Q: for those who use 2 channel, NON switchable amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zekmoe, Jan 26, 2008.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I was wondering, for those of you, like myself, who seem to use alot of 2 channel, non channel switchable amps, like a Matchless DC-30, Reinhardt 18 watt, or others that have dual inputs as well as some variance in pre-amp control. Do you use both channels and switch between them externally, or do you pick one, and use pedals exclusivly? The reason is I've been wondering if I'm complicating things using both channels. They do sound different (the amps above are my main babys) and I have a variety of pedals I like. But I've been wondering if you use both the "distorted" channels, and the clean channels, or do you get an overall good sound, and alter it with pedals and volume knob control, and ignore the second channel?

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I have been kind of debating the same thing as I have a Fender Bandmaster Reverb head, Bassman head, and a Vox AC30CC1. What I am planning to go with my next band is either use 2 separate amps or use the 2nd channel as a solo boost channel.

Traditionally I have just used 1 channel and used pedals.....

3. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

If you like both channels, I would try a Tonebone Switchbone (or a Switchhazel or a Framptone) to see if you can make them work together the way you like. These pedals also provide the option of using both channels together (and they take care of the potential phase issues). It may add another nice dimension to your amp.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I used both channels on my DC30 like this:

ABY A channel -> delay -> chorus -> 12AX7 channel

ABY B channel -> wah -> OD -> EF86 channel

A only for rhythm

A+B for leads

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i've used A/B setups with fenders and now a vox.... to me I could never find an amp that had 1 voice for clean and dirty that I could dig. I need "normal" channel for dirt, and vibrato for cleans, or now normal for dirt and top boost for cleans.

6. photios

photios Member

I use a Lehle D.Loop with my Wizard Vintage Classic. It has 2 channels with 4 inputs (typical plexi-ish 4-holer). I plug my git into a J. Everman THE POT pedal (which relocates your tone and volume pot to the floor), from there into the D.Loop. Loop A SEND goes to the hi input lead channel for a nice, bright, crisp chimey crunch. Loop A RETURN goes from the lo input lead channel. Loop B SEND goes to the hi input bass channel. I don't use Loop B RETURN. The Lehle output goes to a Peterson Strobostomp.

This setup gives me 3 voices:

1) Loop A on only = nice bright, chimey, crunch
    2) Loop A on + Loop B on makes a jumper between the 2 channels because of hte RETURN loop on the Lehle...its the equivalent of having a short jumper between the channels = higher gain, thicker EQ
    3) Loop B on only = big fat, thick tone

When I don't have any loops on it goes to the ouput which is connected to the Peterson so I have a muted tuner.

Add in the flexibility of my J.Everman pedal and the adjustment in pick attack and I can cover a lot of ground.

BTW, I've mounted my Lehle to my 4x12 cab with velcro so that the input cables to my amp are very short. I have picky ears and I'm anal about tone, but I don't detect any tone loss with this setup. The Lehle stuff is killer good quality as is the new version of THE POT pedal. All my cables are Van Du Hul Hybrid Integration which probably helps...and all my cable runs are kept short as possible.

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I like to use both channels to get the most out of the amps. I usually run one channel clean and the other a little dirty, generally. I also run a pretty hefty pedal rig through the amp to get even more tones.

I guess the only limitation is having to mind the channel volume differences between a clean and dirty settings on the amp, especially when its a NVM. In this case, most of these amps are.

I usually run this method on these amps:
    - FTR37
    - 65 London
    - HC-30

8. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I had that problem too, but this is how I solve it:

Get a good stage volume (say its 5) on your clean channel and leave it there.

Get on your dirty channel and instead of setting it to the same volume, just lower the vol to say, 3. Then slam the front end with a clean boost pedal. This will drive the preamp the same way that a master volume will.

9. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i use both channels, depending on the flavour i want, but don't use a switcher. i just plug into the channel that i want to use for a particular song and adjust the knobs accordingly.

10. Topas

Topas Member

Bad Cat Black Cat owner here, using both channels most of the time with A/B/Y switch standing ready when I want clean sound.

11. rnm14

rnm14 Member

I set one channel to my liking and use pedals on the following amps:

-Reinhardt 18
    -65amps Marquee
    -original 1974x

and ignore the other channel completely.

I link the channels on my '71 Super Tremolo with a patch cable.

I have thought about buying a Switchhazel or something similar, but in the end it's just too much of a hassle to connect all of it (one more pedal, one more cable, one more power plug....you get the idea).

I get phenomenal results with a few select pedals this way.

12. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I tend to use both channels and use a good A/B/Y like either a Lehle Dual or Whilrwind.

I set one channel to be brighter and cleaner for rhythm work and the other to be darker and dirtier for leads. Then I combine them with the Y for more aggressive leads.

Sometimes I use different effects chains for each channel.

But lately, I've found myself using a Wah, one OD set mainly as a boost and EQ, a good delay or reverb, and that's it.