Q: Amps w/ two inputs (Matchless, Badcat, etc)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yellowecho, May 22, 2008.

1. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

Have any of you guys played around with the idea of using both inputs with an A/B switch?
    I've thought about what tonal possibilities would be available with an A/B switch, an EQ pedal or two, and some toying with the master volume. Anyone with experience doing this?

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually, Matchless produced an AB switch for the original DC30s specifically to do this. And with the separate effects loops you can even have different delay/reverb/effects setting on the two channels. Or run a midi router and mix and blend to your heart's content...

3. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I had a Blues Pearl Texas Tornado, a great Deluxe Reverb clone that had a high and low input. With just an A/B/Y switch, it became a bit of a 3 channel amp.

Some amps, like a Soldano Hot Rod 50+, have one channel disabled if you go into the other. You can't use an A/B switch.

4. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Bad Cat have a foot-switch that can do this. I've done it, but I'm not that enthused by the result. I get more excited about runnnig the Bad Cat OD channel with the Lonestar OD channel at the same time, using the A/B switch, great EL34 and 6L6 tones roaring together makes wonderful noise.
    Sounds like 2 guys playing in unison.

5. e-z

e-z Member

I ran my DC-30 with their a/b/y. Ch1 (12ax7) was clean and Ch2 (ef86) was dirt. I never liked having two separate effects loops but then I only used a few pedals with it.

6. mj07

mj07 Supporting Member

My switchhazel works great with my new hot cat.VERY full tone,

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

My Hot Cat 100R came with the factory ABY switch allowing me to
    play through either channel or blend them.

8. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

I have a Hot Cat 15, and the Bad Cat A/B switch, and
    IMHO, combining the 2 channels just adds more gain to
    the second(dain, drive....) channel.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

use an A/B/Y, that way you can switch or blend channels. put different pedals going to each channel.....loads of fun!

10. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Another vote for the Switchazel-Great, very versatile pedal-Great clean boost, and takes your tuner out of the signal chain-

11. photios

photios Member

Yeah its great...I do that with my Wizard Vintage Classic head and a Lehle pedal...gives me 3 tonal options/channels...expands the tonal pallet of the amp. I use a simple 4 button midi foot controller: 1) channle 1; 2 channel 2; 3) channel 1+2; 4) muted tuner out

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

With the Clubman it doesn't work. Most inputs are wired in such a way where if your plugged into one the other is bypassed.

13. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Bad Cats use a proprietary connection with their ABY switch.

The guitar stays plugged into the Clean channel and the switch is how you
    control which channel you're using.

14. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

really? how certain are you? my Bad Cat switch is nothing more that a relabeled Whirlwind AB/Y Box

15. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

i'd like to bump this because i'm still interested!

how do you guys use the lower input? i use it sparingly and just as a different clean sound with more headroom, but i feel like it should open more possibilities.

16. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

It seems to me that I have jumpered both channels of my DC30 without a problem, therefore an A/B/Y should also work although I never tried one. Cant see why you would need a proprietary device however.

17. mmunguia

mmunguia Supporting Member

Yep, I owned a few badcats, the hotcat 100 in particular has a (5 or 6 pin) connector and works as an A/B/Y witch, however, you can also use an A/B/Y switch infront of the amp if you want!

18. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

Yes, I've got a 2012 Black Cat 30 and it has the proprietary footswitch and does channel switching or blending (aby). I also have a Radial Tonebone ABY switch so if you wanted to run one side clean and the other through pedals then you could come up with some other sounds by plugging into both inputs on the amp front panel instead of using the Bad Cat footswitch.

19. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I'm not sure that anyone has responded to the OP's question, as it sounds like he/she is asking about using an A/B/Y into the high and low inputs of a single channel. Please correct me if I'm wrong, OP. I've done this with my Radial JX-2 Switchbone and my Bad Cat Cub. It could be useful for lower vs. higher input gain, switching between SC and HB equipped guitars, etc. However, I get a nice gain/vol boost when both inputs are engaged (Y). I assume that's safe, as we used to run two guitars into one amp in the old days when we were young and poor.

Any comments on this arrangement?

20. The Kid

The Kid Member

I use a Switchazel on my Divided By 13 FTR 37.

It's an A/B/Y with a tuner out and a boost. So many great tonal possibilities blending the two channels.