• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PWE Event Horizon speakers

strings4v

Is there anyone who has run their PWE EH amps through WGS Retro30 or Veteran 30?
Ted told me that the amp is designed around a Celestion Vintage 30 but I was wondering if I could swing it with V30 derivatives.. I have an opportunity to get a WGS speaker for fairly cheap.
Or... anyone has run it with a Scumback M75?

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I have various cabs I run my PWE through:

2X12: V30/Creamback H 8 Ohm
2X12: Scumback M/H PVC 4 Ohm
2X12: Celestion V30/G-12H 30 Anni 8 Ohm
1X12: Scumback J 8 Ohm

Plus I've tried a few other Combonations of speakers.

I generally like the V30/Creamback H for more modern preamp med- high gain tones as well as for straight clean.

I like the Scumbacks if I'm going for a more traditional lower gain/power tube saturation tone. They seem to repsond better. They're fine withbstraigh cleans as well but I prefer the Celestions a bit more.

strings4v

I have various cabs I run my PWE through:

2X12: V30/Creamback H 8 Ohm
2X12: Scumback M/H PVC 4 Ohm
2X12: Celestion V30/G-12H 30 Anni 8 Ohm
1X12: Scumback J 8 Ohm

Plus I've tried a few other Combonations of speakers.

I generally like the V30/Creamback H for more modern preamp med- high gain tones as well as for straight clean.

I like the Scumbacks if I'm going for a more traditional lower gain/power tube saturation tone. They seem to repsond better. They're fine withbstraigh cleans as well but I prefer the Celestions a bit more.
What do you think about V30+G12H30? That's the very combination Ted recommended me for a 2x12

Marc Roy

What do you think about V30+G12H30? That's the very combination Ted recommended me for a 2x12
I had a cab loaded with that exact combination when I got my amp. It works really well with the EH. Only reason I got rid of it was due to the weight of the cab - a Dr. Z ZBest. The thing weighs a ton and is a pain in the ass to move around.

I'm using mine through an EV-12L right now but will likely switch a Scumback M when I get my new 1x12 cab. I go for more of a lower gain tone so it should be a good choice (as recommended by a friend of mine).

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I had a cab loaded with that exact combination when I got my amp. It works really well with the EH. Only reason I got rid of it was due to the weight of the cab - a Dr. Z ZBest. The thing weighs a ton and is a pain in the ass to move around.

I'm using mine through an EV-12L right now but will likely switch a Scumback M when I get my new 1x12 cab. I go for more of a lower gain tone so it should be a good choice (as recommended by a friend of mine).
I agree about the V30/G12H. Honestly the only reason I quit using it was I was concerned about power handling since it was only 60 watts (even though my PWE is 50 watts).

Fran6

I recently had Ted make a custom 2x12 cab for me to go along with my PWE EH2. I have a V30 paired with a G12H-75 Creamback as recommended by Ted. I agree with critter74 - it's my favourite combination for both gain and clean. I had Ted build the cab with a removable back plate and I prefer the cab open back. Sounds fuller and louder. I also have a closed back 4x12 Mesa cab with V30's. The 2x12 mixed speakers sound better to my ears.

strings4v

I recently had Ted make a custom 2x12 cab for me to go along with my PWE EH2. I have a V30 paired with a G12H-75 Creamback as recommended by Ted. I agree with critter74 - it's my favourite combination for both gain and clean. I had Ted build the cab with a removable back plate and I prefer the cab open back. Sounds fuller and louder. I also have a closed back 4x12 Mesa cab with V30's. The 2x12 mixed speakers sound better to my ears.
Hm.. I might give WGS ET65 a try then. (creamback style) I once loaded my Budda Combo with a WGS Invader 50 and ran EH through it and it sounded really good. Even though it's a greenback style speaker and Ted doesn't recommend running the amp through a Greenback.

Marc Roy

Hm.. I might give WGS ET65 a try then. (creamback style) I once loaded my Budda Combo with a WGS Invader 50 and ran EH through it and it sounded really good. Even though it's a greenback style speaker and Ted doesn't recommend running the amp through a Greenback.
Can't hurt to try. You might be pleasantly surprised.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
I also at one point had WGS HP Reapers. They were OK, not bad at all. But I preferred the Creambacks H's a bit more. They had a bit of a softer compression to them when turned up and a slight bit more "sag". The HP Reapers were a little more immediate and less compressed. That's the best way I can describe it.

Honestly it was probably more of a feel issue than a tonal issue.

sugarlou

Silver Supporting Member
I'm using a 2×12 avatar with a hellatone 30 and a 60.

Couldn't imagine it sounding any better!

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, I have the PWE 2 channel Event Horizon with all the bells and whistles. LOVE IT!

I tried a lot of WGS speakers including those you mention.

The WGS in the end never had the character I want from a great speaker and when I play the PWE it roars and punches best with my Celestions.

I spent years going through a crap load of speakers and ended with my favorites.

Greenback RI and Lynchbacks and I have this in a 4×12.
Creamback M65 and Lynchback in a Stone Age 212 with removable 1/3 back.
Vintage 30 and Creamback G12H75.
I tried the H75 before and am going back to it with the V30.

All great sounding!

M@tt C

Silver Supporting Member
Necro thread.....but I now have a 100 watt EH 2 on the way and am figuring out what to do regarding speakers. My Splawn straight 4x12 is loaded with Scumback M75 PVCs on top and G12Ms on the bottom, and my EVH 2x12 has a pair of G12Ms (yes, I like greenbacks!). I have a pair of V30s plus a G12H Anniversary sitting in boxes. V30's in the 2x12 and leave the 4x12 as-is? Greenbacks plus V30's in the Splawn, and another pair of V30s for the EVH? Creambacks??

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
Necro thread.....but I now have a 100 watt EH 2 on the way and am figuring out what to do regarding speakers. My Splawn straight 4x12 is loaded with Scumback M75 PVCs on top and G12Ms on the bottom, and my EVH 2x12 has a pair of G12Ms (yes, I like greenbacks!). I have a pair of V30s plus a G12H Anniversary sitting in boxes. V30's in the 2x12 and leave the 4x12 as-is? Greenbacks plus V30's in the Splawn, and another pair of V30s for the EVH? Creambacks??
I'm a huge Scumback fan, but I did not like the PWE with the M's. I think the BM's might work better for the PWE. But, the V30/G12H is going to sound best. The way the amps are voiced, they sound a little dark with most of the scummies... Honestly, it really does make sense to listen to the builder as to what will work bestvwith their amps. They are great amps! Enjoy...

M@tt C

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a huge Scumback fan, but I did not like the PWE with the M's. I think the BM's might work better for the PWE. But, the V30/G12H is going to sound best. The way the amps are voiced, they sound a little dark with most of the scummies... Honestly, it really does make sense to listen to the builder as to what will work bestvwith their amps. They are great amps! Enjoy...
Yeah, I spent the past several months getting everything dialed to work well with my now-sold Runt 50! I hate to give up on the Scumbacks (they are just FANTASTIC) but everything points to a brighter speaker being the better match. I might go with a G12M/ V30 combo to start as the G12M is notably brighter than the Scumbacks, then roll a G12H in there to see what happens. The BM is a great option as well- probably the closest to a V30, I would think.

Trending Topics