Q: Two Channel NON Channel switching amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zekmoe, Jan 29, 2008.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I have a question for all who use a 2 channel, NON channel switching amp, similar to a DC-30 or Reinhardt 18. There are 2 differently voiced channels, but they're not always "clean" and "distorted" like many high gain channel switcher amps. Do you find yourself using both channels or do you just pick one and use pedals? I've been for years trying to use both, and a combo of pedals, but I'm wondering if I'm over complicating things. Are you really using them as one channel amps, and picking your favorite channel? The amps above are the 2 I have which fall into this category, and I've always had issue with using both channels on the Matchless. Never got a good blend between the settings. Your experience, please.
    THanks

2. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Just a friendly bump. Anyone but me do this?

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

the ac30 is unswitchable 2 channel as well.

i built an a/b/y switch so i can switch between them, but i mainly just use the clean channel and put pedals over it. i use them as y sometimes as it gives it a fuller sound and can also set volume higher for like a boost.

but yes, mainly just the one channel gets used at this stage.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I use two channels on my AC30 sometimes. I like the tremelo, but like to be able to blend it with the bright channel to get a more subtle effect. The tremelo channel is also noisier, so I only turn it up when I plan to use it, then jumper it from the low input of the brite channel. On my Tweed and Brown Fenders and Marshalls, I'll often jumper the channels to get a more interesting distortion sound. I don't usually use the AB box thing, although I did when I had the Kendrick Climax (which had a BF channel and a "Trainwreck" channel).

5. dumeril7

dumeril7 Member

I'm using both channels on my Ceriatone DC30 clone. Its working well for me, but I'm not the sort of player who wants a pristine clean sound and an overdrive sound. I think it would be hard to balance the volumes if I wanted that. I prefer my "clean" tone with a bit of grit on it so when I match the levels of the channels it actually works out pretty well. I like having the option of using either channel because they're very different from each other but both sound really good.

D7

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I use my Titan this way, but I actually use it like a 2 amp wet/dry rig, using the normal side as the effect amp and the TMB side dry. This way I can A/B/Y and get a lot of variety from one amp. Usually I run 2 amps, using my Satellite and Reinhardt together, but when space and volume are an issue, the Titan works great by itself.

7. photios

photios Member

I use both channels on my Wizard Vintage Classic by using a Lehle D.Loop which has 2 loops: A and B.

I acess the "lead" channel by making the SEND on loop A to to the hi input on the lead channel. The lo input on the lead channel goes to the RETURN on loop A....this serves as a channel jumper when both loops are turned on.

The SEND on loop B goes to the hi input "rhythm" channel.

The bypassed output of the D.Loop goes to my tuner.

When I turn on only loop A, I get a bright, chimey, low gain crunch

When I turn on only loop B, I get a rich, thick, low gain crunch

When I turn on both loops, I get a higher gain, thicker EQ crunch

When I have no loops on, I go to my tuner and the output of my tuner goes nowhere so the tuner out is muted.

So I get 3 voices out of my amp this way...I mount the D. Loop on my 4x12 cab with velcro so that I only have short signal cables going to the amp. I detect no tone suck with the Lehle at all.

8. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Cool. Very interesting variations. I've never thought of them that way. I've always tried to get them to do what they're probably not intended for. Super Clean and Super Crunch. I'll work on some of the suggestions to see if they work for me.

9. guitarchris

guitarchris Member

I used to just use the Top Boost chan on my SC-30 with pedals out front for dirt. Then I jumped between the two. I've never had GREAT results a/bing between the two in a dirty clean situation....but I haven't done that in quite some time.