QC?? Who makes the crappiest guitars? Post your pigs!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by biggreen, Jul 6, 2008.

1. biggreen

biggreen Member

Okay, this thread isn't the typical thread where we all gush about or lovely guitars and how perfect they are. It isn't one of those threads were we talk about how our $400 guitars are as good as our $2000 guitars.

In this thread we lay it out like it is, we talk honestly about quality control, or more appropriately the lack of QC. So let's settle it once and for all. Who made/makes the crappiest guitar(s)

I will start with mine, a MIM 72 TL tele RI. It has been in a few few threads now, but I will sum it all up in this one, I love it, but it is one of the lousiest production guitars I have seen when it comes to QC. I checked out a few of them before settling on this one, but only because it had the most character to me. Still it is a pig, and from my experience I contend that currently, the worst QC'd guitars available at reputable dealers are coming from Fenders MIM line. Since I started the thread I win, until of course someone else can show me up with a guitar that has even more flagrant QC violations! :AOK

So here it is:

Nice straight bridge:
    [​IMG]

those sweet perfectly round markers:

[​IMG]

And custom thumb divot in the neck which has a nice little bump in the middle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MMMM slivers!

[​IMG]

things I can't take pictures of:

- When I got it the D string tuner was so tight that the only way I could even restring it has to use pliers, a rag and some WD40 for about 15 minutes on it.

- Oh ya, it hums like a bastard when you don't ground it with your hands, same as my buddies MIM 72 tele. These guitars have humbuckers FCS!!

So do we have any contenders?? :moon

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

When I was shoping for 70s reissue strats I found most of them were horribly set up. One had the neck bolted on crooked. Two had the high E string aligned off the fretboard near the pickups. This is on $1000+ guitars.

Trying Gibson ES335s was no better. I found bits of plastic hanging off the pickup guard, rough frets, and generally below-average workmanship - all this on $2000 guitars.

Compared with my $300 Ibanez Artcore which was perfect from day one, I'd say each of those big-name guitars should be about $38 tops.

Now my Fender Am Dlx Strat is wonderful, and i've played killer 335s, but man were the ones I'm referencing disappointing.

GAD

3. Zilmo

Zilmo Member

This is on a Gibson guitar of the week Reverse V from last year. Not only is it missing the screw, it was never drilled for it.

[​IMG]

4. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

The binding nibs on my '07 LP Standard look like they were cut by an 8th grader using a hacksaw.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

The local luthier/repair guy was telling me horror stories a while back. He had a Custom Shop Fender Bass come in. It could not be intonated properly. The saddles were cranked all the way (can't remember which way) He determined that the bridge needed to be moved. When he pulled the bridge, he found that there was a big gouge in the body underneath. The Custom Shop just mounted the bridge to cover the hole.

For me, my mid 90's Epi Sheraton II was the worst I have ever seen. It was a well intentioned present from my parents. I would have never bought it. Rough fret work. Pinching nut. Rough saddles. Binding applied by a blind person (no offense to our blind friends) or a broken machine (no offense to our broken machine friends). Just about everything you can think of on top of the usual bad Epi pickups, tuners, etc..

6. David Collins

David Collins Member

Man, you guys haven't seen crap, have you. Everything so far isn't much above par for the $200-$2000 market. Seriously. pretty much nothing mentioned yet would even raise an eyebrow for me as anything too far out of the "ordinary" for a factory instrument. The more you start looking, the more you'll find just how crappy everything you thought was alright really is.:p

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Let me see if I have this right.

You went to the store, waded through a bunch of guitars and bought the one you felt was the least crappy but in your opinion was still a POS.

After all of that you start a thread to show what crap Fender is putting out.

I'm not sure who's a bigger ass, Fender or....

You, sir, deserve the POS guitar since you knew it was crap and paid for it anyway.

:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon:moon

8. doublee

doublee Member

Wow ... is all I can say, thanks for the heads up.

9. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

10. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

How about the guy with his inlays falling out of his R7?

11. XKnight

XKnight Member

I love Gibson, but many of the recent guitars they are making have horrible quality control.

12. biggreen

biggreen Member

Wow, thanks for that. :AOK You are awesome!

13. ebowman

ebowman Member

The Gibson Explorer that I bought in the 80's (with money saved up from my after-school job :dude) was the worst I've had. I ordered it from Sam Ash - no real guitar shops nearby. It arrived with one tuner angled about 30 degrees from the others. The nut was so crooked that the high E was lying on the first fret, while the low E towered above it. There were other issues that I don't remember now, but I was pretty disappointed.

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Glad to be of service! :)

15. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

[​IMG]

By mastering these skills you will never again be a victim to passive aggressive behavior. You can finally free yourself of the emotional roller coaster ride you've been on; you can learn to trust yourself again, and you can feel, once and for all, truly happy with your life.

:roll

16. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I think he bought it just so he can whine about it in multiple threads online.

17. biggreen

biggreen Member

There is no need to fight. Somtimes people say things they don't mean, are insulting and/or accusatory instead of contributing to a discussion with relevant anecdotes and queries. Regardless, positive reinforcement is always a good thing.

18. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

"Oh, whoa is me."

19. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Maybe I'll try my hand at this GoatF***

It's "Woe is me"

-Jon

20. biggreen

biggreen Member

Nice theory, but when local is your only option, and after checking out 4 in total, you get what you get.

True, I did start this discussion in another thread, but I felt it had drifted out of the realm of the original thread title and thought it would be a good forum for a seperate discussion on Qualtiy control in general when it comes to current production guitars.

I like your 1 line quip answer better though :drink, let's go with that. And then let's remember that I have a 30 day return poilicy so if I return it and get my money back, that is my option. Would I do it? No, I like the guitar, crappy worksmanship and all it plays well and sounds well enough to my ears.