• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

QOTSA- Silicon fuzz?

spoonie g

So I just picked up a silicon fuzzface and was messing around with it into my jcm800. I had my guitar downtuned and tried it as a "boost" (volume full/fuzz 0) and it nailed that sound to my ears. I've never heard of anyone saying he use a silicon, but could it be? Or just a lucky combo?

lux_interior

But of course he is using a silicon fuzz, ever since his (late) Kyuss days until today... the Fulltone Ultimate Octave! Which silicon fuzz face did you get? The UO sounds different, more bassy and a bit more focused, more Big Muff-ier, with an occasional hint of an octave down if you listen carefully on higher notes. But in 9 times out of ten he is using it on completely clean amps, or amps on the point of sliiiiiightly breaking up a la Stones. For more details you can browse through TGP, his setups have been discussed a lot, also by me...

Kev O)))

The Fuzz side of the Ultimate Octave is based on the BC108. Which is the Silicon version of a Fuzz Face.

SpaceFlunky

But of course he is using a silicon fuzz, ever since his (late) Kyuss days until today... the Fulltone Ultimate Octave! Which silicon fuzz face did you get? The UO sounds different, more bassy and a bit more focused, more Big Muff-ier, with an occasional hint of an octave down if you listen carefully on higher notes. But in 9 times out of ten he is using it on completely clean amps, or amps on the point of sliiiiiightly breaking up a la Stones. For more details you can browse through TGP, his setups have been discussed a lot, also by me...

He didnt start using that pedal until late in the StfD tour. He used a bunch of different fuzz pedals. I know i saw an Original Way Huge Swollen Pickle. From what i saw live he turned his ampegs up to slight break up then throws the UO on top of it. He only uses the octave up in the little sister solo.

lux_interior

@JD: From what I've heard (haven't looked at the schematic), the UO is much closer to a Foxx Tone Machine than a fuzz face... yes, it involves silicon, but it doesn't sound like a silicon fuzz face almost at all. It doesn't sound as delicate, it doesn't clean up well and it has way more bass and more gain.

@SFlunky: I agree with everything you wrote, except the Songs for the Deaf tour. He was using it before that. True, he didn't use it in Kyuss (it was not made back then - Fulltone started making them around 96). However, he started using them in tours after Rated R.

SpaceFlunky

@JD: From what I've heard (haven't looked at the schematic), the UO is much closer to a Foxx Tone Machine than a fuzz face... yes, it involves silicon, but it doesn't sound like a silicon fuzz face almost at all. It doesn't sound as delicate, it doesn't clean up well and it has way more bass and more gain.

@SFlunky: I agree with everything you wrote, except the Songs for the Deaf tour. He was using it before that. True, he didn't use it in Kyuss (it was not made back then - Fulltone started making them around 96). However, he started using them in tours after Rated R.

from the boards ive seen i havent seen one pic from that era with a UO on it. Im sure he did use one but i havent seen it.

And yes the UO is more or less a Tone Machine clone. I got one made by Creepy Fingers. It doesnt clean up very good (dont need it to) and it indeed has more bass and gain than a FF. To me they sounds totally different from each other. When you hear him get a overdriven tone i think he just turns the UO off and you hear his Ampegs "breaking up"

Top Bottom