Q About Shipping A Raw Speaker From The Us To Australia?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by redeyedjim, May 18, 2015.

1. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

I'm selling a few unused 12" speakers and someone from Australia is interested in one that is otherwise hard to come by in that country - nothing rare or vintage, just a brand/model that isn't widely distributed there.

Can any one offer a little advice on the best shipping carrier, approximate cost, liklihood of the speaker arriving undamaged (assuming it is packed well and double-boxed), etc? I am on the west coast of the US. I've shipped and received a number of speakers domestically, but I have never shipped anything as large as a speaker internationally.

Thanks in advance!

2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Use USPS, it should be about $30 and will there in about a week. UPS and FedEx will ream you on the shipping charges. The downside is you will have to take it to the post office in person and fill out a customs form, but that isn't be a big deal.

3. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

Thanks, Pete - that's exactly the info I was hoping for.

4. lennokez

lennokez Member

USPS has shipped speakers to me here in Australia a few times. Never had a problem.
    A lot of gear has been shipped from US, and much of it USPS. Always gets here unharmed.
    It can be 2-3 weeks at worst and within a week at best.
    I think it depends on where it is shipped from and which USPS service is used.
    Their priorty mail international service is cheapest. Its great, though goods can do a bit of road time
    before it gets to final sorting facility on west coast. Has never worried me, as long as it get's here. It always does.
    The express service is usually about week.
    If you are on the west coast, goods should be delivered within a week. IME

5. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

I think I usually use USPS priority to Australia. I've never had a real problem, and it usually takes about a week or so. I did have one pedal that disappeared for a week, but it eventually made it. Comes to think of it, I don't think I've ever had one lost package with USPS. I did have one that disappeared for about a month, but even that one eventually showed up, and the vast majority are right on time.