putting mini hum's in place of P90's

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by JPERRYROCKS, Jun 4, 2004.

1. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

I have a guitar that is set up w/ 2 traditional P90 pickups.

Can I put in Mini-hums w/ no modification to the size or depth of the pickup cavity? Will some brands work and others won't?

2. Mark C

Mark C Member

You just need the correct pickup rings that fit a P90 route and hold a mini-hum. You may be able to get them from Seymour Duncan.

3. hipfan

hipfan Member

J - I've tried to go this route before too, with a Godin LG. If I were to do it all over again, I'd start out with LP Deluxe-style mini-hums instead of Firebird-style. You'll need the Deluxe-style mounting rings to fill out the P-90 cut-out anyway, and the Deluxe-style pups will already have this installed. It's kind of a pain in the ass installing the rings properly on the Firebird-style pups. Gibson makes the Deluxe-style pups, and I know of no others who do. However, other makers like Duncan and Dimarzio might rig them up that way for you if you sweet-talk them.

Also, it would be a good idea for you to get some of the LP Deluxe style mounting plates that go in the bottom of the pickup cavities. Otherwise, you'll have to put your mounting screws straight into the wood. I couldn't find any when I was doing my project, but I saw some for sale the other day linked from a thread on the Les Paul Forum, I think.

I like mini-hums. Good luck with your project!

4. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

Tom Anderson minibuckers come with (if you ask for them when you order) specially designed "rings" that actually drop right into a P90 route. I've been through a bit of an odyssey, but I finally got my pickups and rings and plan to install them in a guitar formerly housing soapbars. Anderson's rings require you to drill two tiny holes in the bottom of the pickup cavity (different location than the P90 holes), but other than that the guitar remains in stock condition.

- DB

5. hipfan

hipfan Member

Malabar - You might have already considered this, but these mounting plates for the cavities might facilitate your installation. I wish I had had them when I did my Godin experiments.