Q for Gustavsson owners

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by loverocker, Feb 19, 2008.

1. loverocker

loverocker Member

What can you tell me about the Antiquity humbuckers used on the Bluesmaster? I have a pair and I'm trying to find out more. SD tells me they were custom-made for JG (which is presumably why there's no SD signature on the underside).

I'm wondering if they have the same internal spec as regular Antiquities - anyone know? I've emailed JG, but he's too busy making guitars to reply (quite right, too). They seem to have slightly lower DC resistance (closer to SD's Seth Lover values).

So I'm trying to decide whether to try them. How would they compare to Seth Lovers (which I have in my LS-320)? I like those a lot, but I don't want to go to the bother if they're effectively the same pickup.

Any thoughts?

2. CDaughtry

CDaughtry Member

Actually...unless he's changed recently, Johan uses Wolfetone Legends in his Bluesmasters, which I happen to love!:BEER

3. hollowbody

hollowbody Member

Mine has Tom Holmes pickups.
    Sorry.

4. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

Mine came with Voodoos. (which I wouldn't think of replacing :AOK) So I can't help you there.
    I do know Johan used a number of manufacturers pickups earlier on in Bluesmasters. Including Voodoos, Rolphs, Haussels, Holmes and Duncans (Antiquties and Seths) . But as Charlie says, I don't hear of anything else in recent years except Wolftones.

Cheers
    Pete

5. loverocker

loverocker Member

Yes, these came from a guy (another TGPer, if I remember right who bought a JG when it had Antiquities in and he swapped them out. Don't know what for. They've been in my Bits Box for maybe 2 years. So it could have been a much earlier JG.

Update: I just found mention of these pickups in an old review linked from JG's site - http://www.ultimateguitargear.com/tone_party_reviews_jg_guitars.htm - sounds like they weren't up to the job, and JG switched suppliers?

And now you've got me wondering about Wolfetone's... :rolleyes:

6. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

And which I happen to not love :( which goes to show you it's all a matter of taste. Or maybe the particular guitar. Or how your particular ears are wired.

I swapped out the Wolfetones that came in my JG for a set of Mike Turk's "Mark's Guitar Loft" humbuckers, which are based on a particular double-white PAF pickup that Mark owns. (owned?) Big improvement to my ears. And Mark's. And CharlieS's. (this is a different Charlie, although the two Charlies know each other pretty well and are both well acquainted with the whole Les Paul/PAF trip)

FWIW, I've had both Seth Lovers and Antiquities in guitars I've owned. I liked 'em both quite a bit. loverocker, how about just getting another guitar for the JG antiquities?!? :D

7. eddie101

eddie101 Silver Supporting Member

Well, what is up with Johan these days? Is he still making them?

8. v-verb

v-verb Member

SMALL WORLD!

The fabled DW that you mentioned was in a conversion that Mike owned, sold, and a few owners later ended up with me.

I had a chance to get a very special Komet, so I traded the DW PAF - which was probably the cleanest one I've ever seen - to Hogy for the Komet.

He kept it for 6 months or so and sold it on Ebay where it fetched almost $5K. It was a very special pickup, but the amp I now have is the best NMV amp I've every tried out of probably hundreds at this point.

Cheers

Nigel

9. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Great story, Nigel. A little off topic, but what is this very special Komet?

10. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

Never should have sold that pickup Nigel. When I sold you that guitar, it was the hands down best sounding Les Paul I've ever heard. Not quite the beast it was now. Still very good though. But imagine what that conversion with that pickup would be worth now.......:p:p:p

Oh well you're happy.......aren't you????????

I'll have to get a pair of the Mike Turk p/u's and see if the magic is in them and see if they live up to that PAF.

cheers
    pete

11. jaimo

jaimo Member

Guitars or pickups? Guitars, yes. (List is huge, I hear.) Pickups, never. (I'm guessing you meant guitars, really.)
    About the custom shop Antiquities, I've read and heard great reports about the standard SD Antiquity pu's. Would love to try some out.
    peace....

12. loverocker

loverocker Member

Thanks all... except:

You're sooo not helping! That's exactly what the little devil on my shoulder told me to do. :) Reading the testimonials at the JG site was a bad idea, too. But I'm trying hard to get more out of the guitars I've already got.

jaimo - sounds like I ought to at least give these Antiquties a spin... it should be easy to sell the LS-320's Seth Lovers.

13. pleximaster

pleximaster Member

Oh yes! He still builds Bluesmasters! He is moving the shop to get more space. Spoke to him the other day. He is in between locations at the moment. He is still doing the finishing in the old shop. He wants to finish another batch before he moves the finishing equipment, I think they are all sprayed and just ready for buffing.

He is spraying a goldtop for me!:D

We also spoke of a crazy custom idéa about a relic Bluesmaster sunburst. ...when ever he has the time, if he gets the time... but that would be cool! :dude

best plexi

14. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Nigel, I'm not sure we're talking about the same DW pickup. The "Mark's Guitar Loft" wind was done specifically for Mark Bishop (proprietor of MGL) and the DW PAF in question belonged to Mark B, not (to my knowledge) Mike T. MB heard MT's pickups and liked them a lot but asked MT to tweak them a bit; the standard of comparison MB used was his own DW PAF. (which is also a fabulous-sounding pickup!)

This slightly altered recipe is what MB is now selling as the "Mark's Guitar Loft" wind and what I have in my Gustavsson as well as my 2007 R9 and my Artinger Hollow Sport.

15. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

Tiger Eye w/ Voodoos. Had swapped in a set of WCR Godwoods at one point but they (as much as I love them) did not play well in the sandbox w/ that guitar. Put the Voodoos back in. Have to say that clean they catch air in an amazing way. Makes the guitar sound almost like a '335. Distorted it is very clear sounding.

I also have a chambered JG (must be because it weights only 7lb-2oz...Wolftones. Again catches air in the notes. A little warmer tone than the other JG. Through gainy amps the Wolftones are very big sounding. WOW. Love them

Love them both in both clean and distorted situations. I realize that it's hard to compare my two because of the differences in bodies.

Jim

16. tubeinmyhead

tubeinmyhead Member

My JG P-90 has antiquities and my JG HB came with Seth Lovers.

I traded out the bridge on the JG HB for a SD 59' to tame some microphonics, other than that I've left em' alone (I've had the P90 for 5 years and the HB for 3).

I think I've come to the conclusion from what I know personally and what I've read from others that JG's sound "perfect" with any high quality pickup. character may vary but I've never really heard anybody say much bad about their pickups when they're in a JG.

Must be a really good guitar builder.:D

17. clint

clint Member

That WOULD be a crazy idea. I like aged Fenders and Gibsons but making a JG look 50 years old doesn't make sense. I think they look perfect the way they are and should be aged by their owners.

18. tubeinmyhead

tubeinmyhead Member

19. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

Goldtop with P90s? AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

Care to sell it to me? :D

20. pleximaster

pleximaster Member

I know its crazy but the thing is I don´t like to make the first dents in a new guitar, but if its reliced... well it is just a fun idea, at least at the moment.

Goldtop with humbuckes for me! :) He sprayed a couple of more gold ones don´t know how many p90s and humbuckers but I saw both. I waited some time for this goldtop since he wants to make a few in gold at the same time as the bronse powder gets in everywhere in the spraying gear. He uses the same powder as Gibson did in the 50´s (The supplier is still arround.) so it should age nicely over time... or relic...

best plexi