Q: Weber Blue Dog or Silver Bell for JTM45 clone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by claptonisgood, Oct 30, 2005.

1. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

What do you guy's think? A Blue Dog or Silver Bell for a 1X12 JTM 45 clone combo?

2. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Assuming you mean the Alnico.....

Depends on what you are looking for, they are voiced quite differently.

The Silver Bell has very solid lows, is very smooth but a little dark. The Blue Dog's lows are not as good, but has brighter midrange and highs.

Be sure to get at least a 30 watt, preferably a 50.

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yep I agree with your statements for sure.. I liked both speakers but they're way different. They compliment each other well in a 2x12 btw. I really like the Eminence Cannabis Rex's more than both of those with my jtm45 and most amps! But we all have different tastes for sure. Good luck

ERIC

4. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I have the Weber Blue Dog and Silver Bell combo in my Fargen and it kicks! It rocks for that JTM-45 classic rock mid pushed tone and the Vox channel has that chimey ring to it as well. Eventually I may spring for some Celestion Blues, but at this point, if it's not broke, don't fix it :)

5. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

I'll add a bit more...I haven't tried either of these Weber speakers...I currently like the Emi Red Fang and I would guess it is closer to the Blue Dog? With the JTM45 clone combo I am building, I am looking for a bit more solidity with the lows and an overall darker character wouldn't bother me at all...I am sort of going after the EJ doing EC/Cream thing...I know the 2X12 config would be better, but it will never fit in the back seat easily! Thanks for the wattage recommendation as well! Is there much of a tonal difference when you bump from the 30 to 50 Watt rating?

6. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

If it's a closed back, Ceramic Blue Dog

If it's an open back, AlNiCo Blue Dog

The Silver Bells are a bit dark as mentioned above, both AlNiCo or Ceramic.

I would choose the Ceramic Blue Dog, pre broken-in and lightly doped. Also ask Weber if he can put an 'H' dome on it.

Just my .02 YMMV :cool:

7. Reeek

Reeek Member

+1 on that. The ceramic Blue Dog is Ted's best speaker, overall, IMHO.

8. Roe

Roe Member

what is the H dome?

9. Roe

Roe Member

10. Sean Doty

Sean Doty Member

My Rockytop 45H regularly pushes a Swanson open-backed 2x12 cab loaded with a Silver Bell and Blue Dog (both Alnicos) and I couldn't be happier. I've had this cabinet for years (used it with some old Buddas), but it really seems to like the JTM 45 circuit, IMO.

I say go for it!

11. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Mixing them is cool and OldRushFan is correct, the pair work well together.

I've got two pair of Weber's Blue Dogs and Silver Bells in a circa early '70s V-4 cabinet, closed. The Silver Bells down below and the Blue Dogs up top. No dope, pre-broken-in, custom 50 oz ceramic magnets. The cab rocks.

All all time favorite mis-match is Webers AlNiCo 8A125 with an 8A125T. I've got them in 2x8 and 4x8 configs, combo and half/split back. I stumbled across this difference and I am very happy with the sound.

12. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

has anybody compared the Alnico and ceramic Blue Dogs side-by-side? or at least had both at one time or another? Would it be a safe guess that the ceramic might be a little tighter in the bass with a bit less compression?

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I play my JTM45 into an open back cab with a pair of 30w Blue Dog Alnicos-they sound great!

14. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

I have not compared the alnico and ceramic blue dogs side by side.

However, it is generally true that ceramics would be a bit tighter and punchier with less compression. It is also generally true that ceramics are generally not as smooth or warm sounding as alnicos. As with any generalizations, there are exceptions.

It depends on what sound you are going for as to which would be a better choice.

15. ericb

YEs, you are correct. I've had the C12b's , C12s, c12n, P12b, P12s, P12n, etc. In all cases , the P(Alnicos ) seemed a bit less volume, a bit boingier and bit more compressed. Noone believes my Cannabis Rex comment re: jtm45's... okay, your loss :D
    ERIC

16. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

this is one of the Emi's that has been on my list to try for a long time but never got around to it...maybe it's time! FWIW, the one's I have tried, I love the Red Fang, I like the Private Jack, I think the Govenor is OK and i did not like the Texas Heat...

17. ericb

Cool, I sort am kidding around with people re: the "Your loss" comment, but they work for me great with lots of amps and killer with my retro-modded jtm45ri. Some people on the internet have posted that they have tried them and thought they were too smokey or whatever , but not me at all. Keep in mind I play relatively loud and they're good for any type of music. At very lo volumes they wouldn't be as open as some other types of speakers. I have a few Red Fangs too and though I love them , I don't even have them in cabs at this point. I've thought about selling them numerous times as they're 'extras' and I need the money, BUT I like them so much , they're sort of like 'inventory' for 'future reference"! I've been so happy with the Cannabis rex with many of my setups , and some Wizards with other setups that I haven't put these to good use. Btw, I have a single Governor in a Carolina Cabs 1x12 and I love that speaker too, but I could see how it might not be for everyone as it's not as 'flavored' as these others

ERIC

18. Roe

Roe Member

there is a lot of good suggestions here.
    Because the jtm45 is a bit bassy (with kt66s), I'd get a 50w blue dog or a red fag.

19. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

When will this type of homophobia end?
    :(

;)

20. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

I have a 2x12 with weber blue dogs, a cermic and alnico. Love 'em. I actually prefer the ceramic slightly over the alnico. I use a Germino Club 40 with that cab and it's a great sound. You can check out his website in the sound clips page at the bottom for some examples.