QSC K-series: subwoofer needed?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JimEff, Jan 14, 2014.

1. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

I applaud you for it, but it's not a little extra work where i'm sitting. Then again, i'm pretty uptight about the way i wrap cables to put them away, and I'm basically the ONLY person who can do it. adding another 8 channels just ain't worth the time. i worked for years with nothing more than a powered mixer with 6 channels! some of the stuff in my signature is that alone. . . it's all in how you use what you've got and how invested the players on stage are in the overall sound as well (always been lucky with that).

2. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

Spot on!

3. JimEff

JimEff Member

This.
    Vocals rule. Everything else is just accompaniment. Depends on the type of band tho I guess. If you're an SRV tribute I guess you'd want to highlght the guitar as well.
    We just did a gig where nothing but the vocals went through the PA and we killed it. Tons of compliments on how we sounded.

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

As others have said it depends on the venue, but we use subs on our jbl 15" 3 ways and it makes a big difference.....with the right sound man....
    we have a small gig we play and use peavey 10" 2 ways with a powered Yamaha mixer putting only vocals and kick drum..and that sounds great as well....

5. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Subs I'll make a big difference but if you don't mic bass or kick it probably isn't worth the effort. That said- you should put a mic on the kick.

6. Badside

Badside Member

Oh my, running the kick drum and bass guitar through an added sub adds SO MUCH to a rock band. Then adding floor and rack toms is the icing on the cake.

7. BBN

BBN Member

You are spot on.

If you don't think you need a sub, you've never tried one and walked out front.

Better yet, borrow a sub, mic the kick, walk out front, feel the thump....then turn the sub off.
    You will buy a sub the next day.

People will say.....I don't know what was different, but you guys sounded great tonight.

8. dporto

dporto Member

"It's a night and day difference in the amount of control you have and the quality of the mix you can get."

This is/should be based entirely on the size and type of room you're playing.

9. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

You could always rent some sub's for the gig. Better yet, bass bins, they work much better outdoors due to the high SPL.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  10. JimEff

JimEff Member

A valid point which seems to be lost on some of the folks singing the praises of subwoofers. I think the style of music should be considered also (in addition to the room size). Hip-hop yes, folk-rock maybe not :eek:

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Not at all. My comment was about micing everything, and room size has nothing to do with how much control and the quality of the mix micing everything gives you, and it's a mistake to think that control can't help you in a small room.

12. fenderpro

fenderpro Member

I think it's great to have everything mic'd, provided you have 1. a great guy who you completely trust to do the mix. 2. the other musicians (and you) will do what the sound guy asks. 3. you've got the mics and gear to do the job.
    not every job calls for a slamming bass drum and bass sound. I've been lucky enough to work in situations with a really good sound man, but also been involved with many gigs where just the vocals and horns were mic'd. it's always weird when you can't tell if the sound out front is anywhere near what the sound is onstage.

13. dporto

dporto Member

My point is that often there is no need to mic a guitar amp (or two) in a small room. In fact I've played gigs where a tenor sax totally overpowers the entire band without a mic - would you say mic'ing him would give you more control? As pointed out in the post above, you better have a good sound person if you want to get it right - in my experience, a lot of bar/small room gigs barely pay enough for the band, no less a sound guy/girl who is...not necessary;)

14. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I don't want to keep going back and forth with you on this. Sometimes, there's a right and a wrong, and this is one of those times. You may be able to get by without micing, but it's never optimal. Never.

15. BobbyRay

Diminishing returns. There are times that mic'ing is absolutely a waste of time.

You may not agree, but you're allowed to be wrong.:Devil

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'm allowed to be, but I'm not. I've explained why a number of times.

17. BobbyRay

I was of course being facetious, but I reject the idea that what's right for you is right for all.

Could not disagree with you more on this in my >20 years of gigging. Your experiece is not > than my experiece, just as my experience is not > than your experience.

Different intents and purposes. Different goals, different intended outcomes, your way is not right, it's right for your purposes. End of discussion.

18. dporto

dporto Member

Thank you Bobby Ray! I couldn't have said it better myself...:aok

19. BobbyRay

De Nada!:beer

20. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'm not saying my experience is better, just that there are so many advantages to micing everything, and other than it's a bit cheaper and easier, no advantages to not micing that I don't see how it's even debatable, "End of discussion" or not.