QSC HPR 181w Subs?

ryanc

Silver Supporting Member
So I just took a little road trip out of town to purchase a pair of used QSC KW181 subs from a guy. Got there and discovered that they were actually QSC's older HPR 181w models. Grrrrr... So I called QSC to get more info on them and they say that though the KW's are newer and different amp design, the HPR181's are equivalent performance wise. I can get these HPR's for $1200 for the pair. I plan to add 2 more subs though for a total of 4, but was originally planning on having 4 matching subs. Should I just pass on these or pick them up and add a pair of KW181's to run with them later? Thanks.

MLG Audio

Did he specifically say that he was selling the kw version? If so, I would definitely not pay 1200 for them. He could be trying a little bait and switch. Those things are much older and much heavier 127 vs 88lbs. If you really want to buy them I would get him to go 1k or no deal. Especially if he made you drive out to see them.

IMO I wouldn't buy them. The KW are going to be easier to get serviced when you have to, they are lighter, and you will be able to find a matching pair much more easily.

ryanc

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the reply. Ya he said they were KW181's when I asked for the specific QSC model. I was planning on buying them, until I got there and saw they weren't KW's!

ryanc

Silver Supporting Member
Ok thanks everybody. I'll just pass on them then. Thanks for the info. I'll just continue looking for whatever I can find used but clean - Yorkville, KW181's, JBL, etc.

Floyd Eye

Ok thanks everybody. I'll just pass on them then. Thanks for the info. I'll just continue looking for whatever I can find used but clean - Yorkville, KW181's, JBL, etc.

I guess I wouldn't discount that EV sub that one dude was talking about. DJs seem to like them and 335guy said they were solid.

335guy

So were these the 5 yr old QSC subs you were talking about in your other post?

"Ok, I've found a pair of 4-5 year old but clean QSC KW181 subs for $1400. Hopefully I could get them for a touch less. I talked to QSC and they say there have been no changes to the KW subs in the last 5 years, so should I grab these? Whatever I get, I'll eventually get another pair when I find more available used."

If so, kinda too bad the seller screwed up the model. The KW181's would have been a good deal. BTW, while the older HPR's are okay, they aren't as loud, are much heavier, and have less power. $1200 for a pair is a bit too much, even in excellent condition.

sacakl

Gold Supporting Member
I remember your other thread, OP, and thinking that was a killer deal, almost to good to be true. Glad you checked it out.

ryanc

Silver Supporting Member
So were these the 5 yr old QSC subs you were talking about in your other post?

If so, kinda too bad the seller screwed up the model. The KW181's would have been a good deal. BTW, while the older HPR's are okay, they aren't as loud, are much heavier, and have less power. $1200 for a pair is a bit too much, even in excellent condition.
Yep. He originally just said they were QSC's, and then when I inquired further about model, he said they were KW181's. He was originally asking $1400 for the pair, and he later agreed to come down in price when I communicated with him via email and text. After my info gathering on here, I decided I'd go the KW181 route since that was a good price for a pair used, and then add another pair of matching subs later. So I set up a time to meet him today, and upon getting there, discovered they weren't actually KW181's. He was really nice and apologetic, saying he thought they were KW181's, 'and well.... they're basically the same sub, just rebranded'. I told him I didn't know anything about this model, so left them there and figured I'd ask about them on here. Glad I didn't go ahead and get them then!

So now I'm back to sub hunting. In no hurry, but will buy something as soon as I find something slightly used or B stock, at a discounted price. Yorkville, KW181, JBL, EV, the plan being to eventually get 4 matching. Thanks everybody!

Trending Topics