Put Kemper on the floor

• YES

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • NO

Votes: 8 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clifford-D

Put that Kemper on the floor, with a similar layout as the Helix and Ax8, but all Kemper. Yes or no?

ShaunOsovs

Put it on the floor, remove the profiling capabilities and power amp option - dropping it into Helix/AX8 price range. Hmm... seems like it could be attractive.

But do we need one more competitor on the floor? they're all insanely good and Kemper is uniquely positioned in a different 'world' right now with its profiling abilities.

I think KPA should focus on maintaining its space as King of profiling and 'boxing' out direct competitors like Positive Grids BIAS head...let Line 6/Fractal/Atomic fight over King of the all-in-one floor units.

...that being said (removing my business perspective hat and putting on my gearhead hat) I'd still buy one. :)

burningyen

Yes. Kemper has shown that they're not content to simply match features, they're always trying to improve on what's out there. So I'd be very interested to see how Kemper responds to the Helix.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
Yes. Kemper has shown that they're not content to simply match features, they're always trying to improve on what's out there. So I'd be very interested to see how Kemper responds to the Helix.
74496728.jpg

:crazyguy:beer

mbenigni

IMO just putting it on the floor isn't sufficient. They really need to do away with the restrictive 4-pre/ 4-post slots paradigm with corresponding h/w controls. Preset architecture needs to be completely fluid, with a GUI to match. A KPA2 floorboard with parrallel paths, a couple of FX loops, Class-compliant USB audio/MIDI, Neutrik input with optional phantom power for vox... Now we're talking.

Give me 2+ blocks capable of running .kipr profiles, in series or in parallel... Oh. My. God.

As for the profiling ability, Kemper has indicated repeatedly that removing that aspect wouldn't cut costs significantly. Basically, if there's an FX loop, the rest is software - with the R&D already paid for.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
IMO just putting it on the floor isn't sufficient. They really need to do away with the restrictive 4-pre/ 4-post slots paradigm with corresponding h/w controls. Preset architecture needs to be completely fluid, with a GUI to match. A KPA2 floorboard with parrallel paths, a couple of FX loops, Class-compliant USB audio/MIDI, Neutrik input with optional phantom power for vox... Now we're talking.

As for the profiling ability, Kemper has indicated repeatedly that removing that aspect wouldn't cut costs significantly. Basically, if there's an FX loop, the rest is software - with the R&D already paid for.
You're making me drool here @mbenigni

mbenigni

You're making me drool here @mbenigni

382f90313fde253278147683a666aa27c79a4cdaa57791c383b1ad1f01d4bd26.jpg

(And you missed the million dollar edit: "Give me 2+ blocks capable of running .kipr profiles, in series or in parallel..." Imagine having a collection of profiles of your favorite amps, and a collection of profiles of your favorite dirt pedals, and mixing and matching to taste. Drool.)

burningyen

If I'm Kemper I don't want to maintain different OSs and file formats, and I definitely don't want to deprecate the existing head/rack units if I can avoid it. Maybe they will move to more flexible signal routing, but they'd probably try hard to do it in a way that's compatible with the existing head/rack units. In that respect, it's nice that the head/rack units already have the XLR and Alt inputs. Being able to process vocals with Kemper's harmony FX and formant shifting would be killer.

mbenigni

If I'm Kemper I don't want to maintain different OSs and file formats, and I definitely don't want to deprecate the existing head/rack units if I can avoid it. Maybe they will move to more flexible signal routing, but they'd probably try hard to do it in a way that's compatible with the existing head/rack units. In that respect, it's nice that the head/rack units already have the XLR and Alt inputs. Being able to process vocals with Kemper's harmony FX and formant shifting would be killer.

I hear you. And while I was a Kemper owner, I appreciated being able to stay on the cutting edge of their new features as long as I did, despite having been an early adopter. But at some point they're going to have to diverge, or the existing h/w layout and save file formats will begin to hold them back.

Elantric

There is still a major shortcoming with Kemper that the competition like Line 6 , Roland and Fractal ( and older Digitech) provides that is still ignored and falls on deaf ears with Kemper management

Unlike a GT-100, XTLive ,HD500,GSP-2101, AXEFX with MFC-101 , AX8, GT-1000 -
Kemper with Kemper foot controller still in 2016 can't be my master midi controller for my entire live rig, and can't transmit MIDI CC# messages based on user control assignments per patch. It's not effective as a tool for controlling my other MIDI controlled FX gear I may use. ( H9 Max, HX Effects, Digitech Whammy DT, etc., and requires a separate MIDI Controller

Last edited:

mbenigni

There is still a major shortcoming with Kemper that the competition like Line 6 -Roland and AXE-FX provides that is still ignored and falls on deaf ears with Kemper management

Unlike a GT-100, XTLive ,HD500,GSP-2101, AXEFX with MFC-101,Kemper with Kemper foot controller still in 2016 can't be my master midi controller for my entire live rig, and can't transmit MIDI CC# messages based on user control assignments. It's not effective as a tool for controlling my other MIDI controlled FX gear I use.

Yes, Kemper is in the dark ages where controller assigns are concerned. And more problematically, they are incredibly resistant to change. Probably the single biggest reason I jumped ship.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I put my Kemper on the floor at every gig. Just a few feet to the right of me --- then I run an ethernet cable between the KPA and the Kemper floor board. Let me tell you --- that's one more cable than I'd like to use!!! What a pain!!! I mean, it takes me, like, 15 seconds to do that!!! I don't have that kind of time!

Seriously, it takes me about 8 minutes to set up - Kemper, floorboard, 2 expression pedals and wireless -- then run one XLR cable to the PA and another to my monitor. If I wanted to cut that down, I could put the floorboard, the expression pedals and the wireless on a piece of plywood. That would cut it down to about 4 minutes.

Rather than having a Kemper floor model, what I'd like is to have each venue at which I play to have a house Kemper --- so I just show up with a USB memory stick and hit RESTORE on the house Kemper. Now that would be a good savings of time and schlep. So Kemper -- get to work on that!

Viabcroce

Put it on the floor, remove the profiling capabilities and power amp option - dropping it into Helix/AX8 price range. Hmm... seems like it could be attractive.

But do we need one more competitor on the floor? they're all insanely good and Kemper is uniquely positioned in a different 'world' right now with its profiling abilities. :)

Well, a Kemper "Player" would still be unique in its ability of playing the largest variety of amps and cabs on the market (around 20k rigs available as of today?) with the renown Kemper quality... so it would make much sense IMO :)
I too envision a system where you can position your fx where you want in the chain, and can run two lines in series (profiled distortion box into a profiled amp) or parallel (two amps). OTOH, I agree that just putting the KPA on the floor wouldn't make much sense.

Last edited:

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
I used to be a stone cold "floor unit only" guy due to its simplicity. However I got away from that when I entered the Kemper universe (a few months before the Helix was released).

I have to say the Kemper foot controller is so good and has such a great display I do not miss anything about the floor unit form factor, other than the few extra minutes it takes to connect the remote and pedals to it. You really do not need to see the head in live performance if you have the controller connected. And I've grown to really like the toaster format, IMHO it's better than rack or the Line 6 bean if you simply want to carry the unit around and want something small but easy to navigate. I can't imagine changing now, even if Kemper released a floor unit.

BTW, it might be difficult for several reasons to make a floor Kemper with an integrated power amp. Size, thermal management, and dealing with the safety issues of a 600W power amp on the floor. So the floor Kemper might be preamp only.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom