QSC K10 Mod

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Guitar Vilain, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

There's a thread about a mod to the QSC K10 at the Fractal Audio forums that basically states that the driver is out of phase with the woofer, and that it sounds better if you invert the phase of the driver.

It also points out that there's a low end emphasis on the K10 that can be circumvented by adding a low shelf at 700 Hz with Q of 0.7 and a -3dB cut. The thread can be found here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-cabs/37051-k10.html

I've done the mod to my K10 (it's ridiculously easy) but haven't tested it extensively yet, more on this when I've played with it for a while. I've also added said EQ correction to one of my 11R patches and it does seem to help.

Now, here's my question: is there any way I can add a 700 Hz -3dB Q=0.7 low shelf using a compact device like a pedal or something similar? I wouldn't like the correction I apply to my K10 to go to FOH as well you know? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

3. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

Thanks for the reply and the link, but I think I'd need something that can handle line level signals as I'd connect it between the amp out of the 11R and the K10 input.

4. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I would think someone could handwire something like this in a small box for you. A quick google search of "diy parametric eq pedal" brings up a lot of possible leads.

5. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

Again, pedals usually deal with instrument level signals, I'm looking for something that can handle line level signals. Also most of the DIY projects I've seen as well as commercial available products have a low shelf frequency upper range of 300 Hz or so, some a bit higher but none that I've seen reach the needed 700 Hz mark.

Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and adapt all my patches to include a parametric EQ in them, and additionally I'll have to ask the sound guy to compensate for the bottom end I'll be losing by doing so :puh

6. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

You might ask Jay about this, or check with one of the DIY speaker sites. Should be no end of options. Maybe www.diyaudio.com

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

You can buy used 31 band and parametric eq's cheap these days. Always under $100
    Thanks to Guitar Villain for this thread. I have a K10 and the woofy low end has always bugged me.