven through his heart.

all my very best,
    Ebeneezer Scrooge

17. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

The word doesn't particularly bother me, it's just not the kind of word I would expect an adult to use. I remember asking my son, a teenager at the time, if he ever used that word IRL or online. He said, "what am I, twelve?"

Touché my son. Touché.

18. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

This is a tough one. The Pub is open topic, but fraught with risk of degenerating into political/religious/philosophical rants. Maybe instead of banning topics/terms, insist that posters back their opinions with logical, independently verifiable facts and root causes supporting the opinion. No opinions in a vacuum. I say root causes because facts presented as evidence of a viewpoint might be verifiable but not actually caused by thing outlined in the opinion. I short, no posting opinions to the Pub without your statistician and data present to verify. :D

aynirar27 and sundog964 like this.
  19. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

We so easily morphed from snowflakes to cowboys. There must be substance there.

OddJobb likes this.
  20. Boink!

Boink! Member

Fat chance of that happening because that would mean that the admins actually hold themselves up to a higher standard of having a broader consciousness, more pragmatic and rational way of thinking as opposed to regular nobody who's opinion suddenly became important and has a merit because he has adsl...

That said, I recently used an analogy which had a word "retard" in it, just to make a point in very, otherwise, obvious case (this was outside "pub"). Several members were outright shocked and offended by my lack of empathy and political correctness I guess. I felt stupid for them, but I was the one being stupid to wrestle in mud in the first place. My analogy was promptly deleted by admin because it was "offensive" :rolleyes: To paraphrase Christopher Hitchens "I'm very depressed how in this country/forum/ you can be told - That's offensive -... As if those two words constitute an argument. I'm still waiting to hear what your point is". So unless some Christopher Hitchens appears to run the forum, fat chance of anything above happening and there will be many more Joe Bonamasas and other assorted folks leaving the place.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018