Putting Eric Johnson body on USA standard strat - some quick advice please!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Guitarchip, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Guitarchip

Guitarchip Member

Hello! I have a 2008 USA stratocaster with a maple neck, I've got bare knuckle pat pend 63 pickups in it and it sounds great! Unfortunately, the body had a big smack recently - the paints all cracked and dinged and it just looks bad!

Would an Eric Johnson body off eBay be direct replacement? Will all the hardware off my guitar fit ok? Term, etc. I'm guessing it will, but I have no knowledge of building strat so just checking none of measurements are different for the EJ strat. I'll get a local, trusted luthier to rebuild/set up the guitar.

Many thanks, and hello! First post.

2. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

3. MusicStoreLive

MusicStoreLive Member

So basically, you just want to put an American Standard neck on an EJ body?

You should be able to do that. Not sure if the bridge will be a perfect fit since the EJ uses some vintage-style parts and the Am std does not.

Make sure the pickguard holes are the same. Standards have 11 holes. Not sure off the top of my head if the EJ does as well.

But tuners, pots, pickups etc will fit fine.

4. Jonny Hotnuts

Jonny Hotnuts Member

The spacing of the vintage 6 pin is slightly wider than the standard but should still work fine. It would be a shame to mount a 2 pin bridge on an EJ body its a serious mod; there are many 2 pin bodies out there OR a 6 pin bridge is cheap.

I would get the EJ body and 6 pin bridge.

~JH

5. Guitarchip

Guitarchip Member

Thanks guys! Really appreciate your advice - I won't go ahead and do it then if it won't be perfect, I don't really want to buy a new bridge as well.

I'm going to call into my local tech at the end of the week to see how much it would cost to refinish the body in nitro - i'll let you know what I decide to do!

Are there any fender guitar bodies with nitro finishes that will mount no problem to a USA standard neck and hardware?

Cheers - the info you guys gave me was just what I needed to know!

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The Am Std bridge is NOT a direct fit with an EJ body, or any body that uses a vintage style bridge. You're better off just buying a Fender replacement body off Fender.com or looking on ebay for another body.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

A two post body, yeah.

Otherwise a large percentage of your existing parts are just not going to be ready fits to the "vintage" style EJ body. Plus, your American neck envisions a narrower string array at the bridge so then you'd need IMO an American Special style bridge. You'll sacrifice your Tilt function. And on and on this goes.

8. geodr

geodr Member

Why not buy a USA Std Start body? Will be a lot cheaper than a EJ body and I doubt you'll hear the difference.

9. megawzrd

megawzrd Member

Pic of the damage?

Sell body as heavy relic. Buy new am strat body. Profit.

10. Guitarchip

Guitarchip Member

Hello guys,

Sorry I've not been on ... hah yes I'm going to sell the old body, the guitar looks so bad because the rest of it looks basically brand-new but then it's got a big crack/dint like an egg shell in it! Sorry - haven't taken photos, the guitar is school at the moment (I'm a teacher hah not a child).

Would this body fit as a replacement?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2014-...582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9930e246

it's expensive but it looks nice, It's apparently off a channel bound strat, which I believe is based off a US Standard, so it should fit? The neck it's meant for is bound with a compound radius but that shouldn't make a difference should it?

EDIT - Also, does it matter that my US standard strat is a 2008? and this is a 2014 so is one of the updated US standards, mine was the one that came without the custom shop fat 50s.

Thanks guys.

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

That should work just fine.

12. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

An eric johnson body (vintage routing, nitro in either sunburst or black) with a modern neck (9.5 radius, 22 frets, locking tuners) is basically my dream strat.

13. geekocaster

geekocaster Supporting Member

I understand op got a am std body. But i wanted to chine in. I had a few ej bodies joined to am std strat necks and while they fit and intonate the string spacing isnt quite right. The high E seemed to fall off in play.

14. Guitarchip

Guitarchip Member

Ah that's on good geekocaster, thanks for sharing the info! I never knew these differences in bodies existed.

Thanks for the help gkoelling! That's good to hear! I'l wait untill I go to bed to buy it just incase anyone chimes in with news that it won't fit properly! If anyone knows again that it'll definitely fit, please let me know to reassure me!

Thanks!