QOTSA tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by soulohio, Jun 29, 2006.

1. soulohio

soulohio Member

any queens of the stone age fans...give me an idea of the effects that josh hommes uses. i have the ampeg (stock VT40 with stock CTS speakers), now i need something to coax the sound out at lower volumes, if possible. especially that ampeg saturated sound he gets on recordings...

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Good luck. J-Ho gets that sound by getting after the amp, and he's uber secretive about the particulars. He's not playing the Ampeg's through 12's, I can tell you that. I'm pretty sure it's 10's.

Some people have posted pics of his effects on this and other boards, but IMO, that's not really how to get his sound. I've had some luck with a D*A*M Meathead for the fuzzy stuff.

3. Antero

Antero Member

Judging by my experience of QOTSA live, he's running that thing flat out. Ow.

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

yea man, i saw them live and they are loud. but on the CD's he has an almost quiet saturation going on, if that makes any sense. i don't think it's all studio majic, he is in the mix low at times but that amp is getting a special saturation-distortion with an almost choruslike effect...sounds very Ampeg...

5. soulohio

soulohio Member

think of the song "long slow goodbye" from lullabyes to paralyze...

6. utterhack

utterhack Member

1. Tune down to C.
    2. Move way out into the high desert where you can drive the hell out of the Ampeg without getting death threats from your neighbors.
    3. That's it. You've got the cake - any fx are just a bit of icing.

Note: if 2 above is not practical for you, I've heard a SCOD can help. And a muff certainly never hurts. But 90% of it really is the tuning and the amp. Um, and fwiw that Ovation GP, so 'buckers on mahogany/maple. But mostly, tuning and cranking.

7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

wheres QOTSA?

......ill bet he can tell ya...

8. QOTSA

QOTSA Senior Member

HA! thankx for the shout pete.

Soulohio, your VT-40 will get you there - (people will swear by a 6l6 conversion but dont let me fool ya - NOS 7027s is all I use)

Next its really all about the guitar and pup / tone selection. Better off not frustrating yourself looking at pedals for "the tone" at low volumes cause it aint happnen'

For lower volume my pedal of choice these days is the Gaspedals Carb. Great organic ampy crunch, but still not a melting VT-40 or V-4.

Hope that helps. -j

9. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

definitely, humbucker, drop tuning, anything on e the bright channel above 4 will get you there. No pedals needed. Did the experiment a few months back. Tried it with an attenuator, cost me a pair of 7027s. I run Philips JAN 7581As now. Still god and has that QOTSA grind. Key is the bass up, mids up and treble up. They are somewhat interactive and give more gain. But t is rediculously loud. I am selling mine soon since we moved into a heavily populated area...cant do the high volumes anymore unfortunately, since it is an awesome amp. Has that just on the verge of feedback quality with some settings w/ huge volume..I have celestion vintage 10s and jensen neo 10s in mine, so the speakers are rated enouh to take the noise. My guess is tat Josh from QOTSA has upgraded as well. The original CTS speakers blew within minutes when cranked, but these V10s and Neos together sound sweet and balanced and pretty amazing clean or dirty..