PWC guys (jetski/seadoo/Waverunner)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Moby Dick, May 9, 2019.

1. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

In preparation for a family vacation in June on an inland lake in Northern Michigan, my son and I purchased a used 15 year old seadoo rxp personal watercraft(jetski).
    I grew up on a lake and around boats so I am comfortable with the operation and basic water safety.

My question is:
    Is a 215hp seadoo capable of pulling a tube or water skier without too much effort?

I want to be able to take the kids tubing and maybe teach them to ski, but if I should just go rent a boat for the day, I will do that rather than fight with the seadoo if it’s not efficient at pulling tubes or skiers.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Echophilia

Echophilia Supporting Member

You need a boat for those water activities

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  3. outlawten5

outlawten5 Member

No you don't. That 215 signifies 215 hp. Supercharged 4 stroke. Plenty of power to pull 2 tubes. Make sure you have a spotter on the ski. Michigan law. As far as a skier I think you would need a boat. Ski doesn't weigh enough. Knee boards are just as fun behind a ski. Enjoy, be safe and have a great summer

Fred132, Moby Dick and Da Geezer like this.
  4. Mesaleebob

Mesaleebob Member

In some states the pwc must have enough room on-board for the operator, spotter and the person being pulled. So to pull one person, you might need a spotter and a three seat ski.

Moby Dick likes this.
  5. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

Michigan’s laws make no mention of having cacpacity on the pwc for more than the spotter so I should be good with the two seater.

Now to find something for the kids to ride behind the seadoo.

6. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I had a 3 seat waverunner 1100cc for a number of years, i pulled a ton of tubes and could pull a smallish person up on water ski's, maybe 130 pounds or less. Some of my favorite vacations were on that thing.

Moby Dick likes this.