Putting together a tele

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by afterosmosis, Feb 26, 2009.

1. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I've been wanting to add a telecaster to my collection for a while now, and recently decided to do a parts "build" like I did with my strat since I love that guitar.

So far I've picked up an American Standard body in "blizzard pearl", and a Glendale Am. Std. "Blackguard" bridge w/ brass saddles. I've also ordered most of the hardware and electronics, with the exception of the tuners and pickups.

I'm going to go with a neck similar to my strat, a USACG maple/maple neck with 9.5" radius, 1 11/16" nut width, and their "The '54" back contour. It's a soft V that softens to a C around the 12th fret, and tapers from .850" thick to .900" around the same point. I went birdseye with the strat neck though, and I'll probably just go plain maple this time. I'm not sure what tuners to use yet, though. I want something locking but with a somewhat vintage look. As for pickups, I'm leaning heavily towards the DiMarzio Area Ts.

Anyways, on to the good stuff, here's what I've got so far. I've got a white guard on it here, but I really think I'll wind up going with a black one instead.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I've got all of the non-pickup-related wiring done and mounted more hardware. The only parts I don't have now are the tuners, neck, and pickups. You might notice I decided to go with an LP-style jack plate instead of the typical tele cup. I *really* dislike the cup and decided I just didn't want it on this guitar, and personally think the plate looks nice.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

That's going to be real nice!

I use Gotoh vintage style tuners and have zero complaints after 6 builds and two more in process.

I don't use the vintage locking from Gotoh but have only read positive reviews here.

Good luck with the build.

4. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Nice...I like the white guard, very classy.

5. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I'm really leaning towards the Gotoh vintage locking units. I like the classic looks, but I'm forever ruined to non-locking tuners by the Sperzels on my strat. They just make string changes a breeze.

6. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I agree, I actually like it more than I expected. The black Warmoth guard I ordered will be in Tuesday, so I can do a real comparison then. I was going to sell whichever I didn't prefer, but I think I'll wind up keeping it in case I have a change of heart down the road :rotflmao

7. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Very cool! My kinda thread :D

8. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Quick update, things are coming right along. The black Warmoth guard came in and I must say I like it better than the white. The pickups came in today and I got them installed, I'm really liking the way they sound. I'm using the neck from my strat for now, I ordered the tele neck last week from USACG. They told me they are turning orders out in about two weeks or less right now, so I should have it soon.

I decided to go with a one-piece rosewood neck with MOP inlays, and judging by how it sounds with the maple neck right now I fully expect to be very pleased with the final product. I'll be picking the tuners up at the post office tomorrow, I went with the Gotoh Vintage Locking tuners.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. TanquerayCowboy

TanquerayCowboy Senior Member

My Tele sports that same bridge. Very nice stuff that Glendale makes.

10. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

Agreed. I had originally planned on using a Callaham bridge but someone recommended I look at Glendale, and it wasn't long before I changed my mind. Mainly because I prefer the thinner plate. I love the saddles, too.

11. TanquerayCowboy

TanquerayCowboy Senior Member

I've had my guitar for about nine years and went from the stock plate with the block saddles to the Callaham to the Glendale. The Callaham is heavy and really allowed for some thick tones coupled with my particular pickups. Crazy sustain. I miss it at times, but not enough to give up what I have now. Still using the Callaham brass saddles.

Enjoy.