• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Putting Together a Strat Set?

jbear

Hey All,
I have quite a few Strats with various PUP sets including:
-Stephens Design 59's
-D Allen V69's
-Suhr ML
-D Allen Dovers
-Texas Specials
-Fralin Blues Specials
Here's my question...I usually use complete sets, but I want to try a mix match thing. I have a Suhr V60LP bridge. I can get the rest of the set, but I'm curious as to what other PUP's would play well with this one.
What do you think folks?
Thanks for the ideas...in advance!

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
I was just playing both my Suhr classics and think I may like the ML Classic neck p/u a slight bit more. Its a little more clear and different enough to warrant both types.

jbear

I have ML Stds. in one and they kill!
I was thinking I'd mix and match this V60LP bridge with something else I haven't tried...hence the call for suggestions.
I was thinking I'd just troll for a neck and middle that are going for good prices and see what happens. Just want to try to avoid a total mismatch,

macatt

Can't comment on a match for the Suhr but in general:

I've always mixed them up; find the right pickup for each position.
Different guitars, even if they are all Strats for instance, will favor different combinations.

I've mostly favored Van Zandt Blues in the middle positions but for the bridge I've used S. Duncan Twang Banger, Texas Specials, Rio Grand Stelly and others (usually slightly overwound) depending on the individual guitar.

Neck position not as critical. I keep the resistance low/vintage wrap and might use Van Zandt, Duncan or any stock lower wind Fender.

It's a matter of finding the right voice in each spot for each guitar.
I've never been happy with all three when I've installed a "set". For instance; I installed Fralins in my "71 Strat but only kept one of them in the neck spot. I tried Texas Specials in another Strat and only kept the bridge spot. Texas Special in another Strat bridge position was too compressed sounding.
So, you get the idea.

It's time consuming but not too bad. If you gig a lot you find out what works and what doesn't quick enough.
Discarded pickups can often be used in other guitars; like maybe one of the Strat pickups in a Tele neck slot or (Nashville) middle slot.
And you can sell them or give them to friends.

S Mac

Last edited:

mixn4him

Silver Supporting Member
I have ML Stds. in one and they kill!
I was thinking I'd mix and match this V60LP bridge with something else I haven't tried...hence the call for suggestions.
I was thinking I'd just troll for a neck and middle that are going for good prices and see what happens. Just want to try to avoid a total mismatch,
I know I read that John Suhr said Landau is using ML's neck and middle and V60LP in the bridge..so thats all the recommendation I need..

Trending Topics

Top Bottom