Pyramid Nickel Strings

smazz

Master Noodler
Gold Supporting Member
There is so much conflicting information about Pyramid strings online I thought I would go straight to the source and get a reliable answer to the question:

What is the difference between the Pyramid Maximum Performance (White Package/Green Stripe) and the Pyramid Nickel Classics (Orange Package)??

Max Junger replied to my email right away and confirmed that the plain strings for both are silver-plated steel. The wound strings differ in the core-- Maximum Performance have a HEX steel core and the Nickel Classics have a ROUND steel core. Both are pure nickel round wound and the core is made of steel. (Don't confuse round wound with round core..) I kind of thought that would be the answer but I wanted to know for sure.

He also mentioned there will be a new line of strings called Monel Classics which he described as somewhere between nickel plated steel and pure nickel.

I also think it would be great to have a database of pure nickel strings and their characteristics. For example, the Pyramids have a thinner core vs. the GHS Nickel Rockers so they feel slinkier. Round core strings are generally slinkier-- who else makes them? I think only the DR Pure Blues? I'm re-trying a bunch now -- Mangans, Pyramids, SOB, GHS. Has anybody done this yet? Would be a great resource-- maybe I will start one when I have the time.

smazz

Master Noodler
Gold Supporting Member
Ok but only if you take back what you said about Atlas Shrugged...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Porto

I used SOB strings for a long time. When things got a little hinky with that company, I switched to Pyramids, but at $11 a pack, keeping 5 guitars strung up when gigging became a bit expensive, so I switched to Ernie Ball Classic. I can get them for $3.75 a pack when bought by the dozen. Haven't had any reliability problems, they sound great, and they'll last pretty long so long as they get wiped down after gigs and rehearsals.

My Classics in 11-50 gauge just arrived yesterday. Was going to put them on my 335 but read some threads of people being underwhelmed with them on Gibsons, 335s in particular? Would I probably be better off using them on my Strat?

Roe

pyramids work well on gibbies, cf. the les paul forum. I'm using green nickel pyramids on my ES

jzgtrguy

So for the Pyramids are my favorites. I haven't tried the nickel classics only the maximum performance. I've got Kurt Magans on now and they are nice but I think I prefer the pyramids. Tried using the DR pure blues to save a nickel (pun intended) and it was a complete waste of money, hated them. The Pyramids last twice as long in my experience so it's the same value and they feel great and stay in tune.

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
...Round core strings are generally slinkier-- who else makes them? I think only the DR Pure Blues? I'm re-trying a bunch now -- Mangans, Pyramids, SOB, GHS. Has anybody done this yet? Would be a great resource-- maybe I will start one when I have the time.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but I think you're forgetting a company in your list: Thomastik-Infeld makes several sets of round core, nickel wrapped strings.

66Park

The Pyramids last twice as long in my experience so it's the same value and they feel great and stay in tune.
They sure don't for me. I've found the G string especially dents from the frets really quickly and goes bad. I've also had some pretty horrible intonation problems with the Pyramids, both the nickel round wounds and flat wounds. I've gone through a dozen or so sets of them, and will never buy them again. They do sound nice for a couple weeks on a Strat if you can get them in tune, but sorry, I don't get the hype. And forget about using the flat wounds on an archtop with a wood bridge. They will not intonate correctly. I've never had a set of strings that played so out of tune on my '62 L5. D'Addario Chromes intonate perfectly. I've never had more problems with any brand of string than I have with Pyramids.

jzgtrguy

They sure don't for me. I've found the G string especially dents from the frets really quickly and goes bad. I've also had some pretty horrible intonation problems with the Pyramids, both the nickel round wounds and flat wounds. I've gone through a dozen or so sets of them, and will never buy them again. They do sound nice for a couple weeks on a Strat if you can get them in tune, but sorry, I don't get the hype. And forget about using the flat wounds on an archtop with a wood bridge. They will not intonate correctly. I've never had a set of strings that played so out of tune on my '62 L5. D'Addario Chromes intonate perfectly. I've never had more problems with any brand of string than I have with Pyramids.
A completely different experience than mine. Different strokes for different folks.

On my Arch Top I used to use the Chromes, liked them. I really, really liked the Thomastik GB's and Bebop series. Very expensive but I really loved the Bebops.

I've also used the La Bella Black Tape Wound. Very large gauge, especially in the base strings but great strings none the less.

I've never tried the pyramid flat wounds.

Good luck :aok

smazz

Master Noodler
Gold Supporting Member
No intonation problems for me with the Pyramids. Don't forget you need to make a right angle bend in the wound strings before you cut them since the core is round- not hex.
Love the Thomastic Blues Sliders too-- not sure if they are round core though. I would need to check my notes....

66Park

No intonation problems for me with the Pyramids. Don't forget you need to make a right angle bend in the wound strings before you cut them since the core is round- not hex.

That wasn't the issue. Multiple sets required drastically different intonation settings than any other strings I've used, with the D string saddle having to be pulled all the way back on a Strat to even get it close, and it was an absolute no go with a non adjustable arch top bridge. Also, in my other post I meant to say the D string dents really quickly, not the G, which is probably pretty common for pure nickel, as it's a softer metal. The D strings with Pyramid sets gave me fits. I broke a few strings pretty quickly as well. I can have a set of D'Addarios on a guitar for months gigging. I had really bad luck with breakage with the Pyramids, including one of the D strings breaking on the first gig. I tried them on a Strat, Tele, Les Paul, 335, and L5. The only guitar I ever put them on that they did well was a '67 Rickenbacker 360-12. I had no problems with that set, and they sounded great.

I also think it would be great to have a database of pure nickel strings and their characteristics. For example, the Pyramids have a thinner core vs. the GHS Nickel Rockers so they feel slinkier. Round core strings are generally slinkier-- who else makes them? I think only the DR Pure Blues? I'm re-trying a bunch now -- Mangans, Pyramids, SOB, GHS. Has anybody done this yet? Would be a great resource-- maybe I will start one when I have the time.
I did a somewhat extensive comparison/review of a several brands here a few years back; I suppose a search could dig it up. One thing I did find is that characteristics may differ within the same brand or even a given winders line depending upon the gauge of the sets. The 11s set core wire may differ from their 10s set for e.g., which could have a profound effect on tension etc., making it that much harder to overlay a set of attributes on particular winders line. Just something else to consider - it's a rabbit hole for sure.

mrpinter

Silver Supporting Member
Love the Thomastic Blues Sliders too-- not sure if they are round core though. I would need to check my notes....

The T-I Sliders are round core strings (and pure nickel wrap with a silk inlay to smooth out the overtones)

firebird1295

Pyramid (orange) strings last 4-6 months on my 335; I feel they're a great value.
I've used D'Addarios, Ernie Ball Rock 'n Roll Slinkies (10-46), Gibson Brite Wires, Curt Mangan, and DR Tite Fit but of all those, the Pyramids sounded best, and lasted the longest for me.

I know everyone will have differing opinions as our hands/use humidity and acidity will vary.

smazz

Master Noodler
Gold Supporting Member
I couldn't find anything that said the blues sliders had a round core. Their materials say round wound pure nickel. Don't remember if I ever found that or not.

Blues Lyne

I use Pyramid Classics (orange package) on my traditional Tele and Strat style guitars. Haven't had any problems with intonation and they last a long time. I haven't tried them on my Mahogany HH Tele yet.

Trending Topics