putting a pedalbaord together for a drum and bass/electronic/avant pop band

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jb70, Jan 27, 2008.

1. jb70

jb70 Member

hey tgp-ers,
    i just auditioned for a new band in nyc. it's a duo (drummer who plays keys while playing drums- totally sick and female vocalist who also plays keys) and they're looking to add guitar. the music is a modern sounding mix of brazilian girls, squarepusher, bjork, the roots, 70's miles davis, and senser. it's very unique, very funky and very loose- lots of space to stretch. in addition to this group, i might have a chance to play with one of the most happening drum and bass/jungle drummers in nyc. that music is similar to squarepusher, amon tobin, aphex twin and jojo mayer's nerve. sooooo.... now i have to put a pedalboard together. 1 pedalboard for both bands.

i already have a few pedals- a barber burn unit, crunchbox, maxon phaser, line 6 dl-4 (i prefer a boss dd20 but already have the dl4), and a boss re-20.

i will also be getting an ernie ball jr. volume pedal, some kind of wah, a barber launch pad and tone press (those are great for putting that finishing touch on the overall sound!), and a barber trifecta fuzz.

so now i need 1 or 2 strange effects. i was thinking of the xotic robotalk and the foxrox octron (i will have to cover some bass parts for the first band). the digitech ex7 appeals to me too because you get a lot of effects and it doesn't take up a lot of real estate on the pedalboard. a multi effects unit seems like it would make sense.

oh yeah, the pedalboard. i'm getting a pedaltrain pro and it will be powered by a voodoo labs pp2 plus.

so i'm already going to have 10 pedals on the board and i still need a couple more to fill it out. also, i'm out of outputs on the pedal power 2+. is it possible to daisy chain the od pedals together or is that a no-no.

i know a few of you will say have 2 pedalboards but it will be impossible to haul 2 of them around nyc- ain't gonna happen!

any help would be greatly appreciated. danke schon!

2. auratnik

auratnik Supporting Member

3. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Try a Zvex Fuzz factory and a moog Murf :)

you can make a guitar sound like a machine gun, helicopter, flying saucer, screaming people, broken mini moogs hehe :worried

all kinds of wackey tones there ::BITCH

Subdecay and 4MS Also make really "Unique" sounding pedals.

Good lucK with the new bands! :dude

4. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Add a whole bunch of moogerfoogers! :D

MuRF, Freqbox, Phaser!

That ought to do the trick.

5. mike@nortoncable.com

6. jb70

jb70 Member

haha!!! i can imagine carrying that on a subway in nyc. thanks for all of the replies so far. i will check all of those out.

7. jb70

jb70 Member

8. mike@nortoncable.com

Yea I dont move it much, weighs 57 lbs... no case for it yet..

I take the little one out mostly, a CE3, DD3,V846, tuner and a TS808 :)
    the small footprint.

9. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Member

as of late I've been thinking about effects in two general categories: timbrel modifiers and sustained textures. fuzzes, distortions and filters in the former, delays, reverbs, and modulations in the later. some filters do need a little more time (or "sustain") to get the full effect, and modulations do have an immediate impact on timbre, so I don't hold hard and fast to the dichotomy, but it does help me think about how what kind of sounds I want to make, and the general technique that makes the most of these effects. Perhaps thinking along those lines will help you think about which kind of pedal you want.

For instance, in one improv group I'm involved with, we tend to hang out in long, unfolding textures. In another group, the type of interactions leads itself to quick changes with little time to develop a loop. Two extreme examples for sure, but that's why I try to have a balance of both "categories".

Perhaps that may help.

in terms of specifics, I'm still working on integrating laptop-based VST hosted effects along with a variety of pedals. Think of it as a super-flexible multi-effect

hope it ends up being a great experience!
    joe

10. jb70

jb70 Member

hey joe,
    right on. thanks for your reply. well, i think between the trifecta, crunch box, and the burn unit eq i have my distortion/fuzz/od covered and i also have the delay/reverb side of things covered with the re-20 and the dl-4 (plus i get a nifty 14 second looper with the dl-4). i have the maxon phaser too which i really love.

i'm at the point where i need to conserve space on the board and i thought that the digitech ex-7 might be a good move because you have a wah (thus eliminating the need for a separate wah), flange, univibe, and some kind of space synth effect all in one pedal (it's the size of a wah pedal).

the duo group has structured songs and most of the changes would be fairly quick where the jungle/drum and bass band will be much more improvisational and we'll have more time to stretch and develop the "tunes".

those moog pedals are really great but there's no way i'll even have space for 1 of them.

p.s. the laptop idea is wonderful. i think everything is headed that way anyway and within the next few years a lot of us will be taking them to our gigs.

11. jb70

jb70 Member

i just checked out clips of the subdecay noisebox and it sounds pretty hip. any of you guys have one or heard one in person?

i also checked out the 4ms pedals and while they are cool, they seem like they might be too big physically for my board.

other suggestions are welcome.

12. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

Bump for adding more to an interesting thread.

13. seiko

seiko Member

Hmmm

I would start with a crazy fuzz, a phaser, trem and delay/looper. Probably a fuzz factory, a HBE phaser, a stereo memory man with hazari and a gig FX chopper. If you wanna go smaller/cheaper then I suggest:

Danelectro mini octave fuzz
    Nobels phaser (very wierd and unsung)
    Boss DD7
    Dano Cool Cat Trem
    DOD green sparkle filter (not the one with the blend knob)

To me many of the interesting sounds in this stuff come from messig with pedal order. For instance, run the filter after delay and trem, that kind of thing.

14. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

Wah and a Whammy