QSC K12 with the Axe Fx

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by bluesmostly, Sep 4, 2009.

1. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

I just ordered the new QSC K12 (mostly for PA/monitoring with the bands) but I can't wait to try it with the AXE! anyone else tried these yet? I know people are loving the QSC HPRwhatever speaker with the Axe. I just didn't want that kind of weight... I will get back to ya'll with a report!

2. Impulse 101

Impulse 101 Member

The K series stuff is very popular on the AxeFX forum. It's one of the top choices. I plan on getting a K10 or K12 myself in the near future.

JT

3. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Supporting Member

I have a pair of K10s. They sound awesome with the Axe-FX, especially with some of the Redwirez IRs. IMHO, of course.

4. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

hey Killer, what are Redwirez IR's?

5. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Supporting Member

6. heretic

heretic Member

I just got a K12 last week - really wanted the FBT Verve 12ma, but they're not readily available in SoCal stores, so I took the plunge on faith - been lurking over there at Fractal's discussion board, and read some of the glowing reviews...

This may be a little tangential to you because I do not own an Axe-Fx. I do own every generation of POD, and have tried (and sold) just about every other hardware modeler there is -Vox, Digitech, Korg, Rocktron, Zoom, you name it.
    Anyway, I am in total agreement that nothing (in the modeling world) can touch the Axe in terms of tone and feel...BUT, until Fractal makes a floor-based version, it's not for me. IMO, the X3 Live's UI, connectivity, ease-of-use and portability are currently unmatched -but that's another discussion, for another thread.

I also want to mention, I've tried going the FRFR route several times, only to be frustrated by clucky and harsh sounding tweeters, and lackluster tones. I've tried various offerings from Mackie, JBL, EV, FBT Maxx4a...and all of them pretty much left me wanting. So I approached this X3Live +QSC K12 business with a great deal of skepticism.

Sorry for this long preamble (I think it's a pre-ramble), and to sum up in a few words:
    THE QSC K12 IS DA SHIZZZZ !!!! I used it on 2 gigs and at church, and it's a keeper.
    1- It's loud. It'll keep up with any drummer and won't break a sweat.
    2-The tweeter is Smoooooooth...maybe just a little bit of "tweeterness" comes thru at only the highest volume levels.
    3-The sweet spot is big. Standing at different positions vis-a-vis this box, the tone remains consistent.
    4- 41 pounds! One trip to the car, guitar and X3 Live on one shoulder, and the QSC in my other hand.

I am actually in quite a state of disbelief over the quality of this box. Hope this "honeymoon" review helps you in your quest for the right solution for your needs. :beer

7. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

thanks H, your review echos the ones I have read. my first choice was the FBT maxx4a but i heard that the QSC k12 is better. mine should arrive today!

8. cochese

cochese Member

I've been using the K Series K10's since a around the end of May. I've done about 40 shows with them and sold my Bose PAS system after using the K10's for a couple of weeks.

I do everything from band gigs to acoustic and even play electric through them as well. I have also used the FBT's both the 15" and 10" versions over the past few years. They are excellent speakers as well but I find the K Series just sounds clearer and more true. The Bose Pas for me was still the best for running electric guitar direct as there are no high frequency drivers just an array of small speakers. The Bose system served me well for years but just had too many drawbacks and I always thought they were overpriced. I was able to sell by Bose system to pay for my 2 K10's and I broke even. When does that ever happen.

I don't own the Axe FX so I can't comment on that but in general I find even mic'ing a great sounding amp and having the sound come through good PA speakers is always a bit of a compromise. I've had the K10's in my studio and while they sound excellent a live speaker will never be as smooth sounding as a good near field monitor in a studio with good acoustics. I think it just comes down to the crossover network and the physics of live sound.. Even in a self powered speaker with separate power amps for high and low end with a digital processor the sound of a distorted electric guitar will never play nice with a live speaker as there are conflicting frequencies that fake out the crossover. Guitar speakers typically roll off around 5-7k and full range speakers go well above that and hence the sizzle.

Still I can get a very good direct sound out of the K10's and I'm sure the Axe FX will work better than my direct rig. The K8's 10's and 12's are all light weight and deliver quite a bit of low end for being so small. I haven't compared them directly to the HPR122i (but have used those as well) but for me dragging a 60lb PA speaker so I can ditch my 45lb guitar cab just doesn't make sense.

I bought mine from AMS and they have a 45 day return policy. That should be long enough for anyone to decide if something works for them.

9. Ben Jam'n

Ben Jam'n Member

I got a pair of K12's on Friday...but haven't had a chance to unbox them yet. Looking forward to it though....and I'll report back.

10. Sixstring

Sixstring Member

I demoed the K-10's and the K-12's side by side a few weeks back at Guitar denter using a CD with the EQ settings flat. The K-12's in that setting sounded much better when compaired to the 10's using the same song. The K-10's had a harsh upper mid that was very present at gig volume. For the money they are a very nice sounding speaker.

11. cochese

cochese Member

That seems strange as all three speakers have the same low and high frequency drivers and power amps. From their websites:

My guess is that the comparison between the 10" and 12" might not be accurate. I would suspect that the vocal boost switch may have been engaged on the 10" and that is not recommended for music playback. There are also switches to cut and boost the low end as well.

12. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

just got the K12 today and WOW - it sounds amazing!! really smooth and true and clean with fantastic thump for a little speaker. I can't believe how good it sounds. the Axe sounds better than I have ever heard it, this speaker really brings out all the nuances and riches of the tones. It really shows me how the rig needs a top notch amplification system.

13. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I can't disagree with any of this. My experience, though, is that a well-designed coaxial speaker with a decent crossover at an appropriate frequency (that is key....some FRFR speakers cross over at too high a frequency) is important for gettng a good guitar sound. Also, and most importantly IME, the IRs will make or break the Axe-FX live guitar sound through a FRFR monitor. Some of the sizzle people refer to is not an issue if the right speaker/mic IR is matched with the amp patch. For people without an Axe-FX, an EQ block at the end of a patch will help some, but not nearly as well as the right IR.

DS