Pyramid vs SnakeOil strings?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by FastGoKart, Jan 25, 2006.

1. FastGoKart

FastGoKart Member

I have been using Pyramid strings for the last year or so and really love them. I will likely run out of the last batch I purchased in a few months and wanted to ask if anyone could comment on the 2 products and compare them at all. I am sure that they are both incredible strings, but some comparing/contrasting from those of you with experience with both would be killer!

Tom

2. asdf

asdf Member

I used to use Pyramid strings...then I got a set of SnakeOils and I've never used a set of Pyramids again. Though I like Pyramids quite a bit, Snake Oils are the best strings I've found. They last VERY long, feel smoother than any other strings to play, and sound fantastic. All IMHO.

3. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Over the last 30+ years I've tried just about every string available. Unfortunately for your question one of the few I have not tried are the Pyramid. That said, the Snake Oil Original Nickel strings are hands down the best I've ever played. What I like the most about them is the boldness of the tone, very girthy, nice overtones, punchy bottom end, very nice high end without being strident, and a very glorious midrange. The quality of the midrange is what hooked me on these strings. Damn, I swore I wouldn't go talking like a wine taster, but there it is.

4. fatback

fatback Member

They are both very good strings, but the Snake Oils are much more consistant pack to pack. No dead string surprises!

5. FastGoKart

FastGoKart Member

I particularly enjoyed your use of the word 'strident'. :)

Thanks for the reponse!

6. FastGoKart

FastGoKart Member

Ok....well I guess that I will give em a shot!

Do you guys recommend the Original or Rock formulas? Where can I get the best deal on a dozen or so? Can I only order direct?

Can anyone comment on "sinister strings" from Cerly music? Someone told me that they were really great too?

7. ceceres4

ceceres4 Member

Besides the Pyramids and the Snake Oil strings ,that I've tried ,I've found Thomastik-Infeld makes a nice string too.They last a real long time have a great tone and the price is pretty good.I like their nickel flatwounds,but I've used the Power Brite rounds as well as the other two mentioned above. I'd say you'll have value with any one of these manufacturers,

8. MattT

MattT Member

I'd also like to know the difference between the regular ond rock formula ones...

9. asdf

asdf Member

Hmm. As far as ordering I'd suggest just giving Dean an emaill. I dunno the the differences in forumulas though, I've only used the Nickle ones.

10. GzsMuzik

GzsMuzik Member

Snakes Rock. I use them on all my guitars, electric and acoustic. When Dean gets the bass strings going, I'll probably try those, too.

The Rock forumla strings are brighter sounding. Not sure what the difference is in the alloy...... I use the original nickels on my Strat and the rock formula on my Tele Thinline (it has buckers on it and can use the extra brightness).

11. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

I have a set of prototype Snake Oil bass strings that have been on my bass for months. Until Dean gets them into production, I'll keep these on there. They are the best bass strings I have ever used......a bit like Rotosounds after they are broken in, but with better volume balance from string to string, and a warmer tone. Plus, they last me at least 6 times longer!

12. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I've played Pyramids, but not Snake Oil. Although lately, I've had no reason to...I've been playing on some Thomastik-Infeld Sliders....silkwound strings. No reason to play anything else. Their Acoustic strings are amazing too.

13. Leftee

Leftee Guest

Drop Dean an email at the address above.

14. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

My vote is for Snake Oils. I like 'em both actually, but the Snakes are VERY NICE. I find the Snakes to be much more consistent (I've found a few dead strings in Pyramid sets from time to time), and Snake Oils have better customer service, plus I like supporting a small American business

Both really are nice strings that are a cut above the regular production strings out there, but I like Snakes just a little better. I love the easy bendability plus Vintage tone of the Snake Oils, I find them ever so slightly more responsive to the touch than Pyramids

15. granite

granite Member

I use the Rock 10s SOS on my Melancon Classic Artist Strat. I play Indie rock and think they are perfect for my style of music. They are a tad bit bright for the first 7-10 days after I put them on, but they mellow beautifully. Get 4-5 months per set with moderate to heavy use. Could probably go longer if need be. Never broke a string yet. My fingers thank me.

16. alberob

alberob Member

SOS strings last and sound excellent.All my guitars have them.18 IN TOTAL

17. PinkStrat

PinkStrat Member

We make bass sets now BTW...they are special order but I make them you bet...I also play bass too so there you have it!:)

18. filmosound

filmosound Member

So the Snake Oil Original Nickel strings are definitely recommended over DR Pure Blues? For me,the DR Pure Blues were less expensive and easier to find in stores than Pyramid Pure Nickel strings. This is my first time hearing of Snake Oil strings.

19. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member

Do the Nickel sets seem to work well for rock and hard rock? I like thick and girthy as well! I hate strident, too bright tones.

I have ben bounsing around between D'Addario, GHS, Ernie Ball and Snake Oils but only the Rockers, not the Nickels. I may pick up some DR nickels to compare.

20. papersoul

papersoul Supporting Member