QSC K12.2 vs Yamaha dsr112

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Radiovoice1968, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Radiovoice1968

Radiovoice1968 Member

Hi all,
    I'm in a dilemna on which speaker to choose for my wedding dj business/ home music studio. Seems like every internet thread says go with Yamaha but the guitar center guys are pushing the qscs. They're saying the headroom is better than the dsr. Thoughts?

2. mattball826

mattball826 Member

If going by Spec they are very similar with DSR having a better spl 134db vs 132 which isn't enough difference to be concerned

Wattage spec is BS anyway so just go with they are close enough

Yamaha comes with 7 yr warranty
    Qsc is 3yr with add on 3yr when registered promptly

3. RockoRecords

RockoRecords Member

QSC K12's and the Yamaha DSR 112 are great for live sound, I would rather a Yamaha NS10's for a home studio(unless your home studio isn't recording and it is more of a practice/rehearsal space).
    You can find QSC's much cheaper online than thru Guitar Center, unless you drop 10k on gear and "make friends" with an employee, you are paying MSRP for most new items.

4. Radiovoice1968

Radiovoice1968 Member

5. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

They are both fantastic options. Bring some of your favorite songs and listen on both speakers.

6. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

I’ve looked into both these speakers. My band uses K12’s so I’m very familiar with them, and I’ve used the K12.2 in this one bar a few times. Anyways the QSC K12.2 is a very nice speaker. Bold sound, more in your face than the EV ELX112P which I also have. It also projects very well in a bigger space. I owned the EV’s and the drummer owned the QSC’s, and I thought i’d buy new speakers and upgrade my EV’s. When it came to buy though, I kept seeing recommendations for the DRS112 so that’s what I ended up buying.

I had my first gig with the DSR112 as a soundguy and I have to say it did not go so well. In short, the dsr112 sounded kinda harsh. I broke in the brand new speakers by playing loud recorded music through them for about 6-8 hours. Was this not enough?
    Anyways I used the instrument and vocal presets on my Behringer XR18 which have worked well with QSC K12, K12.2 and also EV ELX112P speakers. Although these sounded nice at first through the DSR112, after about 20 mins into the first set, I felt like I was getting ear fatigue that quickly because the highs can be unrelenting with the DSR112. I ended up adjusting a lot of the EQ’s so they were flat or actually dips on the parametric rather than the bumps I had used with the other speakers. This sounded better (less harsh) but it seemed like I was effectively trying to cover the speaker with the proverbial blanket by doing this. With the QSC and the EV speakers, I used the EQ to add some sparkle to the sound. And with the DSR112, I was using the EQ to take away what I thought was “too much” in the sound.
    Does anyone have experience with the DSR112? Is this normal and maybe I’m not used to “pro” type speakers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

That's pretty much exactly the opposite of mine and most everyone else's experience. I use the DSRs and they are far from harsh. On the other hand the QSC K12s are harsh in the mids and very harsh when pushed hard. I have no experience with the new K12.2 though so they may be different. Pretty much what the DSRs are known for is sounding clear, loud, focused and very musical straight out of the box. Particularly when pushed hard. Even into clipping. I don't like that the filter is 120Hz so I run mine full range and then cross them over around 90-100 along with my subs.

Did you possibly have something (DSP) switched in on the back of the speaker? Could have been a defective box. I can't imagine anyone thinking they sound harsh and trying to EQ them to death so I think something must have been up with the ones you had.

sants likes this.
  8. sants

sants Member

I own the original k12 and can say without a doubt, from my experience the dsr is a superior speaker. It was designed to be.

On the other hand, I can’t really say my k12s have really sounded harsh and I’ve driven them plenty hard. Used within their designed application, most well designed speakers will sound decent. If you are pushing k12s or any other speaker to the point it sounds harsh you don’t have the proper tools for the job.

The new k12.2 do sound better than the k12. I’d say the dsr may sound a little more forward so I can how some people prefer one speaker over another. I originally bought a few dxr12 and thought they sounded better when I listened in store with music playback. I heard the k12 in action and was able to compare in a band setting. I preferred the k12 and took the dxr’s back. It’s all personal preference and how we perceive things. The Yamaha had a rounder sound but the qsc has more more forward sound which emphasized vocals. That was my finding. YMMV

Compared to many of MI grade speakers, some listeners may find a pro speaker doesn’t sound as good in a music listening test. That’s because most pro boxs are designed to have a flat response so they can be tailored for live use and reproduce more accurately the source.

