Putting a humbucker in a Telecaster. Please check my grocery list.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gamle John, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

I have a Fender US Telecaster from ’04. The stock pickups are noisy and not very good, so I have decided to change them.

For the bridge position I am thinking a Seymour Duncan Antiquity II single coil, and for the neck I am thinking a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker.

Is this a bad choice?

This is my grocery list:

The pickguard
    The sigle coil
    The humbucker

Do I need anything else? Pots, caps, ANYTHING? Please provide me with a link to the items I need.

2. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Going to need a new bridge to fit the HB in, no?

3. mainsale

mainsale Member

Some of the noise is from poor shielding. Do that first. Then you have a lot of choices. I did two. One a Lollar Imperial neck and Special-T bridge with 3-way switching and my current favorite, a Fralin P-92 in the neck wiht a Blues Special in the bridge with 4-way switching. You should also switch to a vintage bridge with compensated saddles while you are at it. You will love the end results!

4. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Not a bad choice, though I'd go for the SD '59 or Jazz instead, I think they mate better with a traditional Tele bridge pickup b/c they have a less dominating midrange voice. Some tips:

1. Check Warmoth for the pickguard, they might save you a few krones.
    2. Consider getting the humbucker with a 4-connector lead. Reason: if you wire up the middle position for half the hb (just the "slug" coil) and the Antiquity, you'll get a second hum-cancelling arrangement. A nice 2nd option, very useful.
    3. You'll want to change the volume pot to 500K- the stock 250K rolls off more highs from the hb, the sound will probably be too dark compared to a stock Gibson neck hb.

Good luck with the project.

5. Nightfly27

Nightfly27 Member

Think aboot a Harmonic Design single coil bridge pup. They seem to get vintage/trad single coil tones with higher output levels, so it'll keep up with the neck 'bucker volume better than a "normal" single coil...

NF

6. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

You may want to consider the Duncan Antiquity neck position humbucker also. Nice warm tones...though not for high-gain material since it's not potted.

I have a Telly set-up like that and it's sounds great.

Just a thought...but whatever you decide...good luck!

[​IMG]

7. leoman57

leoman57 Guest

Warmoth does make very nice pickguards, they also make concentric pots. I use them on 2 guitars and once you're used to them, they work very well. Use one in the front for both volumes and the back just for the tone. It will make it very easy to adjust your mix of pickups (neck and bridge) when using both pickups. It's hard to find a sweet spot having to go back and forth. You could also use 2, one for each pickup, like some later jazz bass models. Or you can just make it a volume and use the rear hole for the concentric pot as a volume and tone.

As for a bridge pickup in a tele, that depends on what you want. remember a humbucker will be way louder and fatter. A pearly gates will over power most Tele bridge pups. That's why a lot of guys like myself go with the Firebird/deluxe type mini hums. Use a low output humbucker like a jazz model, anything under 8K.

As for coil tapping or cutting, well as a person who thinks in terms of what works at a gig, I use the KISS principle. That's keep it simple stupid. It's not easy dialing in a lot of different sounds for different parts of the song and so many different styles. I do not use pedals at all, it makes it harder that way, but I try to use my guitar and hands to get different sounds. No time to start hitting coil tap switches and such. Although, if you use one guitar a lot you get used to it and it becomes second nature.

I know there is a 4 way switch and one of those 5 way multi switches that will give you a lot of choices if you want to use a tap on the humbucker. I tried it with a mini hum and there was almost no change cutting a coil so I dumped the mini switch.

8. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

Thank you for all your great advice.

I have a question about changing the pot to 500k. How will this affect the sound of the single coil?

Will this pot do? Fender 500k pot.

9. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Perfect thread for me to read as I'm looking to put a Seth Lover pup in my Tele's neck position. Anyone know where I can buy a humbucker routed black Bakelite pickguard?