Put me on some good AlNiCo speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Crowder, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I'm interested in trying some AlNiCo speakers. Who makes the good stuff? What's the best VALUE in an AlNiCo speaker?

Thanks

2. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

Weber are a great value and can hang with any offering from any other manufacturer.

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Celestion Alnico Blue is pretty awesome, IMO.

Best value, finding a used Jensen A12PM in an old radio for $10 at a swap meet.

4. Rick360

Rick360 Member

Howdy,

The measuring stick is arguably, the Celestion AlNiCO Blue, but they're pricey; $300.
    More affordable AlNiCO alternatives are: the Eminence Red Fang and Weber's AlNiCO Silver Bell and Blue Pup. Weber makes American style speakers, too. Good luck!

Rick360
    PS: I've got a Weber AlniCo Silver Bell paired with my Carmen Ghia and it's great.

5. bandmaster

bandmaster Member

Best value? I believe Weber would be the best value.

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I have tried many of the popular Alnicos from cheap to super expensive. Even sprung for an original pair of Vox silver from 1967 and the Scumnico is my favorite. It comes closest to matching those original old speakers of any I have tried. It has the right blend of highs, mids and lows. It just sounds terrific.

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

For 12", Weber 12A150A (same as the speakers in the Fender '57 tweed twin RI). For 15", Weber 15A150.
    MD

8. James BCM

James BCM Gold Supporting Member

Warehouse Guitar Speakers 50 or 100 watt Black Hawks. They are an American version AlNiCo speaker made incredibly well in the same vein as the Celestion Gold.

LB
    BCM

9. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Celestion Gold is superb, Webers are great, but it's hard to beat Tone Tubbys.

I ran across a rumor that the Celestion Blues are not made in UK? But the Gold is? And the Gold is the only one actually made precisely to original specs? I cant find the article now......

10. rustolium

rustolium Member

ASW, elegante. Replaced all my Celestions, blue and gold. It's gonna be subjective and you'll basically have recommendations for every speaker made. You will need to try some with your setup, period. Good luck.

11. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

+1
    The 100 is a fantastic speaker.

12. mmorse

mmorse Member

Listen to Alex. SCUMNICOS!!!

13. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm... I prefered the Alnico Blue to the Tone Tubby in my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia. The Tone Tubby was like placing a heavy blanket over the amp.

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

All time classic AlNiCo = EV SRO

Other high end (and costly) stalwarts...

WGS BlackHawk 100W, Fane AXA12, Celestion Gold, Scumnico

I had a Weber 50W AlNiCo Blue, but didn't care for it. It was not in the same league as those mentioned above. Neither was the Red Fang, IME. Both are nice speakers, but not killer like the others, IMO.

15. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

All Celestion Blues are made in the UK. the "Vox" labeled blue celestion speakers are made in China.

16. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Did you have one of the early Tone Tubbies? (the H1 cone). I don't find the new ones (H1E) are dark at all, and indeed are brighter than many others. Maybe on par with or a tad darker than the Blues, which are a relatively bright speaker.

If you do have an old tone tubby, just turn up the treble on the amp :) And make sure you break them in a long time.

17. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

Oh, and to the OP, some great alnico speakers are Blues, Golds, Tone Tubby, ASW, Fanes, Scumbacks ... lots of options, all great.

Best value? Depends on what you want. Webers are very good and less expensive. Blues can be had for about $200 used, not cheap but there's nothing else like them.

18. Ryan

Ryan Member

The Eminence Red Fangs are quite nice, too.

19. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

That's what it is...... thanks for clarifying. The G10 Greenback I had was UK made also. The UK made Celestion drivers have noticeably superior sound. Oddly, I like the Gold alnico better than the Tone Tubby alnico, but Tone Tubby ceramics beat every other ceramic I've ever had, including Weber.

It's difficult to imagine a Tone Tubby having a blanket-on-the-amp sound, it makes me question whether it was broken in at all....

I agree the Webers are not quite in the same league as the other big names, but I think that is why I like them. The big dogs seem to emphasize some of the qualities that I dont like in speakers, while Weber's speakers seem to smooth out and gloss over the things I dont like. I think Weber's (ceramics) hold up extremely well when compared specifically to Celestion (ceramics), and I just like the smoothness better than most Eminence also.

20. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Also, the Blue is made to original specs, the Gold is not. The Gold has a different voice coil enabling it to have a much higher wattage rating. The Blue is pretty dang close to one of the original Celestion Alnico speakers (they made more than one.)