"Q" 4 Top Hatters....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by urizen, Feb 3, 2008.

1. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

I not infrequently surprise myself w/ my own ignorance, as has happened again just last night w/ one of my amps---I have a '99 VibraTrem 20 (since new, GZ34 and a 1x12 Greenback) that I THOUGHT I knew , until, for the FIRST time last night, I tried playing through input 2 instead of 1 (I just never played through the 2 before, since I "knew" it was "only" for playing at a slightly lower volume:jo ). Short story long, playing a Lollar CC and Tele Special combo w/ 4-way switching, I was struck by what I perceive to be a definite tonal difference---"sweeter", for lack of a better word, through the #2, and the "extra mo' " p'up setting was more defined AND harmonically rich than I had thought previously through the # 1.

Is it just my 'magination/novelty affect, or is there actually some difference in voicing 'twixt the #1 and #2 inputs on that Top Hat model?

2. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

auto-bump (game's over, this had slid to the bottom of the bowl, thought I'd let it up for air so it could wave its arms around to see if anyone'd give input on the Q).

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I thought it was just a lower gain input.

4. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

The Vibratrem breaks up pretty early, so running into input 2, (which is a lower gain input) does sweeten up the tone a bit.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member