QMix with Macbook Pro, Airport Extreme and Presonus board

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tvegas99, Mar 23, 2015.

1. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

this was our first weekend using QMix for an 11 piece band, our soundman has a macbook pro, airport extreme for connectivity and a 24 channel Presonus, he monitors the mix out front with an iPad

band members have downloaded the QMix app onto their iPhones or iPad's and everyone is able to control their own IEM mix via their IEM pack/phone/iPad, it's been pretty awesome

anyone else using a similar setup??

no problems the first gig we used it, but we did have the board freeze on us the 2nd gig, this could have been a disaster, only way to fix the freeze was to reboot the board, luckily it happened at a good time instead of the middle of a song

we don't know why it froze, anyone have a similar experience

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. jim683

jim683 Member

I have the original 16.4.2 I have not had the issue with the board freezing, but read many stories of people whose mixers did freeze. Some with a computer connected and some with nothing connected.

Since day one, I have the mixer on a UPS battery back up and a voltage regulator. the unit I use is a Furman AR1215, not cheap but never a problem so far. I also use it on my Expression 2 and no issues with it either

Was electrical power an issue at the 2nd gig? I've read lots of stories about the mixers not working properly when the power was suspect

3. tvegas99

it's hard to know if it was the power, it very likely could have been... thanks very much for the info it'll help moving forward

4. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

The 16.4.2 was my board of choice for the first two years of my mobile sound company. I really loved the recording and iPad functionality of it. I did have my first board fry on me, but it was a power issue at a venue that I was in. That was my hard learned lesson of using some sort of voltage regulator before the board. Presonus was hands down the best customer service I have ever encountered in my life. I sent the board away and had it back in about three weeks. When it came back, there was a new issue with an aux send not working. When they heard that they overnighted me a replacement board at no cost to me. I have since moved on to a soundcraft board, but I still do really love the presonus company.

Also their app kicks the soundcraft app's ass.

5. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Whenever I run into a band using IEM's I tell them
    About QMix and they are always impressed. I've never had a lockup, I use a Cyberpower UPS at every gig.

6. ercguitar

ercguitar Supporting Member

I have a 16.0.2 which technically is a different board all together from the 16.4.2 and larger, but I've never had it freeze like you described. I've been using the SL-Remote on iPad for quite awhile, but we're just getting into using QMix for the whole band. Our drummer loves it.

7. tvegas99

thanks for the responses

has anyone had any router issues on the gig??

8. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

I use the standard apple router and have had zero issues.

9. tvegas99

do you hardwire the router MLG?

are you using a Macbook Pro?

10. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

With my soundcraft board it's hard wired to the board. When I was using the presonus I had it hard wired to my MacBook Pro. Worked like a champ. Even in busy cell phone areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. tvegas99