Pushing the limits on TGP

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Brian Scherzer, Dec 16, 2014.

1. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

We so easily morphed from snowflakes to cowboys. There must be substance there.

OddJobb likes this.
  2. Boink!

Boink! Member

Fat chance of that happening because that would mean that the admins actually hold themselves up to a higher standard of having a broader consciousness, more pragmatic and rational way of thinking as opposed to regular nobody who's opinion suddenly became important and has a merit because he has adsl...

That said, I recently used an analogy which had a word "retard" in it, just to make a point in very, otherwise, obvious case (this was outside "pub"). Several members were outright shocked and offended by my lack of empathy and political correctness I guess. I felt stupid for them, but I was the one being stupid to wrestle in mud in the first place. My analogy was promptly deleted by admin because it was "offensive" :rolleyes: To paraphrase Christopher Hitchens "I'm very depressed how in this country/forum/ you can be told - That's offensive -... As if those two words constitute an argument. I'm still waiting to hear what your point is". So unless some Christopher Hitchens appears to run the forum, fat chance of anything above happening and there will be many more Joe Bonamasas and other assorted folks leaving the place.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  3. sanrico

sanrico Member

This is getting good...

sixstringfuel and marktweedy like this.
  4. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I didn't think the term snowflake was political, but apparently it can have that bent :confused:

Snowflake
    A term used to describe extremist liberals that get offended by every statement and/or belief that doesn't exactly match their own. These individuals think they are just as "unique" as snowflakes, when really their feelings are just as fragile.
    "Congratulations! Its a boy!"
    "Did you just assume that babies gender?"
    "Someone get the snowflake out of here, please".

5. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Broader consciousness or plain old basic respect for others to not use such a term?

Did you get suspended?

Didn’t think so

dangeroso, marktweedy, IAm MI and 3 others like this.
  6. Boink!

Boink! Member

I'd say, in this case "Broader consciousness" would be the right pick, not "plain old basic respect".
    I was categorizing the current topic of discussion (that wasn't connected with anyone discussing it personally) as retarded. To prove a point in case I used a very popular analogy with "no child left behind program". The idea that got famous after backfiring in a way that ended up with (what I wrote) ~every retard getting a medal~. At no time did I imply directly or indirectly that I was referring to a person. Again, it was about the general idea that discussion was revolving around which was pretty clear in overall context. So, some, possibly less literate folks, but with a very straight moral compass to compensate (which is m.o.t.n. being the case) got offended and were simply flabbergasted. Oh, hooow could have I used such a term in such analogy or whatever it was. The post got deleted as "offensive"..... to an idea.... for using a slightly caricatured allegory...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  7. big mike

And you didn’t get suspended or a warning. Use better judgement.
    The term you are throwing around is considered offensive by the board owners and many moderators including myself. It’s not acceptable.
    If that’s an issue, well we will agree to disagree. But the rules win.

8. Boink!

Boink! Member

I really don't plan on switching common sense and general decency with conforming to new, blown out of proportion, trends in political correctness that courts possible illiteracy and diminished sentience (stupidity) in order to cover all possible ground where no one will feel offended for anything. Nope..

9. el capitan

el capitan Member

You’re defending your use of the phrase ‘every retard gets a medal’, in reference to American public education policy ... from the standpoint that to object to your choice of words ... is anti-intellectual? :huh

10. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

yeah, we use "retarded" in clock timing at work but i thought the insult thing was gone 35 years ago when we was kids.

el capitan likes this.
  11. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

If you continue to post things that the moderators deem offensive then you might find yourself with no ability to post at all. Follow the rules, if you bend/break them and you are notified than change your behavior. If you feel this is unfair find a different forum to use.

peskypesky, SRQGuitar, IAm MI and 2 others like this.
  12. big mike

I wouldn’t suggest continuing in this manner

13. Boink!

Boink! Member

I'm not defending anything, as there is nothing to defend. The choice of words is not really relevant. If I wanted to sound intellectual I could have written a disclaimer about the intended use of the word "retard" in context of a policy that is for some time now, almost a running joke about how it "brought down"" the educational system to shambles by letting everyone pass everything everywhere leading to more and more incompetent people in their respective workplaces. Instead I cut it short, which was a mistake as I didn't write a disclaimer. Hence people reading missed the intended context by getting into an endless loop in essence tilting on the apparently prohibited words that upset them...

Further more: I can't remember the speaker who said it, but one of more prominent comments depicting the system went on something like this:

"When I was a kid, we had a race track and racing completions every year. The winner would get a medal... and that was it. Then, they decided that the 2nd place would also get a medal and so would the 3rd. Having forth place have a medal was a bit too much so then we had medals for best sportsmanship, and best style for running the rest, as well as getting a medal for just being able to get from point A to point B in race since it's attempt that counts" - This was ofc exaggerated in her view (can't remember her name sorry) but colorfully proves a point.

There was another, more prominent speaker on Ted Talks that showed a nice statistics about higher education and how the number of star graduates steadily climbed as the years of lowering the bar went on, which resulted in half incompetent people being judges who don't, on some occasions, really understand the law they are expected to understand above and beyond the written letter (spirit of the law).

I apologize for not providing the reference since I saw these a while ago. But here's a good "comical" overview. Actually, the end depicts the forum and mindset a bit as well ;)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  14. sanrico

sanrico Member

Wow. I applaud the patience of the mods in this page. I would be mashing that nuke button so hard, it would break.

15. geetaruke

geetaruke Member

16. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Member

[​IMG]

Scrapperz, ERGExplorer and shane88 like this.
  17. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf Silver Supporting Member

They likely miss a lot...they couldn't possibly watch every post in every thread IMHO.

marktweedy likes this.
  18. SteveO

SteveO Member

One thing I learned long ago (in rehab, no less) is that we are free to do anything we choose. However, we must accept the fact that there are always consequences for our actions. Sometimes the consequences are positive, sometimes negative, but there are ALWAYS consequences. Therefore, it is generally advisable to consider the possible consequences carefully before acting.

19. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

They rely heavily on reports, they've said.

I don't see much mod interaction in threads these days. I think that's too bad. I'm guessing they spend too much time cleaning up after us.

Social Exodus and el capitan like this.
  20. big mike