Looking at both the k12.2 and dsr112 charts the dsr looks to be more flat from 500hz up but with a low mid hump. I can see why some people wouldn’t like that but it looks like the bump sits in the vocal range. Which could be good in a live setting.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Floyd Eye likes this.
  9. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

subtractive EQ is usually better in the long run.

Flogger59 likes this.
  10. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

I’ll try them out again. It could be I was just worn out that day. I had a band gig the night before, then that day had a 3 hour drive to the sound gig. Everything sounded great in soundcheck (I was feeling very good about my new purchase), and then it was a long wait until the first set and I remember not feeling so good physically. I felt okay by the time the first set started and then the ear fatigue hit like I said. It was a very strange feeling not being able to adjust the settings so that everything sounded good.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Floyd Eye likes this.
  11. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

Had my 2nd sound gig with the dsr112’s and they sounded awesome. Everything just sounded so smooth and luscious, the sound was on a whole other level compared to the QSC k12’s that my bands use. Vocals and guitar really pop through the mix. These speakers really met my high expectations. My first time out with these speakers was definitely an anomaly and I was so exhausted that my ears were totally out of whack.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

That has been my experience with these speakers. Vocals and guitars sound fantastic. When I was shopping for new tops I was looking for something to keep up with a pair of LS801Ps. I A/B'ed most of the MI 12" 2 ways in this class and settled on the Yamahas. I figured at some point I would need to get a second pair to hang with the Yorkvilles. So far, even outdoors, the DSRs have kept up without breaking a sweat.

modulusman likes this.
  13. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Some thoughts - read the specification sheets for each speaker.
    Call both Yamaha and QSC and talk to the Engineers about headroom.

14. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

QSCs have better input/output options. If you ever want to input two sources into the back, the QSC does this with it's eyes closed but the Yamaha has only one input. QSC K Series have Channel A and Channel B, each with it's own independent gain control, and each with a "pass-throught" output and a Summed Output for both sources.

not much difference between 1300 and 2000 watts, but it might make a difference down the road (outside applications?? ), so in that case, QSC has better specs.

I've never played through a DSR, but I've used QSCs for years as Mains, monitors and for several months now, as an on-stage speaker for my Helix. ZERO Complaints.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  15. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

why doesn't yamaha make a dsr 10?
    i'd be very, very interested
    i love my k10s and even will be selling my k12s as a result
    i'd jump on some dsr10s if they made them though
    i've used the dsr12s and they sound great
    not MUCH better than my qsc stuff, but better

Man with Gas likes this.
  16. p19978

p19978 Supporting Member

Yamaha makes a DBR10, which I use for PA and keys... and I love them.

I think the difference is DSP options IIRC.

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

They also make a DXR10 which is a step above the DBR.

And I wouldn't get hung up on watts. Regardless of what the QSC marketing department tells you the DSR112 will outrun the K12 all day without breaking a sweat and sound better doing it.

18. orogeny

not the same construction. dsr has the wood cabinet and uses neo speakers.
    actually, i think the dxr series compares more to the k series. the dsr is more along the lines of the kw series.

it seems like the qsc k10 is going to remain my choice. oddly enough, the kw series also does not carry a ten inch!

already have and know and dig the k10s, plus i have a touchmix, so there is a mental bias towards the brand. they really are a very good sounding speaker and hold up very well against their big brother, the k12. . . except they are lighter, and i prefer the wider throw.

i have also been using an atomic CLR, and the qsc k10 compares favorably to it.

if i was surfing for 12-inch boxes again (remember, i'm selling my k12s), i'd actually choose the yamaha dsr. sound and price are phenomenal.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Also worth pointing out that the DSR specs out better than the KW122. Higher SPL ( More watts to each driver if that's your thing) Larger HF driver.

20. orogeny

also shorter and two pounds lighter = easier to get on the poles.