Q: for Vinetto owners. 2 pickup or 3?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by zekmoe, Feb 26, 2006.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

A question for those who've played the Vinettos. I'm very interested in one, and love the look of the 3 pickups. But I'm mildly concerned about interference on the middle pickup when playing. For those of you who've played both, did you find it got in the way at all?
    Also, I'm more of a gibson man, never having found too many Fenders with necks I like. If my ideal is on my Historic Les Paul Jr. (Round and fat almost obnoxiously so) and my worst nitemare is on my Jackson (Thin and flat. 80's shred ideal) where would you place the neck profile on a Vinetto? I had about 10 Teles in my life and most had thin, small necks, the most recent being a Jap 69 Tele with F-Hole. It had a neck like a Pencil. Bigger and rounder is more what I want. I don't have any point of reference to vintage teles. Only newer and reissue ones.
    Thanks.

2. Vince

Vince Member

Hey Bob,

I think we've only got 3 or 4 around here, and I don't know if there are any Deuce owners. There aren't that many Deuces out there.

I like both models, but FWIW I've never had a problem with a middle pickup getting in my way.

If you like bigger necks, you won't be disappointed. We don't do girlie necks.:)

3. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

The middle pickup doesn't get in my way. The only guitar that's been a big problem for me on is the PRS Custom Soapbar, couldn't work with it.

The neck on my Vinetto (50s profile/rosewood board) is definitely not a thin neck. Not a humongous monster but very substantial and in an instantly perfectly comfortable way.

cheers,
    Jon

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I'm dyin' here... I need to PLAY one of these suckers...!

The switching system sounds VERY gigable...!

5. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

I think I am going to pick up one of the 3 pick up models I have seen pre owned in Fiesta Red.
    I am a big fan of the 50's Fender colors.
    Now if I could just find one in LP Blue!:D

6. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

i've only had my legato for a few days but i've gotten to play it plenty and the middle pickup has not been a problem. mine has the 60 c neck which i find very comfortable--comparable to my anderson standard carve neck but maybe just a hair thicker.

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

No problem with the middle pickup here either. I don't even think twice about it. IMHO, if you are on the fence, definately go with the 3 pickup. The additional tones of the 2, 4, and all 3 pickups on are extremely good and useable. Unless you simply don't like stratty tones at all, the 3 pickup is simply more versatile.

The neck on mine is quite beefy, but was a custom order. Fretwork, finish, and playability is excellent.:AOK

8. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

I own a Deuce, love it to pieces! I like simplicity and the Deuce seems near perfect for the type of guitar it is. I wouldn't own the three pickup version just because it looks a little too busy and cluttered, probably sounds great though. I love the blender on the Deuce, tons of useable tones. Made a "T" type guy out of me, never thought that would happen. Great guitars.

P.S. I really, no REALLY, want a buttescotch/blackguard! Honey are you listening?!?!

Scott

9. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    That Deuce TC looks like the bomb. Vince, looks like you are just up the road in NW St. Louis County. Didn't know you were so close.

10. Vince

Vince Member

11. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Cool. Truthfully, I'm up to my ears in guitars and studio gear doing the home recording/home brew cd in my spare time thing. I'm not in the market for a new axe at this time. Although after spending a couple hours today straightening the neck on my Muddy Waters Tele (too much relief has crept into the neck over the winter) and filing the protruding fret ends, maybe a new tele style guitar isn't that bad of an idea. I'd better stop now before my wife beats me over the head with the dummy stick.:D

Seriously, you got some pretty guits there, I'll try to stop by when I'm back in the buyers' market. Good luck!