put a Twin in the car trunk or back seat?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PRNDL, Aug 12, 2008.

1. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

In a small car, do you prefer to put a large amp (e.g. Fender Twin) into the trunk or in the back seat?

Getting a heavy amp into the trunk can be physically challenging, plus the amp is large, which is a problem with small trunks.

Putting the amp in the back seat is much easier, but it's not very secure. A twin is wider than the front seat, which means you have to put it in the back seat (behind the passenger seat) where it sits on its side. It's not very secure.

Is there a secret trick to this?

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

The trick is to put it in the back seat and push the front passenger seat back to lock it in place. I also use the reclining position to further secure it.

3. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

Thanks -- I just got it into place like that, which wasn't easy!

I thought it might be a good post for people to read.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Vibration is the enemy. A nice padded seat is much better than a hard trunk bottom.

5. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I cracked the bumper cover on my Jetta putting a Super Reverb in the trunk. With paint, it's about a $700 repair. Heavy stuff goes in the back seat now.

6. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    I wrap the seatbelt on amps when in back seat-- when I brake (never) the belt locks. Swerving may be another issue, tho.

7. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

backseat always for my amps unless it's my little Goblin combo...which sometimes goes in the trunk.

8. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Always the trunk. It's way safer than having something behind me or a passenger. Never had a problem with amps putting them in trunks for 40+ years.

9. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I would hate to have a 75lb. amp flying at me at 60mph. or so in the case of an accident. Put it in the trunk! I get my Lonestar in the trunk, it's a lift for sure, but it may save your life.

10. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I do the trunk as well. In my Honda, I have little tie down knobs on the trunk bottom and it came with a mesh net. I use that to secure the amp down and keep it from sliding or bouncing around.

11. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

how is it going to fly 'at you' at 60mph if it's in the car with you?

I think your fears are a little out of whack here. Could it fly through the air and hit you? maybe, but it would have trouble clearing the seats behind you and it wouldn't probably be going anywhere near that fast even in a head on collision juding by my high school level understanding of physics.

Most likely it would hit the back of your seat. If you buckle it up then you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

12. Julia343

Julia343 Member

Passenger seat, and use the seat belt on it. don't forget to put yours on though, otherwise a cop might get a good laugh.

Cop: "I notice you have a seat belt around your amp but aren't wearing yours."
    You: "I didn't want the amp to get damaged in case of an accident."

Seriously, back seat. Speakers facing the seat back. Use the seat belt on it. Recline the front seat to wedge it in place. Amp heads? Trunk.

13. oldrock

oldrock Member

I like using the trunk for larger amps but if the amp is small enough to fit on the back floorboard, that is even better. main thing is to have it secured so amp doesn't bang around too much. I have broken tubes more than once because i didn't secure my amp properly in the car.

Probably worst thing for them is to set them upright and then let them fall over under hard braking. Will break tubes and very hard on amp. I had it happen on a marshall combo amp once (was in hurry and set upright in back seat). Not only did it crack tubes, it also cost me close to $100 to have the amp troubleshot and problem fixed. Now I either lay flat in trunk or upright on floorboard of back seat of car so amp can't ever tip over.

14. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I put it in the back of my Ford Escape.

Problem solved. :D

Seriously...if it were TOO big to get in the back seat easily...I'd put a blanket or two down in the trunk and put the amp in after.

S.
    j

15. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

When I had a passenger type car I always put the amp on the rear seat behind the front passenger seat, pedal board in between front seat back and amp, then recline the front seat back to secure it all. If the guitar has a hardshell case, it can be put upright on the floor between the amp and seat back as well. I slide the front seat back against the load and recline it for a tighter fit, just like Slider313 said.

I put guitars in the trunk - out of sight, out of mind, and way easier to lift a guitar in and out of the trunk than it is an amp.

If the seam on you're trunk lid is really low, it's easy to put an amp in. If the lid is cut higher up on the car's body, it's a lot harder to lift a heavy amp in and out of the trunk. The back seat has been easier on all my cars, so that's where the amp goes.

Now I drive a Toyota Rav4. The back seats are removable, and there are two side doors and a rear door - WAY easier to load than a passenger car, IMHO, but no trunk, so there's no out of sight out of mind protection for guitars.

Dana O.

16. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

For a while I was throwing my 67 SR in the front seat of my Ford Ranger. Threw my back out every time. No longer have the amp, or the truck, but still have the bad back. Light combo is all I can do. If I can't heft it in/out of a trunk, one of us has to go. Old age is a compromise in people and amps.

17. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I thought this was going to be another sex thread.

:jo

18. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    You gave me an idea! The Amp Belt. They make harnesses for dogs to be strapped to in the car why not gear? Put the harness on the amp, attach to the seat belt and presto! Safer interior equipment carrying.

This idea's all mine folks. I don't want to see it in Popular Mechanics next month. :D :BEER

19. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

I agree with Mike, The back seat.

20. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Ummmmm... Twins :drool