q: envelope filters and clones

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by msp, Jan 20, 2006.

1. msp

msp Member

i am awaiting the new subdecay envelope filter

but i was woundering if anyone knew of some good mutron III clones (not the mutron III +)

i have only heard of 2 neither are in production:

Prophecysound Systems rubber fetish
    and some pedal by an unknown maker called the funky fish....

i would be interested in a modern recreation of the mutron III with some added features...i'm sure others would be as well

2. Wooley

Wooley Member

Well, the most obvious one is the EH Q-tron, and before you think anything about EH, you should know that Mike Beigel, the inventor of the Mutron III designed the Q-tron as a sort of reissue/update of his Mutron III for Electro-harmnix. And he claims his Q-tron is better than his original. I have one, but it just does too much for me. I want one really good ef sound that I can switch on and off, so I have the original Mutron Micro V. But don't get me wrong the Qtron sounds great, makes an assload of different sounds, and in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing can really be something else. The only drawback is, as with all EH pedals, size. It is a monster.

3. Wooley

Wooley Member

Here, check this out from Mike Beigel's website, Beigel Music Labs:

If you want the original sound and circuitry of the Mu-Tron III, please buy either a used vintage original Mu-Tron III (not +) or better yet, my new products:

The Q-Tron or Q-Tron+ by Electro-Harmonix

You will get a better product and support the original inventor.
    Electro Harmonix features the latest productions of the Mu-Tron legacy, the Q-Tron.

Looking for the modern equivalent to the Mu-Tron?
    A brief Mu-Tron history lesson..

Mu-Tron III

The Mu-Tron III by Musitronics Corp. first came out in 1972. Since 1996 the Q-Tron developed by Electro Harmonix has been the successor to the legacy which is the Mu-Tron. In early 1995 Mike Beigel was commissioned by Mike Mathews (owner of EHX) to reinvent the sound of Mu-Tron, today EHX still sells that sound as the Q-Tron.

1996 EHX Q-Tron
    1998 EHX Q-Tron+
    2000 EHX Mini Q-Tron

Since then EHX has released several other units with roots tied to Mu-Tron. In 1998 the Q-Tron+ was released with technologies similar to the BSL below. In 2000 a Mini Q-Tron was developed similar to that of the original Mu-Tron.

4. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

+1 on the q-trons. i have an original mutron and the q-trons are the closest sounding thing i've tried. i actually keep the q-tron on my board because it is a bit more predictable and less tempermental than the mutron.

however, i have to add that the mxr envelope filter is also excellent. fewer controls, but you can still get lots of great sounds.

5. playon

playon Supporting Member

I used to have the Lovetone Meatball but was able to sell it at a profit when I found this: http://www.chunksystems.com/a00f.htm
    Works great for guitar, I found one used for less than $200 and sold the Lovetone. The Chunk Systems pedal sounded every bit as good as the Meatball and is easier to dial in.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Hey thanks! That thing looks great! I've been meaning to get myself a real good one (been using the tiny Guyatone WahRocker for years) and I've had reliability problems w/the EH Q-Trons.

Any clips of that Chunk 00Funk in action?

7. playon

playon Supporting Member

They have some clips here:

http://www.chunksystems.com/a00f2.htm#synth

I guess they don't offer the model I have any more, now they have the "Mark II" which is smaller and more simplified. I'd bet it sounds just as good though. I used to have the Guyatone and they are very crude sounding in comparison.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Emma Discumbobulator... this is a great Mutron-sounding pedal, though the controls aren't exactly the same as a clone would be. It's on my short list. Great sounding pedal, a lot of good reviews can be found on the net... I played with one for a while at a shop here in Nashville.

9. msp

msp Member

i know this is an older thread but i would like to bump it in hopes that someone could give a more uptodate input on the

mkII chunk systems, the emma, or even the rastop envelope filter

the chunk and rastop are preaty obscure and there is little info on them

the emma is a bit more popular but i was hoping that someone could give a comparative opinion on 1 or the 3

or even a short review of the rastop or the new chunk