PYLE PHE-300/400 line isolation box

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by pfrischmann, Feb 9, 2020.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi guys,
    I'm having some ground loop issues with my new Rocktron Valve Sonic. Has anybody tried the Pyle Isolation boxes. The seem to be transformer based and pretty cheap. The question is how do they sound?

2. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

O.K. I guess I'll have to get one and report back.

Fresiki likes this.
  3. mrwolf

mrwolf Member

I've never heard of Pyle (other than the fact that it's the name of the village I live in ! ) but I just tried the Ebtech.
    Unfortunately although it cured the hum it affected my tone.
    I solved my hum by rearranging the components of the rack. It took a couple of tries and I identified the culprit to be my Palmer Speaker Simulator.

pfrischmann likes this.
  4. Fresiki

Fresiki Member

I am parroting here, but:

You want high quality transformers for high quality sound. Jensen, they say. High quality transformers are expensive. Apparently the difference between good and bad transformers is easily detectable with untrained ears.

This reminds me of those Behringer ones. It'll take away all the hum, and some of the tone.

5. XSSIVE

XSSIVE D'Avanzo Guitars Silver Supporting Member

Never tried a Pyle but I currently have a Rocktron Buzz Kill and it works well. I actually don't know how, if at all, it altered the sound since I wired up my rig, fired up all the amps and rack gear, heard hum, found the cause of the hum, shut it down, added the Buzz Kill to stop it and then dialed everything in. I purposely took the ignorance is bliss approach thinking it doesn't matter what it does to the sound as long as I can get a good sound with it there killing the hum, and I did.

6. mourguitars

mourguitars Member

I guess ill try the Buzz Kill.....might as well go all Rocktron $49 free shipping , my Patch Mate will be here tomorrow so might as well be better safe than sorry...i don't have any hum but wiring 3 pre amps in the unit i might...

Mike

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Yeah, the jensens are really expensive, like $70-$80 just for the transformer from digikey etc.. I think I found a schematic. I would be easy to build an iso-box. I'm not sure it's worth all of the effort though. That said, going high -end makes sense. Your tone is only as good as your weakest connection. ..

8. mourguitars

mourguitars Member

Got my new patch mate working with my pre amps..

JMP-1
    Plexi
    Black plate +
    Piranha
    Kartakou

Only the Kartakou has a ground hum but it has a odd power supply so I'm hoping the Buzz Kill will fix it....but everything else is dead silent in the rack

Mike

pfrischmann likes this.
  9. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hows the Blackplate+?

10. mourguitars

mourguitars Member

I really like it...i use it for cleans , edge of breakup with a klone....i have all my high gain covered with the other pre's

I build pedals and it takes the distortion pedals well....i use the afterburner on this unit unlike the Plexi

My Buzz Kills are out for delivery today so ill report back but...

I stated i had a hum in my Kartakou yesterday...i changed tubes and it went away...Put a newer Chinese square getter from NesTone in V1 and Ruby's AC5HG's in the other 2 spots...pretty brutal Pre that one is !

Mike

11. mourguitars

mourguitars Member

I rearranged the rack , hooked up the Buzz Kill and it killed my tone...added more hum , I'm shielding my effects from my rack rails.....going to be a long night trouble shooting !

Mike

12. mourguitars

mourguitars Member

Update....checked all cables with a tester , made sure i had plastic washers in-between rack gear and rails...took out the Buzz Kill , still noise

Looked at the boost pedal it had wall wart power supply powering it instead of my CS12 True Tone....

Hooked up my PedalPCB Muzzle with the thru jack Key mod and put it in the patchmate8 loop...bingo!

Cant tell if the rack is on or off its so quiet....

Whew , lack of sleep and googling i over looked a few basic things...it happens with 57 year old eyes !

No noise now !

Mike

13. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi guys,
    Quick report. I bought a few Ebtech hum eliminators off of EBAY. First I tried moving stuff around and using cables with a lifted shield on one end etc.. Didn't work. The culprit is the preamp loop in the G System. If I added the Ebtech to either the preamp loop send or return of the G system, the hum disappered. However, it messes with the tone. More if I put it in line with the input of the preamps, less if I put it on the output of the preamp.

I paid $25 for the Ebtech so I consider it a worthwhile investment. Moving forward, I plan to replace the G system with a more tradition rack switcher and outboard effects. If I still have problems I will buy/build a Jensen isolation transformer.

From my experiment, I can confirm one thing. Don't skimp on the isolation transformer.

14. mourguitars

mourguitars Member

Yea, the Buzz Kill created more hum and sucked tone...turns out i didn't need them luckily ....looks like you have to spend the xtra bucks on the better units

Mike