Put P94s in my SG - pics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ratkent, Oct 26, 2005.

1. ratkent

ratkent Member

I have plenty of guitars with humbuckers so I decided to put P94s in my SG Standard because it plays so great. It sounds just like I wanted it to; nasty & fat but very clear. Changed the pickguard while I was at it to give it a completely different look.

[​IMG]

2. rustyb

rustyb Member

Sounds good?

That's very cool. I have a P-90'd R6 LP goldtop that sounds incredible. I'd love to get near that with my SG Standard.:D

3. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

sweeeeeet!!! :dude

i too have recenty gotten into the world of humbucker sized p90's on sg's. got me this badboy not long ago, came with phat cats already on it, '80 firebrand. i fell in love the moment i touched her lol.

[​IMG]

4. yanquii

yanquii Member

How does that walnut sound?

Awesome guitar, btw.

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Where'd you get your P94s? I don't understand Gibson, it's almost like they don't want anyone to have them.

6. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

thanks, i'd say its a bit brighter than mahogany, this is my first sg so comparing to a regular mahogany sg is tough, i've only played this one through my amps and never a mahogany one through em.

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

SWEET!!!

:D

--chiba

8. ratkent

ratkent Member

I was actually looking for a P90 equipped guitar when I came across a guy selling a new P94R locally for really cheap because he had quit carrying Gibson stuff. That's what got me started on this project. I then looked on ebay for a P94T but gave up after a while and got a new one from music123.com. So both pickups together cost me right at $155.

9. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

I had the same experience trying to get some P94's. Called quite a few dealers listed on the Gibson site and they all said they didn't have them and don't bother ordering them. Absolutely no way to tell when or if they would get the order filled.

Interesting way to do business isn't it.

Finally found a set on ebay and another set in the emporium section.

I have a HB2 coming back from John Ingram next week with a newly installed set and some other changes. Should be a fun
    day. John says they sound great.

10. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Awesome looking guitar, bet it sounds great. I myself have an R6 Goldtop that has immediately become my favorite guitar, making think about putting phat cats in my standard to see if I come close. A few years back Gibson Canada made a Gordie Johnson (Big Sugar, Grady) sig. SG with P 94's, never heard much about them, but it looks awesome and I bet sounds great.